Chapter 13: the aftermath

My quirk was supposed to scare me. 

The cries of a dying person were supposed to scare me. 

So why, why, did I like it? 

Why did I enjoy the feeling of my quirk wrapping its claws around the minds of people? 

That scared me, not my quirk.

I scared myself more than anyone, anything ever could.

Oh how much I want to be good. 

More than anything, I want to be good, to save those in need.

If only the world was kind.

~~~~

As soon as I regained consciousness, the first thing to come to mind was if uncle Aiza was okay. 

I opened my eyes and found myself in a hospital bed. That's when I remembered that villains had attacked the USJ and Uncle Aiza was hurt, but I blacked out after that.

I rubbed my eyes as they adjusted to the light coming from the window in the hospital room. I looked around and saw that I was in a VIP room. 

I sighed and figured that Dad had probably overreacted and got a VIP room although I would've been fine with staying at home.

The door opened to reveal a very worried and tired looking Present Mic wearing baggy clothing and had dark circles under his eyes. He shuffled into the room, completely unaware that I was awake.

"Good morning, Dad. You looked like Hell... is everything okay?" I asked before I was pulled into a suffocating hug.

Dad had tears in his eyes and sobbed, "Ponyo, thank the heavens you're okay. Do you know how worried I was? I heard what had happened and I rushed to the hospital as soon as I could."

I chuckled, "How long have I been out?"

He suddenly looked sad again and said, "Ponyo, you've been out for over twenty four hours..."

"I- WHAT?!" I screamed, "There's no reason I should've been out for so long after I barely did anything."

Dad sighed, "That's the thing, Ponyo. You didn't barely do anything."

I gave him a confused look and smiled, "Dad, pranking me after I woke up in a hospital isn't fair."

"I'm not joking, Ponyo."

My face fell. Then he told me what had happened.

<time skip brought to you by Iida's insane amount of glasses>

I sat in my room for days. Uncle Aiza who had been released from the hospital and Dad have both tried to talk to me, but I kept my door shut. I didn't eat, sleep, or do anything other than sit in my closet.

I did it again. I endangered people again. I lost control of myself again. I allowed people to get hurt yet again. I was cruel, just like a villain. I proved to the world yet again that I wasn't fit to be a hero or the daughter of a hero.

I wanted, no, I needed to go back to America where I would be able to escape. I couldn't do it anymore. Everyone here connected me to Dad and I can't keep doing this to him.

As I continued to fall deeper and deeper into despair, I got a phone call from my best friend from America, Lina. She was the first person I had met and we had gotten extremely close over the years. She was also the only other person, other than my old teacher, that knew everything.

"Hello?"

"OH MY GOSH KATHERINE ARE YOU OKAY?"

"Uh... yeah I'm fine."

"LIAR! Your dad called me and filled me in, so I know for sure that you are NOT fine. Now tell me what's going through that stubborn little head of yours."

We talked for hours until our throats were too tired.

"Babe, you have to stay there. Everyone you love is there. You have fans and you attend one of the best hero schools in the world."

"I know, but what if it happens again? What if my classmates see me as a villain? What if the-"

"I swear to God if you keep thinking like this, I will buy a plane ticket to Japan to whoop your stupid ass. Listen, go show them that you're not a villain instead of worrying so much. I know you're amazing, your dad does, too. Go out there and show them that you are meant to be there. Fight for your spot in hero society and-"

"Okay, okay, I get it. Don't get cheesy on me now," I giggled as she huffed about ditching me for some other girls in her classes.

"Katherine, I'm serious. You genuinely want to change. I believe in you."

I laughed, "Okay thank you... I love you, babe~"

I heard her laugh as well, "Love you more, babe~"

Then we both hung up and I left the darkness of my closet and opened the door to see a mummy and a tired dad waiting outside.

"I'm going to go train. See you guys later."

They looked surprised but delighted. I was determined to earn my place at U.A and the respect of my classmates once again.

~~~~

short chapter but yk double update woooohoooo~

Have a great week,

Cath