Chapter 5 - Hyun Nam

"So, why are you here?" Hyun Nam asked, letting go of his grip and putting her hands behind her. "To watch a movie," he chuckled at Hyun Nam's confused face. "I'm joking. It's a library, Hyun Nam. I'm here to get some books, of course. Specifically, some for me to study and some novels to accompany me at night," he smiled. Jeno's smile was one of those a person rarely finds in their lifetime. His eyes were reduced to a single arc; his smile filled the space between them with warmth. Hyun Nam stared at the books he was holding, one of them being Blue Moon: Happily Ever After, which she read a few years ago, one of her favorite romance novels.

"You have good taste," she motioned towards the book, and his smile returned.

"Oh, this? I'm rereading this for the second time. Have you read it?" he brought up the book and gave it to her. She nodded excitedly. Who knew a busy artist could find time to read one of the best love stories there was? There was a sudden untouched silence. They didn't know where to look or say. Hyun Nam tried to avoid his eyes; she didn't want to make it more awkward than it already is.

"Well, I have to go. I need to head back to SM for practice," he ended the silence. Hyun Nam immediately remembered her father asking her to pick up some documents tomorrow at SM and maybe meet some artists. Dad would be proud if I had been talking with one today, right? she thought.

"I actually am going there after this," she replied quickly, giving the book back to Jeno.

"We can go there together," Jeno smiled and led the way to the librarian's desk. Hyun Nam stood back to let him check his books out, but he insisted on her going first. After the librarian quickly checked her books out, she proceeded to Jeno's.

"I'll wait outside," Hyun Nam told Jeno and walked outside the library's doors. She found her chauffeur still waiting in her car; Hyun Nam quickly running towards it.

"Mr. Jungho, I'm going to the SM building with one of the artists, so you can just follow his car later on; I'll be in the same car with him," Hyun Nam said to him from the car window. However, he hesitated.

"Don't worry, I'll stay safe," Hyun Nam smiled and left the car right as Jeno went out of the library.

"So, are we going in your company's car?" Hyun Nam confusedly asked, looking around to see no black vans or managers waited for them. Jeno's chuckle made her realize they weren't going to.

"I came here myself, actually. This area is not too crowded, and I convinced my manager that it'd be quick. Besides, they can track my location." Hyun Nam realized Jeno said the last part with a hint of displeasure. The feeling was mutual; Father always tracked wherever she goes but not as strict because he trusts the chauffeur not to let Hyun Nam go anywhere alone. Little did he know, the chauffeur was more on Hyun Nam's side.

"So...?"

"The subway. Come on," he replied with a small smile, now covered with a mask, and started walking, still having his eyes on Hyun Nam, who quickly texted the chauffeur that she was going on the subway. For Hyun Nam, it was already a great start they talked a bit. Hyun Nam felt lucky she had met Jeno and not anyone else; she didn't know if the others could keep a conversation with a stranger going like he does, even though there were some silent moments in between. 

During the walk to the station, Hyun Nam understood what her father's intention was when he asked her to get closer to the executives or artists. As Jeno talked about his recent practices, still keeping it hushed, and the number of books he could read with the amount of freedom he has, she realized she was listening to the very thing any reporter would've killed to hear; an idol's perspective on the idol life. Learning about this could help her a lot in future investments in the entertainment industry. Besides, it was interesting to know the hidden stories of what Ji Hyeon has been a fan of for years.

"We're here, and I assume you have your card?" Jeno said, walking to the entrance.

She did not. Hyun Nam was lucky. Jeno stopped before passing the gate to check.

"No?" he asked, and Hyun Nam shook her head, trying to hide the fact she rarely went on subways. The clueless girl followed the boy to one of the machines built near the gates. He, again, stood back to let her buy one. She chuckled nervously and stood before an unfamiliar machine. Her only subway card was locked in a drawer at home, and her chauffeur had gotten it for her.

Jeno waited patiently. Should she ask him for help and reveal how ridiculous she looked? She hesitated, but instead, she gave time for Jeno to come forward.

"You don't know how to buy one?" he joked.

She shook her head; she wasn't joking at all. Jeno's face dropped before rising again to a smile; he had tried to hold in his laughter.

"Okay, this is how..." he guided Hyun Nam through the whole thing, had to repeat it twice because she kept on pressing the wrong buttons. Luckily, Jeno had the patience; he found it quite humorous to see a girl who delivered a speech with such knowledge and elegance a few days ago struggle to buy a subway card.

"I did it!" Hyun Nam cheered after a long 10 minutes. Anyone passing by could mix them both up with a young boy teaching an old lady how to use 21st-century technology.

Although she had difficulty getting out of the gates at the last station, they both successfully arrived at SM's building. She was familiar with the entrance as she did pass by the building a couple of times, but the one she used with Jeno that day was different. It was definitely an entrance only artists and staff could access.

"I'll leave you to it, then," Jeno dropped Hyun Nam off in front of the office.

He waved while walking away towards the elevator. Hyun Nam just realized she wouldn't be meeting him again if his number was still non-existent on her phone. Before entering the office, she rushed down the hallway towards the elevator.

She bumped into a boy.

"Oh, I was just about to come back to you," he smiled.

Was he...?

"Can I have your number? Maybe we can meet up sometime when you decide to come to the library or the SM building," he said. Hyun Nam could see his smile even though he was wearing a mask; his eyes revealed it. It was funny how Jeno had beaten her to these questions.

"Yes, I was just about to ask the same thing."

-----------------------------------------------------

Author: If you enjoyed the chapter, don't forget to vote! Leave any comments/DMs for feedback, I would very much appreciate them. Thank you once again <3