XXIX

Can

It's getting light and I'm ready to move.

I leave the boat to catch up with the scooter and climb up to its residence, go down to the beach and go to the same spot where I sat for a long time the night before. This time I come prepared, lay a mat on the sand and put my backpack with water and provisions for the day on one side. I don't intend to move from here for any reason.

I keep watch until, about an hour later, I see her come out onto her veranda and look towards the sea, look towards me, raise my hand in greeting. She stays still for a long time then goes back into the house without giving any sign of having seen me. I sigh resignedly, the siege will be long, I'd better get ready.

I see her leave again and head towards the side of the house, she's probably on her way out, at first I think about following her, but then I decide to wait, I'm sure she'll be back soon, I don't know why. Shortly after in fact there she is again, she stops again to look at me and then disappears.

I take off my jumper when in the middle of the morning the sun begins to heat up, I continue to look towards her house until at a certain point I see a girl come down to the beach and head decisively towards me, I watch her approach astonished.

- Good morning, I am Elisa, nice to meet you -

- Good morning, I am Can.

- My brother told me that you speak Italian, I am the owner of that residence and I can say that I have become friends with a certain girl -

I look at her again astonished, I didn't expect this.

- How is Sanem? Is she well? Has she fully recovered from the accident? -

She looks at me thoughtfully for a long time.

- She's fine - Silence

I understand that I have to be the one to speak and it's also good for me to be honest considering the inquiring look she's giving me.

-Are you wondering what I'm doing here? I have come to ask for forgiveness, I would just like to have a chance to do so. I have done so much wrong with Sanem, I just wish I could talk to her and tell her that I would like to devote the rest of my life to making amends for my mistakes, just that -

This time it's his gaze that is definitely astonished, she lets herself fall on the sand in front of me and gestures with herhand as if to continue.

-I clearly understood that I can't live without her only when I lost her, she is very disappointed in me, I can't blame her, I had really unacceptable attitudes with her, I am aware of it, because of me and my carelessness she even risked dying.
I realise that it is not easy for her to trust me again, I have hurt her so much, I would just like a chance to tell her that I have understood my mistakes and that they will never happen again, I would like a chance to show her that I love her very much and that I would do anything to make her happy-

- What about that woman?

-That woman is another one of my mistakes, I gave her the opportunity and space to carry out machinations to make Sanem believe that we were back together, if I had made it clear that it was over between us and excluded her permanently from my life, she would never have succeeded, I must be able to explain this to her - I briefly tell her about all the misunderstandings she managed to create between Sanem and me.

- Listen, it's not up to me to talk and meddle in your relationship, I just want to warn you that Sanem is very determined, she's really convinced that nothing can ever happen between you again. I warn you, if you intend to win her back, it will be very hard, it won't be easy at all.

I nod - I know, I'm aware of that, I destroyed everything we had with a single stroke, I managed to disappoint her enormously and also her family, it won't be easy to win back their trust -

She nods as she stands up and shakes off the sand - I must go now, my boy I leave you to your silent siege, I wish you luck, you definitely need it.
See you -

- Thank you, bye -

She's walking away when she seems to remember something suddenly.

- Ah, here I was thinking, since you're not local you might not know that our residence has a restaurant which is also open to guests from outside the building. Lunch is at 13.00 by the way, helloooo-

She smiles waving her hand and leaves me there, amused by that hurricane of a woman who, I'm happy to know, you can tell she loves  very much and cares about my Sanem, otherwise she wouldn't have come to talk to me.
Who knows if I has found an ally in enemy territor