Chapter 29: orange blossoms are pretty

*insert evil author laughter*
enjoy :)

[unedited]

~~~~

Katherine killed her first person in an accident when she was little, when her quirk first developed.

She had unknowingly used her quirk on her dad, and she had realized what she could do. She realized that she was strong, so when that villain attacked her school, she sang a note and commanded it to die. The villain did as it was told, and Katherine felt that fuzzy presence for the first time.

She was too young to go to prison, and her father was protected by the government at the time due to his work as a hero.

Over and over, this memory of blood and the power she had re-played every single night during her time at the prison. From this, one could tell she wasn't doing swell.

Four years have passed, and Shinso is a pro hero now. Katherine heard from her guardians that he was doing an amazing job outside the four walls of her cell.

She's gotten used to them after so long. Those four, blank walls are her present and her reality. It was no use running from them, since she knew that the outside world is no better.

She was proud of Shinso. Ever since she first encountered him, she had known he could become a hero unlike any other. Though, hearing the news from other people made her heart ache.

Just imagining the soft, happy grin that would light up on his face when he talked about changing the world made her heart feel full and empty at the same time.

The government had decided to keep the two separate. Meaning, Katherine hadn't seen Shinso in four years. In those four years, Shinso had graduated and risen in the ranks. Meanwhile, Katherine could barely sleep at night, knowing people were watching her every move.

Unlike Shinso, Aizawa and Yamada had gotten permission to see her after a year and half, and they continued visiting her any time the government let them, usually only on her birthday.

Those two had gone on a long period where they didn't contact anyone other than those closest to them and stopped teaching at U.A until two years after Katherine's accident. Both of them had lost weight and they seemed to have aged twenty years in two.

The first time they saw her was quite the heart wrenching scene though...

<flashback>

The moment Katherine saw her dad and uncle through the clear, glass window, it was as if she was shot with a bullet. They looked haggard, handsome, but haggard. And tired.

Shame and guilt made her neck flush red. She had done that to them.

The madness in her mind worsened, but she smiled at her guardians, knowing they'd worry themselves if she didn't.

"PONYO, ARE YOU OK?"

A nod.

"Katherine, can you talk to us?"

A sad shake of the head.

"Ponyo, can you not tell us?"

Another nod.

Aizawa's face darkened as he looked into her eyes and asked, "Katherine, you are the closest thing to a daughter I will ever have, so I ask you this: was there a chance I could've saved you?"

She felt her eyes brim with tears. Lords, he was dramatic.

Katherine looked at him and softly shook her head causing her tears to fall onto the white floor or her white room.