64. Twoset Boyband II

"Guys...? Is everything okay..?"

Jordan replied.

"Look, Zac. Brett just told Eddy and I that he wants to quit Fiveset."

"WHAT !?!?"

------------------------------------

Brett started to speak in a very calm tone.

"Zac, I'm sorry I started fighting with Brad in front of you again today, I know how much you hate it. But look, I'm actually turning 30 next year and I feel like I can't do boyband idol stuff anymore."

Zac's voice trembled.

"But Brett... we.. we could always keep evolving into a different style or genre of music...!! There are boybands in their 30s.. heck, even some in their 40s now. Brett, you know I'm a voice coach, I've told you so many times that you don't have to strain yourself as a high tenor idol when you are actually a beautiful baritone, you could revolutionise your singing if you let me work with you...!"

Brett smiled.

"Thanks Zac, I might take up on your offer while I'm in Singapore if time permits, but I don't want to do Fiveset anymore. I know we can all evolve but it's the whole idea of me being a boy-band idol, it doesn't sit with me well anymore and I want out."

"...What did the company say?"

Fiveset had a recording contract. Brett being the lead singer and the most popular member of them all, it must have not been easy to convince their record company. In fact, perhaps he hasn't even managed to do so yet?

"We're on contract till Brad and I turn 30, as there's meant to be a fan club event for our 30th. Our manager said the rest of you guys have till then to decide if you want to disband or hold another audition like the time we added you to the group, Zac."

"Um... what's Brad going to do? Is he staying ?"

"I'm going with Brett. It's actually me who wanted to quit."

Brett grimaced, then spat out.

"Oh f*ck Brad, keep your trap shut!!!"

Eddy, who was sitting right next to Brett, slowly turned to him.

"What..? So it wasn't your idea to quit Fiveset?"

Brad wailed into the screen.

"Bro, I'm so sorry..."

"Brad..."

Brett disappeared from Eddy's screen and within 30 seconds there was banging to be heard, it must've been Brett banging on their hotel room where Brad was alone. Brad disappeared from his screen too, he must have tossed his phone to get the door.

A few moments later, Brett reappeared on Brad's phone.

"Zac, I just wanted to tell you tonight so that you won't be the only one who didn't know when we saw you tomorrow. I'm really sorry to put you out like this, especially since you are a newer member of the group. But your voice should be heard equally to Eddy's and Jordan's and I hope you guys come to a mutual agreement on whether to disband or add more members to the group."

Brett managed a smile, then left the meeting by hanging up Brad's phone.

"Brad, I hung up."

"Okay.. thanks. I'm sorry I didn't get to speak to Zac properly..."

"F*ck Brad, I told you to keep your trap shut and leave it with me."

"Brett, you're only quitting so that I can quit."

"No bro, I'm quitting because I'm sick of the way our contract locked us in like this. And not respecting your wishes and choices. If it takes the strongest squad leader to help you quit, so be it."

"But Brett, you love performing...!"

"Sure I do. And I'll keep performing in one form or another. But this idol stuff? I think I would've done enough of it by the time we turn 30, don't you recogn'?"

"They said we could still pass as early 20s."

"Yeah with a tonne of makeup and a whole lot of photoshopping perhaps. It's all fake. I'm not gonna miss any of that at all."

"...Thanks Brett, bro...."

Brad hugged his brother. It was quite rare for him to initiate a hug.

Brad's phone gave off a ping. Brad checked his phone.

"Brett, I just got a text from Eddy. You left your phone in his room."

"Oh.. I better go get it.. um, Brad.. will you be okay for a bit while I go and talk to him? I think I owe him an explanation..."

"Yeah, of course, bro. Of all people, you really should talk to Eddy...."

To be continued...