XLIX

Can

It wasn't easy, but in the end we were ready to celebrate our happy ending, as it should have been and would have been for months if I hadn't screwed it up because of my stupid stubbornness.

I was perfectly aware that it was time to come back to reality, the baby was due in three months, I had to settle the situation with Sanem's parents and ask her to marry me so we could finally start our life together.

I first called my father to inform him of my intentions and the fact that he would soon become a grandfather. I distinctly heard the emotion in his voice, he was happy for me, that I had managed to settle things with the woman I love. He told me that he had already decided to come back, since his course of treatment is now over and the disease has been completely eradicated, he was thrilled by the news and said he was ready to change the destination of his flight to land not in Istanbul but in Genoa to be here in Camogli with me on the big day.

The next call was to my closest friend, I explained to Metin what was happening and that I was going to become a father. His exclamation of jubilation and sincere congratulations did not surprise me, he is the person who knows me best in this life and knows very well how much it means to me to create a family, to finally have a family. There is no need for words with him, he already knows how I feel and I know that he is very happy for me. I ask him to prepare all the necessary acts to allow us to get married here in Italy and, if it was possible for him, to join me and be close to me in such an important moment of my life. I would love him to be my best man, he accepted enthusiastically and told me that nothing in the world would keep him away.

Then it was Emre's turn, he too was so moved by the news of my fatherhood and the thought of becoming an uncle, it was a very touching moment that we shared in a rather anomalous relationship between brothers, which only now that we are grown up does it begin to look normal.

I asked for his help with the most important communication of all, he went to Aydin's house for me and, through his laptop, allowed me to videoconference with them while I had left Sanem's house on purpose to go to my boat away from prying ears.

I owed an apology and an explanation to everyone, including Layla who I knew was very angry with me. It wasn't an easy conversation, I tried to open my heart to them, showing the deep regret I feel for what I said to her and for what happened to Sanem that damn night. I couldn't help but be more than honest with them, I confessed to them how much I love her and how I realised I couldn't live without her, I told them about my pursuit all the way to Ischia, to Naples, our parting and then joining her here in Camogli.

Right at the moment of truth, when I was about to tell them about Sanem's pregnancy, I looked up for a moment at her window and there she was, I thought the best thing to do at that moment was to show her to them. I raised my hand holding the phone with the camera on as if to greet her and framed her for them, even from that distance it was easy to see her dress pulled over her prominent abdomen, but you could also see her beautiful happy smile, I could clearly hear their exclamations of surprise.

- That's why Sanem suddenly left without a trace, she didn't want you to find out that she was pregnant, I just found out myself. She is a brave woman, she decided to face everything on her own and didn't want to bring shame on your family because of her condition, that's also why I have to ask your forgiveness, it was my responsibility to protect her and I didn't do it, but this is now the situation, she is expecting my child I love her more than ever and she has forgiven me, we are finally happy together, she is happy you have seen it too.

I want to marry her as soon as possible, but I would like her to have the opportunity to share this moment, unique in a girl's life, with her family, I will send you the plane tickets and if you will forgive me and forgive us we will wait for you here in Camogli in ten days for our wedding -

It was Nihat who spoke, his eyes shining with emotion - Can, you can well understand that we were not at all happy about what happened, we did not like your behaviour towards Sanem at all, but we all make mistakes and everyone must be given another chance in life, if our daughter has decided that you are worthy of her forgiveness, we have no choice but to accept her decision and welcome you with open arms into our family. We would be happy to be there for your wedding, thank you for being honest with us -

From there it was all downhill and now here we are, ready to celebrate our wedding with the people we love most, it seems impossible to think that only a few days before I thought it was impossible to win back her trust and now, not only had she given me another chance, but she was ready to marry me and love me forever as I would have done with her.

It's time, the state official sent by the Turkish embassy at Metin's request has arrived and we are ready to start, Elisa and Andrea have also arrived, he has come to say goodbye to his sister before leaving for his mission in Antarctica, his presence will be a nice surprise for my Sanem.

As if she had been summoned by my thought, here she is, appearing in the doorway of the French window leading to the terrace where the ceremony will be held, she looks simply stunning in the empire style dress that I asked Layla to buy for her.

She is holding the small bouquet of wild flowers I ordered because I think they are simple but stunningly beautiful flowers, just like her.

She points her gaze into mine smiling ecstatically, approaches her father's arm and extends a hand to take mine, I take it and bring it to my lips in a reverential kiss, then I put it under my arm and tell her:

-Come my love, I can't wait to be able to call you Mrs Divit-.