XVII

Sanem

My first flight was scary and exciting, I would have liked to have a hand to hold tightly during take-off, I would have liked to laugh with someone about the strange feeling I had about air pockets or blocked ears, but this is my life now, I have to get used to it. Seeing the world from above was exciting, we flew over the Strait of Messina and it was thrilling to recognise the outline of a nation as I have only ever seen it on maps.

Similarly it was amazing to land and see the majestic beauty of Vesuvius from the porthole in the distance, it's the first time I've seen a volcano, I'd love to get to the top and see the crater, I think it must be exciting.

For the moment I will be content to arrive safely at my destination as I still have a long journey ahead of me. I leave the airport and hire a taxi to take me to the embarkation point for the islands.
Since I got out of the hospital, fortunately, I thought of starting to study the English language methodically in anticipation of this trip and, thanks to my prodigious memory, I managed to acquire a grammatical base and a vocabulary that will allow me to get by in everyday life situations. So I easily bought a ticket for the ferry and enjoyed the crossing on a beautiful spring day. I watch the coast of Campania slowly recede into the distance, with the unmistakable profile of Vesuvius, and then move to the bow to watch the approach of what will be my refuge from the world for a while.

The island I had been dreaming of visiting since I was little more than a girl when I saw a travel report on television about the splendid Ischia, the largest island in the Gulf of Naples. I was bewitched by the deep blue sea, the pastel colours of the houses, the wide, sandy beaches and the lush pine forests scattered around the island.

After the hell I'd just been through, I liked the idea of starting my life again in a paradise and it was a strange coincidence that Osman was coming to the island soon to shoot a commercial for a well-known brand of men's clothing. I hadn't told him I was coming, I didn't want him to talk to Ayhan about it, I would have called him when he arrived to beg him to meet me and explain the situation in person.

The entrance of the ferry in the port enchants me, the town is exactly as I had seen it in the reportage, but much more beautiful than I imagined, the vivid colours which the brightness of this beautiful day at the end of March gave, made the beauty of these places even more incomparable.

I disembark and observe the people waiting on the pier, I have made arrangements with the owner of the house I rented who assured me that there would be someone to greet me when I disembarked. I look around until I see a young man in the distance, leaning indolently against a jeep, holding a sign with Sanem written on it.

I approach him, pulling my trolley with difficulty on the uneven pavement of the port - Hello - He quickly moves away from the jeep, stepping forward to take my suitcase, while extending a hand towards me to introduce himself - Hello, nice to meet you, I'm Andrea.

- Nice to meet you, my name is Sanem -

-Please come this way -

I get into the car with difficulty, while he puts my suitcase on the back seat, and then he gets behind the wheel and drives off, climbing the vehicle along the narrow streets of the village. I am enchanted by the colourful buildings and the beauty of the many bougainvilleas that intertwine with the fences and form large, fragrant pergolas in the courtyards of the houses.

It seems to me that, after a long time, I can finally breathe, that the weight weighing on my heart is less asphyxiating than usual, as if the beauty of this place could somehow ease my anguish.

We stop in front of a beautiful building, surrounded by thick vegetation and directly overlooking the beach below. I chose this one among the many proposals because of the fact that in the photos, published on the internet portal, it showed beautiful verandas opening directly onto the beach. I can not afford climbing at this time, I need calm and rest and this seemed to me the best accommodation.

Andrea comes down to open the door for me, he offers me his hand to help me get out of the jeep, very tall for my stature, I smile briefly to thank him and together we go towards the main entrance of the building We do not have time to get to the door when a girl with a jovial smile comes to meet us drying her hands on an apron.

- Welcome, I am Elisa, nice to meet you, come on I'll show you your flat. Andrea, take the young lady's suitcase inside please - She takes me by the elbow and leads me towards the side of the house facing the sea where, after going down three steps, we arrive at a small wrought iron gate which she opens with a key which she then hands over to me - May I call you Sanem? We are the same age, I think. - I nod, smiling, won over by the warmth of this little dark-haired, very tanned woman with typically Mediterranean features and a jovial face.

- Here is your entrance, it is independent from ours, we live in the house on the other side of the house from where you will be staying. The gate will give you access to the veranda overlooking the beach and to the front door of your flat - While she gives me all the practical information I need for my stay, I am won over by the beauty of this place surrounded by greenery. The large veranda overlooking the sea is furnished with a lovely table with four wrought-iron chairs and two inviting padded deckchairs.

Andrea arrives with my suitcase and gives me the necessary directions to the room where the meals will be served, I preferred this type of accommodation rather than a hotel room. I thought it was much better to have an intimate private flat with a catering service that would have avoided me having to move around to do the shopping, taking advantage instead to rest as the doctor strongly advised me when I left the hospital.

Andrea tells me that he is available for any kind of errand or to accompany me to the centre at any time, he gives me his mobile phone number so that I can contact him in case of need.

They leave greeting me cheerfully, they seem really nice people, I am happy with the choice made. I sit down on the deckchair in front of the sea and I sigh, I feel definitely exhausted, I have been on my feet since last night and the journey has been long and tiring, but I must say that I feel optimistic after days and days marked by gloomy thoughts and worries.

Just for a moment I move my gaze to the other armchair on the veranda and my traitorous mind imagines Can here with me.

Ah Sanem Ah, you're here to forget him, to start living without him, you really don't need to daydream about it, I get up in annoyance, close the second deckchair and lean it against the wall to one side. I nod in satisfaction and go inside to take a shower and treat myself to a few hours of well-deserved rest, I definitely need it, there will be time later to explore the surroundings