Chapter 82 ~ Stable

"It's up to her now, she's stable but there were complications

"It's up to her now, she's stable but there were complications. Her body needs time to rest. Often in cases like these, it's not just physical trauma it's metal too. We'll be conducting regular tests but the best thing you can do is be there for her now." The nurse nods at my mom solemnly and leaves the room. They only allowed two of us in here so everyone else is waiting in reception for the same speech. Tears slide down my mom's face, she clutches her mouth to her hand to stifle a sob.

"I feel like I've failed her Blaze, I've failed two of my children, Gemma's probably next."

"Mom, no." I pull her into my chest, her small body shaking in my arms. "You haven't failed anyone. You took her in when she had no home and gave her a real family, I know she loves you and thinks the world of you. And I don't know which other child you're referring to because you certainly haven't failed me." She sniffles, her shoulders shaking with her head.

"I could have told her to come back or been more vigilant."

"Stop Mom, nothing could have prevented what happened tonight. Something I've realised is every single person out there could blame themselves but none of us are at fault." Except for the knowledge I held. Something about that guy, her dad, looked so familiar. "She would hate anyone blaming themselves. She's in there fighting so we all need to as well." Her frail body connected to tubes and wires lays motionless on the pristine bed, her small chest moving up and down periodically.

"My wise boy." Her hand cups my cheek and she smiles weakly. I know she feels responsible, Atlas is like one of her own at the end of the day but when do people not feel guilty for other's trauma? Especially someone like Atlas, we always blame ourselves because we couldn't do enough.

Mom moves towards the head of the bed, Atlas' blonde hair spread across the pillow. She places a gentle kiss on her forehead and whispers something upon her skin. She watches for a few moments before turning to leave, she squeezes my arm and exits the doors with a sob.

I don't want to touch her, she looks like she might break. All the colour is leached from her cheeks, her once pink glow now hollow and cold. One of her arms is In a splint and stitches line the deeper cuts on her porcelain skin. A mash of blues, purples and greens dent the outline of her bones and her face is so swollen you can't even see the flutter of her eyelids.

My heart rips into a hundred pieces, each shard cuts more painfully than the first. How did this happen, my beautiful girl lying here hurt and alone within herself.

Wake up, baby.

Please, please wake up butterfly.

We need you. I need you.

Blaze sleeps awkwardly in the chair next to her bed

Blaze sleeps awkwardly in the chair next to her bed. She made it through the first night and then the second. Day three and the only time any of us have left the hospital is when the nurses have to ask us to go home and take showers. Blaze being Blaze obviously refused and has been glaring at the nurses whenever they suggest he go home for a while.

We only come into her room when Blaze is asleep, I love him but he won't speak to any of us. How did none of us realise she'd gone or hear her... screaming. Agony blares through my chest, daggers slicing into my flesh. She shouldn't be here.

I... I... so delicate and small but the toughest, all the same, she has to keep holding on. The cops haven't found her father yet, something no one is looking forward to telling her when she wakes up... which she will. She has too.

I walk over gingerly and reach for the hand that's not clasped in Blazes. Her smooth skin is warm, baby blue nails poke out from beneath my palm. Half of them cracked, blood lingering on the tips, a concoction of hers and the mud she tried to pull herself through. A sound leaks past my lips before I can stop it. My shoulders shake, elbows collapsing onto the stark white blanket covering her frail body.

"I'm so sorry kiddo. I am so so sorry." Hands land on my trembling shoulders. Vixxie smiles tenderly, tears balance on her lashes. Rutherford and Emily settle on the floor in front of Blazes' chair, pillows and blankets in their hands. Carrie and Ethan do the same in front of me, Vixxie lacing her arm around my hip to pull me onto the blankets she'd bought in before helping Gemma onto the bed next to Atlas. She buries her head against her neck, careful not to accidentally hurt her. Nobody says anything, I look around the room full of our family, hand in hand. Across the bed Blaze's eyes flicker open, taking in the sight. Lingering on his sister his throat bobs, he looks back at me and nods slightly.

We're all here Atty. Waiting for you now. You can do it. Come back to us.

Hey my lovessss!! Again I'm sorry for the slow uploads, it's crazy how hectic life is at the moment

Hey my lovessss!! Again I'm sorry for the slow uploads, it's crazy how hectic life is at the moment. I need to get through my exams and assignments then I've got summer to write till my hearts content!! Also is anyone else in the UK finding this weather so drabbbb?!