XXIV

Osman

I hold Sanem tightly in my arms, trying to give her the warmth and comfort she deserves as the wonderful creature she has always been. I understand that at the moment she can't think clearly, I hope that with time she will understand what the right thing to do is and that it cannot be to deny a child to a father.

I hold her close to my heart which has always loved her with an immense brotherly love, I would like to do something for her, I would like to ease her pain, I would like to have the solution at hand, I would like not to have to leave and to be able to stay by her side.

We remain embraced indefinitely until a notification on her mobile phone forces her to detach herself to read the message she has received.

- It's Andrea, the owner of the flat I'm staying in, telling me that he's waiting for me in front of the ticket office to take me back. Here, this is my new number with an Italian number, the other one I only use to send some messages to Layla every now and then. I don't feel like talking to anyone, I also found several notifications indicating that Can has been looking for me, I don't understand why he did that.
Anyway when do you finish work tomorrow? Will I see you again? -

I am puzzled hearing that Can has been looking for her, why would he do that if he is over her and with someone else?

I accompany her to the place where she has to meet the guy who has to take her back, we look at each other for a moment taking each other's measurements, then I see with what care he helps Sanem to get on the jeep and the friendly smile he directs at her and I relax. It seems to me that she is in good hands, I give her an appointment the next day again at the port for 19.00.
The following days we spend all the free time I have from work together, Sanem also comes to visit me on the set at a beach on the other side of the island and we manage to have lunch together, I see her more relaxed and happy to spend time with me.

I'm already worried at the thought that in two days my work on the island will end and I'll have to leave her, I'm not at all comfortable with the idea of leaving her alone there, even though I also got to know Elisa one evening when Sanem invited me to a dinner on her patio, and together with her brother they made a very good impression on me.

I think they are very fond of my Sanem and treat her with a lot of respect.
That's the way she is, she's always been able to make everyone love her instinctively.

Today is my last day of stay in Ischia, I leave the hotel early in the morning to reach the port where a boat is waiting to take us to a popular beach where the last set on the island will be set up.

As I reach the rendezvous point, I look around and admire the numerous sailing boats moored on the nearby pier, some of which are truly beautiful and majestic. All of a sudden I find myself staring into eyes that are all too familiar, we are both surprised to find the other one here, I see him hurriedly lowering the ladder and almost running along the quay, as if he was afraid I might disappear into thin air.

- Merhaba Can-

-Merhaba Osman-

We both watch each other warily, studying each other like two contenders in a ring.
He speaks first.

- You know where Sanem is, don't you? Please tell me where I can find her, I need to talk to her, I need to explain -

- You know how much I love Sanem, why should I tell the whereabouts of a man who has abused her physically and morally, who has told her she is nothing to him and then left her wandering alone at night on mountain roads? Tell me, why?

He lowers his gaze, rightly ashamed of the truth of the accusations I have thrown at him.

- Because I am a miserable man without her, because I need to talk to her, I need to tell her that I love her more than anything else -

I wince at the sincerity in the voice of the man in front of me, he seems sincerely sorry for what he has done.

They call me from the boat inviting me to come aboard, the crew has to move towards the set, I can't stay any longer. I cast a serious glance towards Can, I have to think fast and right now I feel I have to listen to what he has to say before deciding whether to allow him to join Sanem. If he has come all the way here, he is certainly motivated by a strong reason.

- Tamam, ok I'll meet you here at 4.30 pm when I get back from the photo shoot and we'll have a good talk, man, don't think you can get away with so little after everything that's happened, I have to figure things out -

He nods decisively, I give him one last dirty look and move to join the boat and the crew.

I need to understand what's going on, this man has come by boat from Turkey in search of Sanem, it doesn't seem like the behaviour of someone who thinks it's over between them.
His heartfelt words struck me, is it possible that Sanem is completely off the mark?