Chapter 3

Anonymous POV

Agatha went inside and grabbed some snacks to munch on. She waited for her parents on the couch. The TV was on. Minutes passed by, when she got too bored she got up and at the exact same time the front door opened. They got in. After a brief talk about their late coming Sara and Robert laid down the pizza they had bought. They ate and departed to their room.

Agatha went inside her room. The big grandfather clock on the hall chummed, tic-toc tic-toc. She went near the window and sat down. The moon was crescent shaped. The white moonlight seeped inside. Her face bathed in it.

She got up and opened the windows. Cold fresh air kissed as it went. It was a year born to make all the things better. Five years before, a pandemic hit in this world. Many people died, many people's health weakened. But by the time the vaccines reached common man, it also had some flaws. After everything got over this is the first year the people of the earth was enjoying their lives in a complete normal way.

Agatha called this year blessed. She had forgotten what it feels like to go to school like a normal kid before the pandemic. Now she is going to go to college. She was happy for that, but somewhere she knew it's going to be different. She was scared if things will go wrong. Now that they don't have to wear a mask she was thinking that she would have to smile every people she saw. She was a real crowd pleaser, but she was also nervous like any other person in this world.

She had many friends, but her parents was her best buddies. Sarah and Robert. Sarah was a writer, and Robert was a cartoonist. They worked together. Her friends before the pandemic was still her friends. They saw each other virtually and shared everything through their phones.

Once or twice in a year they went to each other's houses and had a little time on their own. Apart from that she hadn't got any real pleasure of getting reliable and trustworthy friends.

Agatha's mind drifted towards her past. She stayed there looking at the window. After an hour her eyes were red and watery, she curled up on the floor. She was thinking about her boyfriend — Josh. He had died when they were in ninth grade. They were best friends. Her heart broke whenever she was thinking about him. Nobody knew how he died, it is still a mystery. Police had investigated his case for about a year, but it was a clueless event.

Agatha got up from the cold floor and adjusted herself inside her blankets. She closed her heavy eyes and drifted off to a small slumber.

The next day early morning they went to the dark forest. As usual Robert told the tale about the forest and Sara thought her about surviving in the woods. Agatha always thinks why would she need that. It's not like she is going to live in the forest. She will never say that loud because she liked it and knowing such things can save her. But Agatha was highly intolerant of bugs. She hated it like anything.

They had some limitations. They couldn't go deep into the forest, it was forbidden. So they sat on their regular place and enjoyed their picnic.

They went home a bit later than usual enjoying the breeze, green and the song of nature.

After they got home, it was nearly night. They packed their bags. Agatha was unhappy about it. She hadn't seen Alton, and she didn't even have his number to contact.

They returned to their home by twelve o'clock, midnight. Then the rest got blurred in their tiredness.

The next day morning Sarah went to Agatha's room. She knocked twice. No response, 'she is sleeping' Sarah muttered herself. She slowly opened the door and slipped inside. Agatha was sleeping soundly in her bed not knowing the sun is above her head. Sarah looked at her lovingly. Her little girl sleeping. She kind of looked funny while sleeping.

Sarah sat on Agatha's bed and patted her head lovingly. Agatha opened her eyes.

“Rise and shine, big day today” Sarah said.

Agatha sat up in her bed. Sarah stood up and opened Agatha's closet door. From the bottom of it she took a cardboard box and placed it on her bed.

Agatha looked at it.

“Take it with you, when you miss us just go through that.” Sarah smiled holding back a sob. She kissed Agatha's forehead and went out.

Agatha opened the box, it had her old memories. Photos from her Orphanage, gifts the sisters had made for her, her small collection of seashells, Josh's letters and many more pictures.

Her eyes filled. She saw a paper down the box. She took it and opened it. The letter she had with her when she was found by Sister Margaret. She opened it there was a piece of paper drew with pencil. The mysterious note. She tucked it back and closed the box.

She got ready fast. Agatha put on her blue hoodie and black jeans. She tied her hair in a lazy bun.

She ran to the kitchen and stuffed some bread in her mouth. She ran back and bought down all her bags.

Her parents were already ready. Robert took the bags out. She carefully placed the cardboard box in the back seat and stood there looking at her home.

Robert kept all the luggage in the car. Agatha looked at the window, the nighthawk still sitting on it. She is going to miss that bird, room, her parents and this whole place. Her eyes started to fill, but she wiped it off. Sarah came and tapped her shoulder, Agatha smiled and got into the car. Sarah and Robert paused for a second and did the same.

"Do you know anything about my roommate ? I'm really excited" Agatha put her head between the two seats in the front.

"Yesterday I called the Manager. She told it is a girl named Leola Watson or something." Sarah turned and smiled at her, and she smiled back.

"Agatha do you want to hear a happy news?" Robert said cheerfully.

"Yes, daddy Robbie" Agatha giggled.

"They have your favorite Golden Dragon near your hostel"

Golden Dragon is Agatha's favorite Chinese restaurant. She started having food from there when she was seven and since then that was her favorite restaurant.

"Great!" Agatha paused for a second "But it won't be the same without you guys and I won't even have my friends there."

"It doesn't have to be the same Agatha, that's the point. You are so good at making new friends right? So what is the problem? And for us today we are going to eat dinner from there after you settle in" Sarah said encouragingly.

"Okay." Agatha said going back to cheerful mode.

It was a long 6-hour journey. Half of the time Agatha talked to them, the other half she sat silently listening to music or just observing the scenery. She didn't want to think or just fill her head with anything. She liked peace. Agatha accidentally got drowned in peace and fell asleep.