Chapter 1: promises

Katherine's pov:

"God, I don't know what to do, Caramel. Dad says he needs me to go back home after over 10 years away and he expects me to NOT freak out? I mean, are you kidding me? I'm perfectly fine living in America plus Japanese people can be so judgmental sometimes. I can't stand it. I hated it there when I was three, so how can he expect sixteen year old me to calmly go back to Japan?"

It was the day before I was supposed to get on a flight to Japan and I found myself pacing around my dorm while talking to a stuffed bear. 

All of my stuff had already been packed, but I felt myself spiraling down into the endless pit of anxious thoughts as the time went by. When I was little, I had promised myself that I would never go back to Japan, but it seemed like I had no say in the matter.

I needed to take my mind off of the situation at hand, so I headed to the place where I felt the safest: the recording studio of the American hero school I was attending. 

I didn't bother changing out of my baggy clothing that I had been moping around in a couple minutes before and walked to the studio.

In order to perfectly master my quirk, I had taken learning how to sing extremely seriously and had grown fond of it after years of dedication. I did everything that had to do with singing while juggling classes, training, and maintaining a good relationship with my dad. I had only one person to thank for that and that is Mrs. Lyn, my teacher.

She had worked so hard with me in order to make me into a better person, hero, and singer. She had been the one to finally replace the empty space in my heart that was reserved for a mother and I truly thought of her as my mom.

I entered the recording studio and began to warm up while making sure no one could hear me. I was about to begin when I heard the familiar tapping of worn out flats. 

I looked to the door to find Mrs. Lyn with a frown on her face.

"Katherine, honey, sweet girl, what in All Might's name are you doing in the recording studio the day before your big move? Are you out of your mind?"

She nagged on and on, "You should be resting right now. What are you going to do if some creep approaches you on the plane and you can't fight back because you're tired and didn't get enough sleep from sitting in the recording studio all night? I can't protect you from the other side of the world. What are you going to do without me, you little hero? I said, what are you going to-" 

She was cut off from my arm's sudden presence around her, pulling her into a big hug. Mrs. Lyn simply sighed and squeezed me tight.

"I don't know how I'm going to make it back to you alive if I go to Japan. I want to help people, but I feel like I need to do it with your help. I can't do it without you please come with me and-" This time I was cut off by my teary eyed teacher.

"Katherine, slow down. I can't go to Japan with you because I don't even know the language there. Listen to my words one last time, you have been blessed with a powerful quirk to match your passions. I hope you can make me proud," Mrs. Lyn spoke, trying to hide her sniffles with coughs as she slowly pushed me in the direction of my dorm so I could get some rest.

I smiled gently, looked deep into her bright blue eyes, and said in a meaningful tone, "I promise to become a hero you can be proud of. Thank you." And I walked down the halls, biting my lip as sobs nearly escaping my mouth while a fire was lit deep inside of me.

I needed to keep my promise with her.

No matter what.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yay first chapter! I'm tired from writing, so I'm gonna keep this real short. Thank you for reading the first chapter of sinking and I hope you stick around for the rest of the story in the weeks or months to come. (I'm starting school in a day, but I will try to come up with a good update schedule that doesn't include too much sleep deprivation)

Love y'all,

yohocopo :)