Part 49- Setting Up Camp

We dock on the other side of the lake and we are instructed to grab our bags. I didn't realize how heavy my bag was because Tom was carrying it for me the entire time and with this cast it's going to be a lot harder than I thought. I guess you could see me struggling because just as I was about to fall over from getting my suitcase from the crate they kept them in, a tall young man came to help me. "You probably shouldn't try to do that with your cast" he says handing me my suitcase one handed with little to no effort. "Oh thanks, uh" I pause trying to catch his name. "My names Forrest" he says deeply with somewhat of a country accent. "You're not from here are you" I ask. "No ma'am I'm from America. I want to be a journalist and I'm here for the semester, I'm taking it abroad" he says with his deep American accent, "my parents thought it might be a good idea to get some ideas and motivation from." I'm lost in his accent, it's just like my dads. See my dad was an American who came over to London during a vacation with his family when he was younger and he met my mom. So I have a little bit of both, that's why my accent is always different. "Nice to meet you Forrest, I'm Nova" I reply. "Do you want me to carry this for you" he asks politely. "No I have it now, thank you though" I respond. He hands me my suitcase and we head to the meeting place to find what site we'll be staying at.

"Ok Novalee, Forrest, Marlee, and Laine" one of the instructors starts to list, "you will be in campsite number 12." Forrest turns to look at me, "look we get to be camping buddies" he says with a smile on his face. I roll my eyes and laugh at him and we head to meet Jessica and Laine. Marlee is a taller beautiful blonde haired girl, shes already standing next to Laine who is a shorter but about as tall as Sam, black haired boy who looks like he could be 25. "Hi I'm Forrest" he tells them with his hand out ready to shake theirs. They grab his hand and shake it, "hi I'm Marlee" she says confidently. "Laine" he shortly remarks. "Nova" I tell them both, shaking their hands too. I look over to Forrest who's gushing over Marlee, but he's trying not to make it obvious. I turn and look at Laine, "hey aren't you that one guys girlfriend, what's his name again, uh" he says trying to think of Tom. "Tom Holland" I say. "Yea that's the one" he replies. "Yes I am" I respond with a smile on my face. "Wow really, I love his role in The Impossible" Marlee says excitedly. "Yea, we've been dating for about 3 years now" I tell them. "Wow 3 years" Forrest chimes in shaking his head in disbelief. "Well shouldn't we find our campsite" Marlee changes the subject. We all nod and go to find campsite number 12.

We find the campsite and start setting up our tents, Forrest comes over with his tent already put up and helps put mine up. "Thank you" I tell him as he puts the last rod in. "No problem" he drops the tent and smiles at me. The other campers finish putting up their tents, it's about 5 o'clock now and we're all supposed to meet by "the Pit" as they call it for dinner. We all head about a quarter mile down to The Pit and see a fire going in the center and the instructors are passing out brown bags that have our dinner in them. Campers are filing in and we all start to eat. My group all sits on one log that they had set out for us to sit on. We make small talk until the instructor speaks up. "Can I have everybody's attention" he says, "I'm Mr.August and I will be one of the main instructors that helps you with your writing journey this week. We will not only be writing but we will be doing team building exercises that help give you something to write about." He continues on saying what we're expected to do this week and some ground rules. "Please do not share your tent with anyone else, this helps us maintain cleanliness and keeps us from having to split our groups differently, if you know what I mean" he says as he turns to look at me. The instructor that found me and Tom must have told him what he saw in the parking lot. My face starts to feel like it's burning and I know it's not from the fire.