Chapter 44 - Hyun Nam

The siblings would be leaving Tokyo in two days, New Year's morning was filled with meetings as usual but Jeno and Ilsung were going around together in the afternoon. Hyun Nam knew they wanted to talk or catch up but she felt left behind, also curious of what they were going to say. She managed to have herself invited to their walk through the city, it was the only thing she was thinking about during meetings. After the last meeting of the day, she immediately grabbed Ilsung and went to the car they ordered saying a quick 'Goodbye' to Eunkyung and Jihyeon who headed to the shopping district.

"What should I call you? Ilsung or Hyunshik?" Hyun Nam asked when the car door closed. The whole story last night didn't shock her too much, she already knew that Father wanted to kill Ilsung. The only new information she got last night was that Mr. Jungho killed Ilsung (he forgave him in a call saying that the fact he saved Ilsung was already enough for her), Ilsung used to be Hyunshik, and that Hyunshik was Jeno's best friend. She had already accepted all the facts already, mostly because she was still filled with adrenaline from the kiss.

"I prefer Ilsung. Hyunshik was the past, I'm both but I like Ilsung more. I don't know why," he said with a small smile before returning his eyes to the buildings they passed.

"Well, how are you feeling now?" Hyun Nam asked.

Ilsung gave a reassuring smile before saying, "I'm feeling fine, don't worry. Who you should be worried about is probably Jeno."

---

As she saw Jeno walking in the distance, she waved her arms in the air to catch his attention. When he looked up, Hyun Nam could see him smiling from his eyes even though he was wearing a mask. She walked faster and gave Jeno's hand a squeeze before Ilsung caught up with her.

"Hi," Jeno said shyly to Ilsung.

"Hi," Ilsung smiled in return. There was tension and awkwardness between them, Hyun Nam could see that. She took both of them in her arms.

"This is why I'm here today," she smiled at each of them. Hyun Nam held them close, they were equally important to her. She felt so happy dragging them from restaurants to stores to arcades while they were slowly enjoying themselves.

Hyun Nam didn't know their history. She didn't know the old, inside jokes they would share when they went home from school with the orange popsicles they bought from the canteens. But she didn't really care, seeing them hanging out together was enough for her and it wasn't because they used to be friends; it was because Ilsung's her brother and Jeno was... well, her boyfriend. She cringed whenever she thought of Jeno being her boyfriend, but not in a bad way! She just couldn't imagine that those were their titles when they refer each other. Jeno was an idol she accidentally met at the local book store, she was the daughter of one of the investors in his agency. They were coming from a long way until they could be with each other.

"It still blows my mind that you're sitting in front of me right now," Jeno said with a small smile. They were at an Italian restaurant for dinner, Hyun Nam was in a really good mood because Ilsung was paying for dinner although it was actually her turn (they would take turns paying every time they went out).

"I can't believe that I'm finally meeting you, too. By the way, I'm sorry for not telling you, I could've sent a sign or something but it just never occurred to me that I could," Ilsung said to Jeno who shook his head.

"It's okay, Hyunshik."

"Oh, call me Ilsung. I prefer that name," Ilsung said while he called the waitress. Hyun Nam saw Jeno nodding but she could see that there was a hint of sadness in Jeno's eyes. She knew Ilsung when he was Ilsung and not Hyunshik. But Jeno knew him as Hyunshik, the past Ilsung. Letting go of that name may be felt like their past and their memories together were slowly disappearing. Ilsung must've sensed it, too because he continued, "I'm still me, Jeno. Don't worry." That brought Jeno into a state of comfort.

After they had ordered their meals, Jeno and Ilsung began to talk about their high school years which felt like such a long time ago. Though Hyun Nam wasn't in their lives then, she didn't feel left out. Hyun Nam enjoyed listening to their funny stories and seeing them laugh like that made her smile. It really felt like her two worlds were merging into one, though the two boys had their own world before her.

---

The three arrived at the hotel with full stomachs, they didn't take a car but decided to enjoy the Tokyo night atmosphere instead. The streets were empty as New Year's day was ending so Jeno didn't wear a mask at all, it was a relief to him who didn't have to hide from the paparazzi.

"Wait, before we go up. I have a favor to ask you," Jeno said, stopping Ilsung and Hyun Nam from entering the elevator. Ilsung took a step back and arched his eyebrows, curious of what the favor was.

"Can you talk to your brother please? He's been... threatening me," Jeno whispered close to IIlsung's ear. His eyes went wide with shock and disbelief. Jeno's whisper was loud enough for Hyun Nam to hear or she just had really good hearing.

"WHAT?! Ilsung's brother has been threatening you?" Hyun Nam decreased the volume of her voice as Jeno placed a finger over his lips.

"For what reason?" Ilsung asked.

"He thinks I killed you," Jeno's eyes lowered to the floor and his mouth curved into a frown.

"But doesn't he know you're alive? No?"

"Like what I said last night, they don't. I lied when I said I send them money under my name. It's under Mr. Jungho's name. I never went home. Never contacted my little brother," Ilsung said, his frown matching with Jeno's.

Hyun Nam couldn't imagine how Ilsung's little brother must've been feeling these years. Different from Hyun Nam, his little brother has spent time with him and his loss would feel like being torn apart. It must've felt like how she lost her mother. The thought of her made Hyun Nam frown as well.

"So can you?"

"I'll have to ask Mr. Jungho if it'll be alright. Telling my brother to stop means also announcing that I'm alive to both my brother and my mom," Ilsung's words were weak and filled with difficult thoughts, Hyun Nam could sense it.

"Let's think about it later. For now, have a good night's sleep," Hyun Nam said and entered the elevator with them, but she knew Ilsung won't be able to sleep, thinking about how his family would react when they see him.

-----------------------------------------------------

Author: If you enjoyed the chapter, don't forget to vote! Leave any comments/DMs for feedback, I would very much appreciate them. Thank you once again <3