LIV

Sanem

Our new house has won me over, it's wonderful, it's an oasis of peace and the perfect nest for our love and our family, I can already see our children playing freely and happily in the garden or among the trees in the surrounding woods.

Everything is moving fast, next week will be the launch of my book, I am so excited to see my childhood dream come true, I will be on a short promotional tour in some of the main cities in Turkey and especially here in Istanbul. I don't want to go abroad for the time being, I don't want to move away from Can and I want to avoid too much fatigue in the last months of my pregnancy.

Things are also changing fast for the others, it was amazing, within a few days we found ourselves attending the traditional bride's hand request for both Layla and Ayhan.

Can was the perfect escort for the groom-to-be, handsome and elegant he turned up on my parents' doorstep with Emre and his father for a full blown traditional ceremony complete with chocolates, flowers, salted coffee and then the cutting of the red ribbon joining the bride and groom's rings.

He was similarly at Cey Cey's side when he turned up at the door of Ayhan, who had returned to Istanbul for the occasion. Osman, returning from his trip to South Africa, joined us in the neighbourhood and joyfully welcomed us into his home. My parents, who consider Ayhan and him as their own children after losing both their parents in a short period of time, could not fail to be present as well.

Maybe it's the pregnancy, but I got very emotional when a serious, task-oriented and perfectly self-possessed Cey Cey, as I had never seen him before, came to the door with flowers and chocolates. It was Can who asked Osman for the hand of the girl for his friend with the traditional formula used in these cases, it was a wonderful moment for everyone, it was a joy to witness their happiness as it had been for my sister and Emre.

A few days later Can tells me that he has to attend the annual event to award the advertising agency of the year in Istanbul, Fikri Harika is one of the favourites and Deren is beside himself with excitement.

I have to say that I find myself getting quite anxious ahead of the evening, it will be our first official outing as husband and wife and I'm not exactly comfortable with a seven month old baby bump.
Can is wonderful as always, he takes me downtown to choose an outfit for the evening, I feel very discouraged, it won't be easy to find something that doesn't make me look like a hot air balloon, but I have to wear something, right?

He's rummaging through the hangers of a famous boutique and proposing me some dresses to try on, the first two might even work, the third is a short black dress, with a ruffle on the hips and voilàs on the shoulders, it seems unlikely to fit my condition, but I go into the fitting room and decide to start with that one and instead...  I feel it sliding down my body like a light caress and I can't believe my eyes when I see in the mirror that the bodice is perfect on my full breasts and falls softly on my belly, enhancing it instead of highlighting it. I can't believe what I see reflected in the mirror, I come out of the dressing room still incredulous and I catch the same expression in Can's eyes when he sees me, he gets up from the sofa where he sat waiting for me and comes to me, he looks at me from head to toe and whistles in admiration - Wow Mrs Divit you are amazing! - I throw my arms around his neck, happy to have found something that doesn't make me feel uncomfortable, I complete it all with a black lace-up sandal with a square heel and a matching clutch bag.

On the evening of the event, we arrive at the hotel that is hosting it and the reception hall is already packed, I feel intimidated by so much pomp and circumstance and so many unfamiliar faces, but soon we spot Emre, Layla, Aziz and Deren and I manage to relax a little thanks to their presence. Soon after the speaker takes the stage to start the award ceremony, we are all very tense waiting for the verdict, a moment of suspense in the room "The name of the winning agency is....FIKRI HARIKA" Can, Emre, Aziz and Deren take the stage to receive the award, Layla and I remain in the audience to applaud enthusiastically for their well-deserved success.

They have been awarded not only for the professionalism and originality of their work, but also for the many social campaigns in which they have taken part, giving their free contribution, I look at Can and his team proudly, the Divits have a big heart, there is no doubt about that.

I see them coming down from the stage and blending into the crowd, they have surely been stopped for congratulations by customers and competitors I say to Layla, at that moment I hear a voice that sends a shiver down my spine - Look, look, look what the Aydin sisters are doing here? - It's Huma's voice, I turn to her and I can clearly see that she's looking curiously at my abdomen - Ah Sanem, what a surprise, have you finally managed to frame a rich husband? - I don't have time to answer when I feel the reassuring presence of Can's arm on my shoulders - Yes, she has framed a rich husband who also happens to be your son, although he never realised he had a mother.

I see Huma's face turn pale, she opens and closes her mouth several times looking at me, at my belly and at Can, evidently not being able to believe what's in front of her eyes, then she regains her proverbial composure and comments acidly.

- How you got hooked up with someone like that I'll never be able to explain, son-

Can moves closer to her to avoid making a scene but I can clearly hear him replying to her in a low voice, trying to keep control of himself - Don't call me son, I don't consider you my mother like you didn't consider having a son for so many years when I was a child.
Sanem is my wife, she is the best thing that happened to me in life, we are going to have a child soon and you must show her respect, in fact I'll tell you what, please stay away from us.

I don't want to have anything more to do with you, hoşçakal, goodbye Mrs. Huma -

Saying this he wraps his arm around my waist and guides me away from her and her perfidy whispering to me heartily - I'm so sorry Sanem, something like this shouldn't have happened, I was waiting for the right moment to talk to her and instead it happened in the wrong way. Forgive me -

I stop him in the middle of the room and put my hand on his cheek - Can, don't worry about me, her words don't mean anything, don't worry.

- Seni çok seviyorum, I love you so much Sanem, let's get rid of even the thought of these people and enjoy our love and our family, I won't let her near you anymore, söz, I promise -