138. Twoset Kidneys

Brett is a kidney.

A/N: Guys. Please. Don't run. Stay With Me.

Brett operated a filtration plant inside a human body; his Great Leader. In fact he was the filtration organ within the human body of his Great Leader. He'd been busy working day and night. He'd been so busy he had never noticed there existed another filtration plant adjacent to him.

"Oh no, is that a rival operation!?"

Brett decided to check 'em out. He called out to the other kidney.

"Hey! What are you doing over there?"

An exasperated female voice replied.

"Whatddyathink!?"

Brett furrowed his brows. (A/N: You ask whether kidneys have eyebrows...? Please, just work with me.)

"Well, judging from what you look like it seems you also make pee like I do!!"

"Yeah, so!? You gotta problem with that ?!"

Brett yelled back.

"OMG what an annoying little kidney you are!"

"Hey don't you go calling me a little kidney mate! I'm just as big as you, in fact, more precisely, you're just as little as I am!!"

Brett was terribly annoyed by this kidney.

"That's it!! I don't need rude neighbours like you!!"

The female kidney didn't hold back either.

"Oh you can shove it, too!!"

The two kidneys didn't talk for 3 days. Brett was starting to feel a bit bad. After all, there aren't that many organs that come in pairs. He knew the lungs got along well and he was always envious of them. Brett had always thought he would enjoy some company from someone who appreciated his line of work. He therefore thought he shouldn't jeopardise an opportunity to make a friend especially someone in the same profession. He mustered up the courage to try again.

"...Look, I think we started off on the wrong foot. I'm sorry. I'm Brett. What's your name?"

The other kidney shyly replied.

"... Okay, I'm sorry, too. I'm Belle."

Brett was stunned.

"...Your name is Belle? You were named after... our Great Leader ??"

Belle raised an eyebrow. (A/N: Again, you ask whether kidneys have eyebrows...? Again, please just work with me.)

"...You've got a problem with that Brett??"

Brett stammered.

"N, no... not at all. It's a beautiful name. I admire it. Of course, I would. After all it's our Great Leader's name."

"..Brett I hope you will see me as who I am. An individual and not just someone named after someone great."

Brett smiled (A/N: Can kidneys smile? I repeat; JWWM.)

"Yes, absolutely. I promise."

From that day onward, Brett and Belle got along like a house on fire. They were both very professional and took pride in their work.

"Belle I'm so pleased I got to know you better. Hey.. are you alright?"

"Brett I haven't been feeling very well in the last few weeks.. My productivity has been declining. I'm sorry I bet I've been putting a strain on you because you've been working in overdrive."

"Oh no.. I was wondering if something's been a bit off."

Unfortunately, something wasn't a bit off, it's been very off.

"Belle.. no... please.."

"Sorry Brett, I don't think I'm gonna be allowed to stay. I heard word that they are going to remove me."

"Remove you?!"

Brett burst into tears. Belle gave Brett a hug.

"Hey.. you're a great kidney.. you can still keep going serving our Great Leader on your own."

"But I was so happy working with you. I wasn't lonely when you were with me."

"I know. I'm glad I got to know you, too. You're a great guy. I'm so glad you reapproached me and we got talking again. I never forgot how you complimented my name. Thank you Brett."

"And I've always seen you as an individual Belle. That you definitely are."

"Thanks. Hey you weren't all that bad after all either. In fact, you've been awesome."

Brett let out a hiccup as he chuckled while he was crying.

"Belle, I first thought you were such an annoying pain in the ass but you're so sassy and smart and... I'm really gonna miss you..."

Brett's factory was shut down by the influence of an anaesthetic while Belle departed.

When Brett came about he noticed he wasn't as strained as he used to be during Belle's last days. His system no longer had to work in overdrive. Someone was alleviating the workload by working alongside him. Brett glanced towards where Belle used to be and noticed.. there was a new kidney.

The new kidney turned around and flashed a warm gorgeous smile. (A/N: Can kidneys....?   Just one last time...!! JWWM.)

"Hi! My name is Eddy, I was named after my Great Leader but I've been transplanted over. Hope we can get along."