Chapter 28: fickle pickle

[VERY UNEDITED]
6890+ words :)

~~~~

Nothing is more fickle than the human mind, so when those are born with the ability to control it, the balance of the world shifts ever so slightly.

These "mind controllers" have a cruel fate awaiting them, for they will never truly be accepted into society.  At an early age, these talented individuals learn that the minds of people are like water, you can dye it any color, any time. Their trust in the will of humanity declines till there is nowhere left to look but into the welcoming face of depravity.

Terribly sad, isn't it?

The world made no exception for Katherine. Rather, it laughed and spit in her face.

In an act of mercy, it seemed as though the world felt pity watching the adolescent lose the hopeful gleam in her eyes, and it blessed her with a family, an incomplete family, but a family nonetheless.

Of course, as fate would have it, she met another mind control "freak" and learned that the cycle of hatred for him was as horrible as hers. Although she knew full well she would break his heart, the little hero left him out of fear, fear of the hatred she faced would be redirected to him, just like her family.

Problem after problem, hardship after hardship, lie after lie, Katherine persevered for one reason and one reason only: to protect those weaker than her. Quite a heroic individual despite the voice in her nightmares.

Ah yes, those nasty, little nightmares. Horrid things really. No one wants to go to sleep only to hear the voice of one's mother whispering promises of insanity and memories of death.

"You're a villain," she sings,
"You were born with the devil's blood in your veins.
Someday, I will come find you.
And I will make you into a demon.
A villainess unlike those this world has ever seen.
So don't be afraid.
Embrace it.
Embrace the power you hold.
The power to make or break the will other others.
The world is your playground.
So run wild.
I will be here for you.
So go my lovely, vile child.
Go set the world aflame.
For the world is yours.
Everything is for you, my love.
You must win.
Strive to win.
Kill to win.
For I, your shadow, will be here.
Patiently awaiting your malicious, raging love."

With those creepy words sending her kind heart spiraling, Katherine awoke every morning without fail. With memories of her forgotten crimes, she awoke and worked toward her goal: be a hero.

The days after the confrontation with Nimbus were no different.

She felt alone in her bed, her mother's last words ringing in her chaotic mind as she tried to string her faith in humanity together using a mere blade of grass.

Despite her uneasiness and doubt, the world continued.

Katherine passed her exams with flying colors and took place at the top of her class. Lord Explosion Murder was upset but what could he do? He couldn't even beat her at the festival.

Everyone congratulated her and normally, she'd be ecstatic, but something was holding her back. Something was bothering her, scratching at the back of her mind, begging to be let out.

Even fighting powerful opponents didn't make her nervous anymore. The feelings of security, happiness were slipping from her grasp, just when she was about to claim them as her own. Just when she was finally about to find peace, something was bugging her. This something was making her indifferent. It was making her unsteady. Her broken walls began to rebuild and once again, she was cold, practically frozen.