Chapter 19 - Hyun Nam

Father announced another investment conference to be held with a famous food chain in South Korea. However, what Hyun Nam dreaded the most was that it was a joint investment with HY Group whose president is Kang Dae's father. The two families would be connected more than ever now. Mr. Jungho had consoled Hyun Nam in the car the other day after her father announced the conference to the family: "At least you're not engaged to him." Hyun Nam scoffed at the idea but agreed with Mr. Jungho. This wasn't the worst-case scenario.

    Hyun Nam was in a dilemma. She didn't want to dress too extravagantly because she didn't want everyone to think she dressed that way to impress Kang Dae. On the other hand, she wanted to dress similarly to the SM investment conference dress she wore because she would be doing another speech. Though, she was told she would be doing the speech together with Kang Dae. She decided to deal with the first problem, she needed to make a good impression on the conference's guests.

    The venue wasn't as huge as the one prepared for the SM conference but it was still large. Like always, they were always the ones arriving after the majority has come. Father always wanted to make a big entrance. "Dong Min!" exclaimed Mr. Chulsoon. Similar to Kang Dae, Mr. Chulsoon had a tall and slim figure, though Kang Dae was very much more muscular. Mr. Chulsoon was one of those people that never smiles, only to people he has a good relationship with, which isn't that many. Luckily, the president of Choi K Group was one of them. Hyun Nam had only met Mr. Chulsoon twice. Once in her high school graduation, where she met Kang Dae as a classmate, and when he came to the office to meet her father. It was always just the two of them. Kang Dae's mother left when he was just 3 years old so Hyun Nam doubted Kang Dae had actual memories with her.

    "You look beautiful, Hyun Nam," he smiled to which Hyun Nam replied with a small smile and nod. A compliment should never be replied with a rude manner, even though the person giving it was someone she would like to avoid. Though Hyun Nam didn't want to admit it, Kang Dae looked nice in his suit as well. The room watched as the two families sat on the same round table, they almost looked like the royal family.

    Hyun Nam couldn't help but notice how Kang Dae was different in the presence of his father. He sat straighter, his eyes never left the presenter, he even sipped his water differently. She was giggling internally at the facade he was holding up for his father, it was very much different from his behavior at university. Although he was still focused during lessons and practices, he was more carefree and flirtatious.

    Like the other conferences she attended, time passed quickly until it was time for their speech. A staff member led the two to the side of the stage where one of the executives was closing off their presentation. Hyun Nam ran through her speech over and over her head, she was sure she wouldn't be making any mistakes, like the usual. The audience clapped to welcome the two representatives. Kang Dae gave his arm to Hyun Nam which made her stop. The whole room was looking at her, what would become of her reputation if she ignored Kang Dae's arm? What would Father say? It would definitely be something Hyun Nam didn't enjoy hearing. How about Jeno? She surprised herself at the thought of how Jeno came up in her mind at a time like this. Kang Dae eyed her and smiled as she slipped her arm into his. Kang Dae introduced both of them through the mic, "Our fellow guests and esteemed executives, the both of us stand here as the two representatives of Choi K Group and HY Group..."

    "That was a great speech, Hyun Nam. You did well," Mr. Chulsoon congratulated with a proud smile as if looking at his own daughter's accomplishments.

    "Thank you, Kang Dae did very well, too," Hyun Nam smiled, stealing a glance of Kang Dae who she saw blushing because of her compliment. The two families walked out of the venue together, Eunkyung and Jihyeon in a rapid conversation, Father and Mr. Chulsoon laughing at whatever they were talking about and Mother quietly walking in the arms of Father. Kang Dae walked beside Hyun Nam. In the eyes of a stranger, they would look like a couple. The group stopped at the lobby and Hyun Nam was too excited to go home and get ready to meet Jeno at Starfield that day. They planned on meeting at 8 pm and it was 7 now, she still had plenty of time. She thought about the clothes she was going to wear. Oh, how she wished she could meet him with the dress she had on.

    "Mr. Dong Min, I would like to take Hyun Nam out for dinner tonight if that's fine with you, sir," Kang Dae said to Father. Mr. Chulsoon had a grin on his face, it looked like they had planned this dinner before. Father grew a smile when Hyun Nam's disappeared.

    "Of course, but don't bring her home too late," Father said and patted Kang Dae on the shoulder. The car came for the both of them as the valet left it. Hyun Nam was right, he had prepared this beforehand and even brought his car.

    "Hyun Nam?" Kang Dae extended his hand. She wanted to shout 'no'. She wanted to say that she had plans, but Father would punish her if she said it was with Jeno. Everyone was staring at them both, waiting for Hyun Nam to take his hand. She looked over to Mother who had a painful smile on her face, she knew Hyun Nam didn't want to go but she was in no position to do anything. I'm sorry, Jeno.

    They had dinner at a rooftop bar and restaurant. It turns out Kang Dae had booked the whole place for just the two of them. It made things even more awkward. Hyun Nam didn't have the appetite, she only looked at the city below her. Searching for the library and Jeno. She believed she would see him waiting for her outside.

    "Hyun Nam? Are you okay? You look bothered," Kang Dae worriedly asked. Hyun Nam turned her head to Kang Dae, he was already eating his food whereas she didn't even start. She shook her head and ate.

    "I'm sorry I didn't ask you, first. It was a surprise I planned out," he said, a slight hint of sadness appeared on his face but it disappeared. Hyun Nam was stuck. She couldn't leave nor she could say anything about Jeno. She felt alone. If she could fly, she would jump off the rooftop now and fly to the library where she would meet Jeno and be surrounded by thousands of books. Probably the only two things she would want to see now at this moment.

    "I actually have something to say to you," Kang Dae started, making Hyun Nam arch her eyebrows. He looked away for a while as if trying to find the words. His face turned to her, his face hardened but softened at the same time.

Don't say it.

Please.

Please, Kang Dae.

"I like you."

-----------------------------------------------------

Author: If you enjoyed the chapter, don't forget to vote! Leave any comments/DMs for feedback, I would very much appreciate them. Thank you once again <3