Chapter 26

A/N: Hey guys! So, I am VERY sorry for trying to make you guys die of sadness last chapter, but I will try not to fully depress you this time! Enjoy!

Caroline POV:
Mommy and Dad came back from the hospital yesterday, after I had gone to bed. My babysitter, aunt Catherine, had tucked me in right before the door opened and Mommy and Dad came inside. I got out of bed and peeked through my door, where I saw Mommy sitting in a chair, crying, and Dad standing up and holding Mommy's hand, looking as though he was going to throw up.

Maybe they just needed naps. Aunt Catherine hugged them, and whispered "it will be okay." Mommy nodded and said "is Cary still awake?" Aunt Catherine replied "I just tucked her into bed."

Mommy got up and wiped a tear from Dad's face. "How are we going to tell her that Phillip is gone?" My tummy turned over. Gone? Did Aunt Lizzy and Uncle Alex move? Was Phillip and my soon-to-be little cousin going away? "Peggles." Dad said. I have never heard him say that before. Whatever, it's cute. "She will know eventually. They are best friends. She has no right to be lied to. Phillip is d-dead now and we can't reverse it." Dead. I know what that is. It's when someone gets turned into an angel and goes to a magical place where they can always eat cake and not get sick. That's what aunt Angie told me when my fishy died, anyways.

But it also means that I will never see my best friend again, and he will never be able to share his magic cake with me. "Is Liza okay?" Catherine asked. "I don't know. She was... upset in a way you could never describe. Almost angry at the fact that he is gone." Dad explained. There was a knock at the door.

Aunt Catherine ran to answer it, and Mommy and Dad wiped away their tears quickly. It was aunt Angie. I made sure that I was well hidden, with this many people here who could see me and get mad for me eavesdropping. Eavesdropping is what Mommy calls it when you listen in on someone else's talking. I know that word, and it makes me sound smart. Aunt Angie ran in crying. "Catherine! I can't believe your here! Did you hear about Phillip? It's the most disgusting and horrible thing, Eliza is CRUSHED to pieces." She ranted.

"I know. We all lost something when we lost Phillip. I mean, I could hardly survive an hour if I lost Cary, but Eliza has to live without Phillip forever." Mommy said. Aunt Catherine looked down. "At least she is having another baby, but you can't replace your first. Phillip made her a mom. She worked nine months, plus 2 days of labor to get Phillip to this world, and now he will never be on earth again."

"I will kill Alexander if it is the last thing I do." Auntie Angie murmured under her breath. "Congratulations to him." Mommy put her working arm around aunt Angie's shoulders. "Are we going to the funeral?" She asked. "We have to." Dad said. "But first we have to tell Cary what happened. She will understand. She is mature."

Aunt Catherine looked across the hall at my bedroom door, and I ducked behind it, holding in my breath so she would not know I was listening. "Cary was there when he got shot, right?" Aunt Angie asked. "Yeah. We can thank the lord for his kindness, she ran when she saw the man." Dad put a hand over his heart, exhaling a little bit in relief. "But she has to know. Ang, I absolutely hate to do this, but can you be with us when we have to explain it to her? You were the one who told her about death in the first place, after her goldfish died."

Aunt Angie nodded. "Of course, Pegleg." She said. Again, with these nicknames for mommy that I have never heard about!!
"We can tell her tomorrow morning." Dad said. "For now, it's late, the funeral is tomorrow, and we should get some rest or we will all be sick. Again." Aunt Catherine hugged Mommy and Dad tightly before saying goodbye and walking out of the door. Aunt Angie said a few words that I could not hear to Mommy, squeezing her hands, before saying "Tell Cary I am coming over tomorrow. We best give her some happiness before submerging her in sadness." And waved goodbye and left.

Mommy started to cry again. "Phillip never deserved this. NEVER. And now we have to be HORRIBLE parents and tell her that he best friend and cousin is DEAD, and that could start a traumatized fear of death itself and she could end up depressed-" mommy went on, but Dad cut her off. "She's strong. She's brave, she's happy, and she will understand. At least we can be here for her. That's all we can do."

Mommy nodded, wiped her tears, and hugged Dad. "Thank you." She said. "I love you." He replied. They walked away, and I leaned against my door and sat down. Phillip was dead. Mommy and Dad were sad. Everyone was crushed. And my best friend has left me because I could not stop him from running out to find his dad. My heart beat against my chest as I crawled back into bed and laid down. It was late by the time I fell asleep, and I did not have a sweet dream.

A/N: So, this was kinda random. Sort of just talking, I wanted to do Cary's perspective, and it was sort of sad but really erased of the tragedy cause it was from a little kids perspective. Sorry if I did a bad job. Love you guys ✌️