Chapter 32 ~ Queen

My phone buzzes persistently in the pocket of my grease-stained apron

My phone buzzes persistently in the pocket of my grease-stained apron. Layla and I grab a milkshake shove two straws through the perfect swirl of cream on top and settle into one of the back booths for our first break of the day. Seeing as it's the first few days of Christmas break there's a vast range of hungover teenagers, big families and college students returning home meaning-the diner's packed... no room at the frigging inn. 

My phone buzzes again worrying me slightly, it's been going off for the past ten minutes. I slip it out and already I can see the group chat with the guys and girls blowing up- their notifications freezing my lock screen. I chuckle to myself making a mental note to check it later when I have more time to understand what on earth Bradys waffling on about. However my eyes land on the second row of notifications- all texts from Blaze.

Blaze: I'm bored

Blaze: Yo Blondie what r u doing today

Blaze: What the fuck is Brady going on about?

Blaze: Shit sorry, ur probs at work nvm

I smile at the messages and type out a reply quickly.

Me: Hey sorry I was working! What's up?

Blaze: when do your shift finish?

Me: 4:30 why?

Blaze:  r u busy after...

Me: Yeah, having tea w the queen soz ;)

Blaze: Well fuck have fun :/

Blaze: Can I pick you up after your tea?

I smile brightly, my heart fluttering.

Me: Yeah, I'd like that. I'll save you a scone :)

Me: Actually I do need to pick up some new pointe shoes downtown if that's okay?

Blaze: Ofc

"What are you smiling at?" Layla nudges my arm sucking on her striped straw, her eyebrows creased at me.

"Nothing." I slide my phone back into my front pocket. Layla's eyes narrow her red lipstick making her eyes seem darker than normal.

"I know that smile Atlas Grove... who is he?" She slurps on the milkshake and I do the same trying to hide my flaming cheeks, it's a bit hard to do though considering my ponytails up tight enabling its usual ability to fall across my face and create my own hiding place.

"He is a friend," I mutter into the glass. I can feel her smirking at me but the less I give her the less she has to go on, she'd never frigging drop it.