Chapter 28 - Jeno

"Going there again?" Jaemin asked Jeno who was putting on his shoes. Jeno gave him a nod before opening the door and leaving his dorms. The time he spent going to the library was longer than he thought it would be when he first planned on going there, yet he liked it. It gave him the time to relax and walking around the city gave him exactly that. The subway was not as full with people going to work, so for once, he got a seat. The quiet and empty subway allowed him to feel free from the worry of the usual whispering and hidden photos. Though he's always happy to meet his supporters, being alone and unbothered in public was always nice. He walked into the library in hopes to see the brown-haired girl with the usual stack of books ready to be checked out, but she was nowhere to be found. He remembered that she lost someone she loved recently but a part of him wished for her to be there with a smile.

"She's inside," the librarian said, catching a glimpse of Jeno looking around. He turned to the smiling woman before heading to the staff door Hyun Nam led him through the first time. He could hear faint music playing in the darkness of the storage room, lit up by only the light from the secret library. Jeno found her sitting on the floor with a book in hand, nodding and humming to the music.

"Hyun Nam?" Jeno said. The girl looked up, startled.

"You're here?" she asked and scooted over for the boy to sit down. As he moved closer to her, she moved away. Jeno noticed it and had no idea what was wrong with her.

"I should be asking you. Are you feeling any better?" Jeno asked, ignoring Hyun Nam who was fidgeting whenever Jeno moved.

"Well, I will always miss her, but these books help me a lot," she trailed off, going back to her reading. Once she went silent, Jeno analyzed her face, trying to understand her feelings at the moment. Hyun Nam's eyes wandered off from the pages and to Jeno's staring eyes, who quickly looked away.

"Do you want some space? I'm sorry if I was too close," Jeno apologized and started sitting farther away from her.

He stopped.

Hyun Nam's hand was holding his wrist.

"It's not that. It's just I feel really guilty for what happened a few days ago," Hyun Nam mumbled. Jeno sat down beside Hyun Nam again as she let go of her hold of his wrist.

"I remember I kept on crying on your shoulder and I think that was why you're clothes were wet. Well, except for the fact that we sat down on the sidewalk while it was raining," she said, looking down and closing her book after sliding a bookmark in it.

"I was too selfish, I'm so sorry," Hyun Nam sighed, still unable to look at Jeno in the eye.

Jeno went silent.

Hyun Nam stole a glance at Jeno's face. He was thinking. Jeno was thinking of the words that would come out of his mouth. He didn't want to say anything wrong.

"Jeno, say something, please?"

Jeno put his hand on Hyun Nam's shoulder, making her look up to see his face. He put on his bright smile and patted her head.

"You lost your mother, Hyun Nam. You weren't being selfish," Jeno smiled and brought his hand back. Hyun Nam looked away. Not out of fear but out of embarrassment. She didn't know why he suddenly patted her head, all she wanted to do was hide her reddening cheeks.

"Besides, you can always be selfish when you're with me," Jeno sighed with a smile on his face, facing upwards towards the ceiling. Hyun Nam didn't understand what he meant but all she knew was he left her heart racing.

---

"I'm going to the restroom," Hyun Nam said and left Jeno alone in front of the library. As the day started, the road started filling up as usual and he had to put on his mask and cap to cover his face. Every once in a while, people would stare at him, but they never asked any questions about his identity and just went on with their day.

"We meet again, Jeno," a man called from beside him. Jeno looked to his right and saw Mr. Jungho standing in front of Hyun Nam's car. He had a smile filled with relief and joy, it only made Jeno more curious.

"So how are you going to help me? I can die any day now," Jeno chuckled as he stood closer to the driver. Though he was smiling, Mr. Jungho could sense the fear in Jeno's chuckle. Mr .Jungho looked over Jeno's shoulder to find Hyun Nam not outside yet. He placed a hand on Jeno's shoulder.

"Don't worry, I won't let you die. I've created a plan and I already have its key with me. I thought I would have to wait for the key longer, but the universe seems to be on your side, Jeno," Mr. Jungho smile grew wider as he pulled out a device from under his coat. Jeno stared at what look like the devices his parents used when they were in highschool.

"It looks vintage but trust me its not. Just by one click of this button, a team will be at your location in less than 5 minutes," Mr. Jungho said and placed the device safely in Jeno's palm where he patted it before closing Jeno's fingers to guard it.

"Jeno! I see you've been talking with Mr. Jungho," Hyun Nam smiled, running from the library doors. Jeno hurriedly placed the device in his coat's pocket.

"I need to go, it's almost 7 and I have a meeting with the managers," Jeno said to Hyun Nam, though he was actually saying it to Mr. Jungho as well. After Mr. Jungho entered the car, the two stood awkwardly on the sidewalk.

"Err... Goodbye, then," Hyun Nam said who was going for a hug when Jeno didn't expect it. She pulled back when she saw Jeno's shocked face but then Jeno reached in for a hug as well. At the end, they did a stiff side hug before Hyun Nam waved him off, Jeno holding the device in his palm with his eyes still stealing glances of the driver.

-----------------------------------------------------

Author: If you enjoyed the chapter, don't forget to vote! Leave any comments/DMs for feedback, I would very much appreciate them. Thank you once again <3