XXV

Can

In the end it was my friend Metin who unknowingly saved me from being left at anchor in a sort of purgatory in the Gulf of Naples without knowing where to go.

Sanem called him on his Turkish phone to warn him that she would not be available on the phone for the moment and that if he needed to communicate with her he could only do so by sending an email, she would then eventually call him back. Not all the paperwork for the sale of the perfume patent had been completed, so Sanem was obviously afraid of causing problems for Metin by not being available.

Mr Özkan called me as soon as the software intercepted the call, which was long enough to allow the geolocation of the signal.

                                                                                  ISCHIA

Why did she go to Ischia? I can't explain it, but it doesn't matter, I pull out the anchor and head with full sail towards an island that I have never visited but that I know is very beautiful. It's a little paradise on earth, and evidently not intending to fly to the other side of the world to the Galapagos, Sanem has decided to reach a paradise closer to Turkey.

I'm excited to see her again, now the problem will be getting there, even though it's a small island I don't think she'll be waiting for me in front of the harbour. I have no idea how to find out where she is, perhaps by going around the hotels, but I imagine that there are a lot of them on the island.

I dock in the harbour at dawn, there is almost nobody around, I decide to go down to sleep for a few hours since I have sailed most of the night. I wake up a few hours later and go on deck to look around and try to understand where to start.

I can't believe my eyes when a little later I meet Osman's who is looking at me at the same time, and I hurry down for fear of losing sight of him. The encounter is not easy and not pleasant. He is abrupt and decidedly angry for what happened to Sanem because of me, when he asks why he has to tell me where he is I can't do anything but be sincere. I've come this far, this is not the time to be proud, it's only fair that he knows how I feel and why I came looking for her. He has to leave me because he's called to go to the set, but luckily he allows me to meet him in the afternoon, once the working day is over.

I go ashore to do some shopping and decide on an impulse to rent a scooter for a couple of days, I feel like going for a ride while I'm waiting for the time to meet Osman and I think it's better to have a means of transport available when he gives me an address to reach her.

I spend several hours climbing up impervious roads from which I can admire breathtaking views, the weather is beautiful for the end of March and the island is enhanced by vivid colours and exceptional luminosity. I regret not having brought my camera with me, who knows, I dream of returning to do the same tour one day with Sanem and of being able to portray in the same shot the beauty of the island together with that of the woman I love.

I stop to eat in a tavern by the sea in a little village about 20 km from the port, from experience I have learnt that it is possible to taste the best food in the simplest and most spartan places.

I return to the boat in the early afternoon in time to take a shower and change in anticipation of the meeting with Osman. It won't be easy, it's the first of many obstacles I'll have to overcome to win back the trust of Sanem and those who love her, I'm aware of it, after all that has happened it's what I deserve.

I see the boat in which the crew left that morning coming back, I wait patiently at the end of the quay for Osman to disembark and join me, he is talking to a young man, probably a model like him.
I hear the guy say to him - I'm sorry to leave, I would have really liked to get to know your beautiful friend Sanem better - I see Osman give him a fiery look while I can't do anything but close my hands into fists and force myself to remain calm, this is not the time for jealousy.
Osman stops in front of me saying to his friend that they'll meet later at the hotel, I look at him sullenly as he walks away, when I turn back to Osman I can see that he's laughing beneath his moustache at my reaction to his friend's words.

- Let's go and sit down in a bar and have a drink, I definitely need one-

We choose a small kiosk with outdoor tables directly on the quay.

It's the moment of truth, I have to measure my words and make sure I'm not misunderstood, it's not easy, I explain to him how I felt when I learned of the truth that Sanem had hidden from me, how I had behaved unspeakably with her, I was aware of it, how Polen had manipulated the situation that evening and then the next morning in the company. I explain to him that we had only just met since the presentation and that I had made it very clear that I wanted nothing more to do with her. I pause to catch my breath and courage and then open my heart to him.

- I realised I had made a huge mistake in thinking I could live without her the next morning, when I saw her lying lifeless on the ground, breathing with difficulty. The idea of losing her terrified me, how could I have thought it was over between us? I don't know, don't ask, or maybe I'm slowly beginning to understand by digging deep inside myself. I only know that I can't live without her, I feel that she is my destiny, she is the right woman for me, she always has been and always will be. Please help me find her, I would like to ask her forgiveness, please -

- Listen Can, I don't like what happened at all. You destroyed that girl, you tore her apart from the inside out, I'm telling you, you don't treat the woman you love like that, you don't shake her hard and even leave marks of your grip on her skin, you don't yell at her that she's nothing to you and then prove it by leaving her alone without making sure she's safe.

Your behaviour was unspeakable, you're lucky Nihat was in that hospital emergency room because if I had been there you might not be sporting that perfect nose today. I didn't like your behaviour, I don't know what to think, how can a woman who has been through all this trust you again? -

I lower my head not to show how much his words hurt me, unfortunately I can't deny any of his statements, but I can say something about the future.

-Osman, I promise you as I will promise Sanem that something like this will never happen again, now that I have lost her I realise she is the most precious thing I have ever held in my hands in my life and I let her slip through my fingers. I will never risk it happening again, I will spend my whole life adoring her and making myself worthy of her love, I promise.

Please, let me have another chance with her -

He looks at me thoughtfully, undecided on the decision to take, looks away from me to stare at the sea for what seems like an interminable time. Finally he turns around and stares firmly into my eyes.

- Tonight I will leave Ischia to go on a two-month service in South Africa, which has been planned for a long time, otherwise I would not have left Sanem here alone, she is not well and would need someone close by to comfort her. I can only tell you this, tonight at 6.30 p.m. she will come to the port to say goodbye to me, it is up to you to talk to her and convince her to give you another chance. I won't tell her that we've met, you'll handle the situation as you see fit after I get on the ferry. Alright? -

- Yes, that's fine. I really thank you from the bottom of my heart Osman, you'll see that I'll deserve the trust you've placed in me.

-I'll tell you one thing, don't you dare disrespect or hurt her again, I swear that if that happens, as soon as I get back from this trip, I'll look for you at the ends of the earth to make you pay, tamam, okay? -

I nod again, I can't ask for more than that, I just want a chance to talk to her and ask for forgiveness.