Chapter 43 ~ Scouts

State Championships

State Championships.

The sports field is buzzing. Every seat is filled with screaming supporters for both teams. I heard they're even turning people away at the doors now. The atmosphere is intense, full of excitement and anticipation. Each particle in the air electrified around us.

This is the final step before nationals. The final win for the boys before their last competition as high school seniors- their last game together before we all go separate ways.

Even the ground feels electric, my body hums with energy every time I place my foot down. I'm excited but also so nervous, I know they have it in them to win but you never know what could happen.

Red and white obscure most of my vision as I stretch out by the side of the bleachers, everyone's got that go big or go home attitude, all in the school colours tonight and sat in my cheer uniform my heart leaps a little finally feeling a part of something important and normal.

Vixxie and Carrie are stretching out beside me, both wearing nervous grins. I don't think they've ever performed in front of a crowd so big and it doesn't help the rival team have been throwing us dirty looks all night, trying to secretly get closer to our boys.

Speak of the devils, they make their way along the edge of the field ignoring the rise in volume from the crowd. I'm still in awe at the mass of numbers, the game doesn't even start for another forty-five minutes and it's packed.

They plonk down on the bench in front of us in their gear, sipping from their water bottles as they eye the crowd. Small grins creeping onto every one of their faces. Emily happens to catch the moment with a click of her camera, barely audible over the cheering.

"How are you guys feeling?" She asks crouching beside us. Blaze stays quiet, his knee bouncing up and down, staring at the tiny blades of grass...

"Pumped." Ethan fits bumps rutherford who nods at his enthusiasm.

"Ready to KICK SOME RACOON ASS!" Brady stands up shouting drawing even more enthusiasm from the crowd as they cheer back. The opposing team, The Racoons from Layton High boo but it's drowned out by the school chant coming from our allocated side of the field. Brady nods his head dramatically bitting on his bottom lip in the most un-sportsmanlike behaviour which earns him a harsh glare from Coach. If it was anyone other than B who said it, it would seem arrogant but he manages to makes it humorous... well actually and arrogant.

I turn my attention back to Blaze who still hasn't said anything. His thumb now running across his lower lip- his little nervous tick. This is unlike him before a game, his lack of ego is worrying, to say the least.

"What's up?" I scoot closer to him, sitting nearly in between his legs so he can see me whilst I continue to stretch. His darkened eyes stay fixed on the blades of grass, his jaw looks sharp but too tensed and his scar seems even whiter in contrast to the two black stripes on his cheek. A small line of perspiration already sits on his forehead which makes a few of his shorter hairs cling to his head.