Part 3- Can't Sleep

Tom continued to do "Billy Elliot" for the next two years. He was home on and off, Harrison always overjoyed when he was home. I even found myself getting happy when Tom came home just because it made Harrison so happy. When Tom was finally done with "Billy Elliot" he came home and Harrison and him were inseparable. As for me and the boys, Paddy now included, we stuck to ourselves. It's not like Tom and Harrison would have let us in anyways. I was now twelve years old and the oldest boys were fourteen. It's crazy how fast the time flew by. One night, I just couldn't sleep so I went outside to get some fresh air. I sat on the tree swing my dad had made me and Harrison when we were kids. Slowly rocking myself back and forth staring at the ground. I didn't know why I was this awake, it bothered me that I just couldn't sleep. Suddenly I hear the back door of the next door neighbors house- the Holland's house. I see Tom standing on his back porch. Both of our porch lights are on so it wasn't completely dark. He turns his head and sees me staring at him. I awkwardly wave and he waved back. We both start heading for the fence where he used to peek through. "Can't sleep" Tom says. "Nope" I answered. "Me too" he says as he sits on the ground. I go to sit on the ground as well, the fence in between us.

We started talking about Tom in Billy Elliot and what it was like being up on stage all those nights. "Honestly at first it was terrifying" Tom said. "Really, it didn't look like you were terrified" I tell him kind of laughing at the end. "Yea, that's called good acting," he said laughing. I rolled my eyes, but he couldn't see. "As the nights went on it got easier, but man like the first two weeks, I was in shock" he told me. The rest of the night we talked about what we wanted our futures to be like. "Well I'll continue to do acting and maybe one day I can hold an amazing character that many people will love" Tom said as the night became cold. "I want to become a writer" I told him confidently. Tom laughed at me, "you, a writer?" he laughed some more. "Hey, I'd make a great writer, you just wait and see" I told him sticking my tongue out at him through the fence. He stuck his tongue out back at me. We kept talking until the early morning, we had stopped talking only because we had fallen asleep leaned up against the fence. I woke up to the sound of Tom's voice. "Nova wake up" I hear. As I woke up rubbing my head, I looked over at the whole in my fence to see Tom rubbing his eyes.

"We fell asleep talking" I say laughing. "Yea who would think we'd get along" Tom chuckles. "Right" I said getting up and dusting off my pants. "Well it was nice talking to you Nova, I'll see you later" Tom says walking away from the fence. "Bye Tom" I said as I head inside to take a shower. When Tom comes over later that day to hang out with Harrison, he stopped in my doorway. "Hey" he says. "Hey" I respond. "You want to hang with me and Haz today?" He asks. My eyes bug out and my hand raises to my chest. "Are you serious" I said in a sassy tone. "Nope" he says and walks away smiling. "You suck" I told him. I smile in your room when you know no one is watching. "Am I crushing on Tom" I say in my head. I shook my head no in disbelief. After dinner Tom had headed home. As I went to bed that night I couldn't stop thinking about the night before. I couldn't sleep once again, but I was exhausted. I decided to head outside again, hoping that Tom was there to talk me to sleep. I got outside and went to the spot in the fence where we had talked before. About five minutes later Tom walked outside and went to the fence. "Oh, I didn't think you'd be here again" Tom said. "Oh well I couldn't sleep again" I told him. "Thinking about me perhaps" Tom said in a flirtatious way. "Uh no" I say quickly. "Sure, whatever you say" Tom said.