Forty six

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Y/N

I walk outside of the school, wanting some fresh air after the night of prom. The clouds were a dark shade of grey, warning the outside world to prepare itself for bad weather. I wore clothes just thick enough to keep me warm.

''Tsukasa, you owe me money. I told you Marco was going to confess to Y/N at prom!''

I laugh while shaking my head, pinching the bridge of my nose as I flutter my eyes shut. The scene from this morning started to play out in front of my eyes. Eren and Tsukasa had apparently made a bet. Eren thought Marco was going to confess his feelings to me on the night of prom, and Tsukasa didn't want to believe it.

The winner won money.

So, Eren won himself some money with a simple, useless bet. How easy.

I sigh, wanting to go back inside of the building, considering the threatening clouds above me. The paths on campus started to get muddy as the rain started to soak the dirt. My mind was absent, my thoughts 'muddeled'.

''Y/N?'' I heard a familiar deep voice behind me. I turned around and met his stoic eyes. His expression didn't change when we locked eyes and he didn't look away this time. We looked at each other in astonishment.

It started to rain even more.

And it's a big downpour.

A squall.

A cloudburst.

''Levi?'' I call his name with confidence.

He nods in reply and doesn't say another word. Just as he wants to continue his walk to the school doors, I stop him with my voice. ''What are you doing here?'' I ask.

''I'm getting the rest of my stuff, brat.'' He answered my question without any hesitation. I nodded slowly, expecting him to walk away like he wanted to in the first place, but he didn't. He stood still and slowly turned around as if he gave in to himself. As if he lost the battle to avoid me for as long as he could.

''How was prom?'' he asked, his tone slightly giving away his irritation.

''It was fine... I had fun,'' I answered with a quick nod. He broke eye contact again as he nodded to himself. Both of us getting drenched in the water, but not caring as we wanted to be in each others presence for a little longer.

It felt as if one walked away, we would be separated forever. As if this was the last conversation. although, all the other conversations felt slightly the same as this one. Maybe it was the fact that Levi had forgotten some of his stuff at school and the only reason he is here, is because of that. The chance of meeting him anywhere outside of school was slim.

''Did you have a date?'' he suddenly asked, catching me off guard. I didn't expect him to even care about that, but maybe he's merely trying to keep up a small conversation before parting our ways again.

''I did. I went with Marco.''

''Okay,'' he avoided eye contact, ''I see you're moving on, brat. That is good.''

''No, it's not good,'' I retort. I knew better than anyone that the retort is nothing more than a mere reaction, that there isn't an ounce of strength in the words. I reflexively denied what he said, nothing more than a reaction, a reflex. Nothing close to a retort.

''Brat—''

''Stop calling me that.''

''L/N, you have to move on. We broke up.''

Even though my clothes were getting heavy from soaking up water, it didn't really matter to me now. And also— this rain that started to pour all of a sudden will probably hide my tears.

This wasn't new to me, it wasn't like realization just hit. No. I already forced myself to accept the fact that we had broken up, but his sharp tongue in situations like this is what surprised me.

''I know that, I just can't believe you're doing this. After everything— after what you promised me, Levi.''

He kept quiet along with escaping the eye contact I was trying to make. His lips were sealed shut, but he seemed to be thinking about what to say. It was like he wanted to say a million things, but felt like they wouldn't make a difference. And maybe that was true.

I tried to repeat my words, but they were empty. Empty and pointless. What was the point of running after someone who had no interest in you any longer? Someone who doesn't love you the way you love them?

He glared at me, firmly even. His eyes travelling all over my face as if he tried to find something. The wind blowing harshly, my mascara probably running down my face. He bit his bottom lip before taking a deep breath.

He parted his lips, finally ready to say some empty words. I shook my head with a troubled expression, sending him the message I didn't want to hear it. So, what he did was clear his throat and suck in both of his lips for a second, nodding and looking up into the sky. Letting the raindrops fall down his soft skin.

''It's fine, Levi. I get it. I just wish you would've talked to me about it,'' I admitted. I knew he wanted to say something to me, but the fact that it would've taken him weeks to talk to me about it didn't sit right with me. And besides that, he already made it pretty clear he wasn't interested in continuing the relationship. There was nothing left to talk about— no point in trying to fix something that didn't want to be fixed.

It was sad. It made my heart leap and tear. It made tears well up in my eyes and voided my mind with questions. But it was okay. I would learn to live with it for now, and I would grow over the feeling one day. It would just hurt for the time being, but in the meantime, I could focus on myself. It was a process. A journey of healing.

But it is just a simple break up, is what you would say. Just a simple breakup that shouldn't wound you.

''I wish you the best, Levi,'' I said sulkily before stepping away from him. my shoulders were slumped and I even seemed to be stooping a little. My clothes were drenched. They have been completely soaked up with water and felt heavy like the weight on my shoulders.

Levi watched me walk away before he stared at the ground, trying his best to keep his cool. Trying his best to keep up the tough persona he always tried to keep up. Trying his best to stay strong, something he always wanted to be. He wanted to be strong for himself— and for others.

''I love you,'' he whispered as he closed his eyes.