Chapter 20 - Hyun Nam

"I like you."

"Kang Dae-"

"I've liked since high school, you probably have known by now. I know I like to annoy you with my conversations, I know how you sometimes prefer to be left alone. But I still bothered you anyway. I want to be yours. To say I like you is probably an understatement. I love you. I want to spend my whole life with you. I can never stop thinking about you, you're one of the reasons I'm still here living," he said, putting together both Hyun Nam's hands into his. His grip was more than just a symbol of affection. Even Hyun Nam was startled. He gripped her hands as if he would die if he let go. He gripped her hands as if begging her to stay. But Hyun Nam had other plans than being his.

"Kang Dae, I'm sorry," Hyun Nam frowned. She gripped Kang Dae's hands one last time before letting go. She truly felt sad and terrible for what she was about to say.

"You've been a close friend of mine and I'm sorry but that's how far I would think of you as."

"Is there no hope? At all?" he bit his lip in sorrow which made Hyun Nam feel more horrible. She shook her head slowly. They were silent. The air became colder and the traffic became louder.

"I can drive you home now if you'd like," he finally said and stood up. She felt bad but she knew that was good for the both of them, so they left their half-eaten dishes on the table.

The ride was soundless. He didn't even turn on any music or the radio. It had started raining, adding to the chilly atmosphere they already had between each other.

"Hyun Nam..."

"I'm so sorry, Kang Dae. I really am."

"No, it's not that," he stopped the car at the last traffic light before they arrived at her house. Hyun Nam couldn't look at Kang Dae, but she forced herself to. What was on Kang Dae's face was a surprise to her. It was a relieved smile, a soft one.

"Don't feel guilty. I'm okay," he smiled. He must've seen it on Hyun Nam's face: her guilt. She felt better as he said that. Though she didn't return his feelings, the tension between them they always had felt like it began to disappear. She put on a similar soft smile for him before he continued to drive.

"Thank you for the dinner," Hyun Nam waved and Kang Dae smiled back before he left her alone at the door.

"Did you have fun?" Mr. Jungho walked to her after washing one of the cars.

"He confessed and I rejected him," Hyun Nam frowned and sat on the stairs of her home.

"That's better for him to confess now than later when you're already dating that guy," Mr. Jungho smiled and walked away.

"Who are you talking about?"

"The guy you always meet and think about," he smirked and disappeared into the garage. Hyun Nam stood up immediately, Mr. Jungho reminded her of her meeting with Jeno. It was 8 pm and she had to hurry, it's better to be late than never come at all. She entered the house and rushed through the halls while opening her phone to text Jeno she was going to be late. But she stopped in her tracks as she heard laughing from her father's office.

"Yes, yes. We should definitely meet again," her father said. There was no reply so Hyun Nam guessed he was talking on the phone.

"Of course, that topic shall be discussed even more. I know my wife will be very excited in preparing for a wedding," her father continued. Hyun Nam placed her ear on the door harder, anxious to hear what that was about.

"Hyun Nam will accept it, don't worry. She'll be happy with Kang Dae."

Hyun Nam gasped silently and ran to her room, slamming the door closed. She couldn't believe it. Maybe it meant that she'll be working together with Kang Dae. Maybe they'll be joining the company. But all she could think about was an engagement soon to be happening. She doubted her father would care if she said no. But why did she rejected Kang Dae. Obviously she didn't like him, but there was something more. Though Kang Dae felt an invisible string tied to Hyun Nam, she felt she had one too. But not for Kang Dae. For someone else.

"Hyun Nam? What on earth is going on? Why are you still in your dress?" Mother barged in the room. Hyun Nam guessed she must've heard her slamming the door.

"Oh, mom!" she cried and hugged her mother. They both dropped to the floor and she continued to cry silently.

"What's wrong?" her mother worriedly asked, stroking her hair.

"Father will have me and Kang Dae engaged!" she replied through her tears. Mother stopped her stroking. She pulled away, still gripping her daughter's shoulders.

"What?!" she said in disbelief. All Hyun Nam could do was nod.

"My youngest daughter to marry? I most certainly am against it. Unless you love him, dear?" she asked, helping Hyun Nam wipe away her tears.

"No, of course, I don't love him, Mom! I just rejected him today, he confessed to me at dinner," Hyun Nam sighed and hugged her mother. Silent sniffles were the only thing heard in her bedroom. They stayed on the floor for a while, her mother hugging her tightly.

"I have to go, Hyun Nam. I'm sorry," Mother finally said.

Hyun Nam pulled away in confusion.

"Why? Where are you going? Please stay."

"Don't you remember? I'm supposed to fly out to Japan yesterday but the flight got postponed to tonight. It's about expanding my bakery. And I'm very late," she looked at the time and helped Hyun Nam to stand up.

"Mom, I beg you. Talk to Dad! I don't want to marry Kang Dae," Hyun Nam started sobbing again.

"I promise you when I get back I'll help you. I promise. I'll do anything I can, my dear," she said and kissed her daughter's forehead before leaving her alone. Hyun Nam felt like she was back at the rooftop. She felt like she was back at the hotel when the shooting happened. Except now she was alone. Tired. Frustrated. She cried even more. She was scared of the future. Scared of an unhappy life with Kang Dae. But underneath all that, she was saddened at the thought that the only chance of love she would get was to be forced to love someone she didn't want to.

-----------------------------------------------------

Author: If you enjoyed the chapter, don't forget to vote! Leave any comments/DMs for feedback, I would very much appreciate them. Thank you once again <3