Part 52- The Last Night

Does Tom really want to do that? We've talked about how we wouldn't until we both were ready or married. We've always said that marriage would be the best idea because that isn't something to take lightly, giving yourself to someone like that. These thoughts surrounded my brain for the entire day, nothing else could get past. Yea sure everyone our age has probably done it but I don't think either one of us were ready for that...or was it just me? We only have one more day before we leave this camp and I'm so glad I'll be back home even though this was nice for a change. However going back home and Tom not being there will be hard. "Hey Novalee" Forrest catches up to me on the hike we were all taking. I smiled at him, "hey". "So I was thinking our group could exchange numbers so we can talk after we leave for camp" he suggests. "Uh sure sounds good" I tell him, "I'll write it down when we get back to the campsite". "Ok cool" he smiles. We chat for the rest of the hike. "Wait so you've been in movies?" he asks me excited to hear my response. "Yea but just in the background, Tom's brothers and my brother have been in them too." "That is so cool, what movies" he asked me dying to know. "The Impossible" I reply. "Oh I love that movie" he exclaims, "what part were you in?" We continue to talk about my 5 minutes of fame. A couple hours later and it's dinner time. "Alright everyone settle down, settle down" Mr. August tells us.

"Ok so some of you might know that five of you will receive a scholarship based on your work this past week. Since tonight is our last night here we will be announcing the lucky individuals. This is based on the writings you have submitted and the teamwork you've shown the last 4 days. The highest scholarship is $100,000 and the lowest is $10,000. This is a great honor so please congratulate the winners after they have been announced" he pulls out a list and I hope my name is on there because there's no way my family will be able to afford college for both me and Harrison. "Our first scholarship of $10,000 is awarded to Sarah Greyson" we all clapped while Sarah got up. "Our next scholarship of $20,000 goes to John Tucker" at this point I don't think I'll get a scholarship. I've heard the writings these people have produced and it is far better than mine. "Our third scholarship of $50,000 goes to Forrest Miller" I look over to Forrest who is looking at me so excited. "Go get it" I tell him yelling over all the clapping. He runs up to the stage to grab his scholarship. He comes back to show us, "you deserve this" I told him thinking back to the poem he wrote about me. Our fourth scholarship of $75,000 goes to Jessica St. Clair" we all continue clapping. "And lastly, our highest and last scholarship of $100,000 goes to a camper that may not have thought they were a great writer, nor submitted something they thought was worthy, but a fellow camper submitted a private work of theirs and it was astounding. So let's give it up for Novalee Osterfield" I start clapping not even realizing they called my name, I wasn't expecting them to so I wasn't even paying much attention. Forrest tapped my shoulder, "Novalee go get your award darling" he said without a second thought. "Congratulations" Marlee told me as I got up to go get my scholarship. "Novalee would you do us a favor and read what you have written here" Mr. August asks me as I accept my scholarship. "Uh sure" confused as to what I wrote that was so great.

I look over my handwriting and realize. It was a love letter to Tom that I never gave to him. "I'm not sure I'm comfortable readin-" I try to tell Mr. August. "Nonsense it's beautiful" he shoves me closer to the mic stand. I clear my throat, I was never one for public speaking. "His eyes are made of mud, the dark soil that is his vision to the world. The freckles on his skin, like the rain was dirty, sprinkled on his skin. His hair a dark brown like the very tree trunk that we swung from as kids. His body, sculpted, his smile, priceless, his laugh, awakens my soul. For when that boy stares in my eyes with his muddy ones, I can see the future from the ground up. The very mud that lays in his eyes is the mud that our house will rest on. The house that we can grow old in, the house we will raise our children in. I can hear the laugh of our children, it reminds me of his. Those same eyes that peered through my fence all those years ago are the same eyes that I fall in love with more and more each day. Those eyes belonged to a boy and now they belong to my man, my partner, my friend, my lover." I finish as tears roll off my face. I look up and everyone is clapping but I couldn't hear them at first. I make my eyes to Forrest who is smiling widely. "Thank you" I mouth to him from the podium. I knew he had to be the one that submitted the poem. He winked at me and Mr. August comes over to me, "a very compelling love poem from our highest scholarship winner, Novalee Osterfield, give her another round of applause!" Everyone claps and I head back to my group.

We all were dismissed to our campsites, the last night was upon us. People were more adventurous tonight since it was the last night of camp, as we headed back to our campsite, I could see people sneaking in to others peoples tents. Some vulgar noises could be heard from some, that's when my group started to walk faster as not to hear the little rendezvous people were having. When we reached our campsite Laine and Marlee got into Marlee's tent. Forrest and I looked at each other wide eyed, we did not expect that. "No loud noises you two" Forrest taps on their tent. We try not to laugh as we both ask towards our own tents. "Uh do you want to uh come to my tent" Forrest asked me. I furrowed my brow at him, knowing he heard my love poem to Tom not 30 minutes ago. "NO NO NO NOT IN THAT WAY" he stuck out in his hands in defense. I took a deep breath of relief. "Sorry that sounded like I wanted to have sex with you but I don't, not that you're not a pretty girl but you have a boyfriend, and that boyfriend is Tom Holland and-" he's rambling on. "FORREST" I yell to break him of his defensive ramble before he says something he shouldn't. "I don't think going into each other's tents with me dating Tom, would be a good idea, I don't want people thinking I'm cheating on him when I'm not" I explain to him. He shrunk down in disappointment, "no I get it, I didn't even think of that, I'm sorry, you're a really good girlfriend" he said. "I try to be" I smile. "What if we just talked out here though" he asked. I nodded my head. He got the fire started and we started talking about what was going to happen in the future. "Do you really think you'll stay with Tom you're whole life" he asked. "Yes I do, I hope so" I start to say, "I really love him and I know he loves me." "Wow" Forrest says. "What" I ask. "You have already found the love of your life and you're not even 18" he replied. I smiled knowing what he said was true. Just then we were quiet and we could hear a moaning "Laine" coming from the tents next to us. "Come on Marlee, faster" we hear and I gag. "Alright you two break it up we can hear you" Forrest yells at them. "Sorry" we hear Marlee call out. Forrest and I laugh quietly.

The next morning we all pack our things and take down our tents, we'll Forrest took mine down since my arm is still in a cast. Marlee and Laine have been making out every chance they get. It's really gross and annoying. But maybe Laine will be her Tom. Forrest carries my stuff to the loading dock. We board the boat and head across the lake. "Ok we all have each other's numbers right" Forrest asks our group. "Yes" we all respond. "Are you going back to America soon" I ask Forrest. "No I'll be in London until next year to finish up my schooling" he responded. "You'll have to come hang with Tom and I when Tom isn't filming" I tell him. "Oh for sure, just text me" he says. We pull up to the other side of the lakes loading dock. I try to get my things off the boat again but Forrest got them for me. I try to step down myself but Forrest insisted that I not break something else and helped me down by holding my hand and my waist. It was awkward but I know he only means good will. "Thank you" I tell him. We start to look for our rides back home, just then I see Tom. I run to him leaving all my luggage behind with Forrest. I wrap myself around him when I reach him. I stick my lips right on his. He's warm and tanner from what I left him with. "You're here" I exclaim as I pull away from him. "I couldn't not pick up my favorite girl" he told me. I smile and kiss him once more. Forrest walks up and Tom pulls away and puts me down. "Can I help you" he says. "Uh I was just bringing over Novalee's luggage for her Mr. Holland" Forrest replied nervously. "Tom this is Forrest, he's my friend from camp" I explain to him. Forrest reached out to shake his hand. Tom goes to meet his hand looking at me. "Your girlfriend is a great writer" Forrest tells Tom. "I know" he says in a deeper voice seeing that Forrest towers over him. I smile at the exchange. "Forrest has helped me through camp with my arm being in a cast" I told Tom as I grabbed his arm. "Well thank you for taking such good care of her" Tom says. "Oh you're welcome sir, I have to go but I hope to meet up with you guys soon" Forrest says as we hear a mans voice in the distance calling his name. "Novalee it's been a pleasure, congrats again" he tells me smiling, I smile back at him. "See you later" I tell him. He walks off and Tom turns to me. "He's a weird fellow. And congrats for what" he asked. "He's nice. And oh nothing, I just won the highest paid scholarship for a love poem I wrote about you" I tell him smiling and proud of myself. "About me" he questions as he grabs my luggage. "Yes about you who else would I write about," I replied. "You'll have to read it to me" he says smirking, "I'm so happy for you babe" he tells me as he puts my luggage down in front of me and pulls me in for a kiss.