176. Twoset Veterinarian XIV (Liszt's curse 4)

A/N: This is the fourth episode of a short story within the Twoset Veterinarian series.  Its previous chapters are:

173. Twoset Veterinarian XI

174. Twoset Veterinarian XII

175. Twoset Veterinarian XIII

---------------------------------------------

He's not in the photo...?

"Hey Eddy, are you alright?"

Eddy looked up from his phone.

"Darren."

"Geez Eddy you look a bit pale there, mate."

Eddy called out to his fellow vet science student.

"Darren, can you have a look at this pic for me please? Ya see anything in here?"

"Lemme have a look. Um.. what am I supposed to be lookin' for?"

"Um.. a cat..?"

"What? Where? Is this some kind of meme pic?"

"Um.. yeah sort of. ...It came with the caption Can you see the cat? and I can't see it. It's meant to be towards the bottom of the pic."

"Hmm.. well I suppose the little bits of flowers towards the bottom of the pic.. here? Sorta kinda looks like a cat... OH F*CK."

'W, what?? What is it, Darren."

"OMG now that was f*cking creepy, what is that? It's not a jpeg!?"

"What? It is. It's a photo..."

"IT MOVED"

"Huh!?"

"IT F*CKING MOVED."

Eddy looked at his screen. He focused on the little bits of flowers growing on the bush that Darren said looked a bit like a cat, it was approximately where Eddy thought he saw Liszt.

The next moment, the photo image warped like a mirage.

Then Eddy saw it.

The majority of his photo was green from the leaves of the shrub. The leaves made up a large face of a cat, Liszt, appearing amongst the green, almost taking up the entire screen of his phone. Its pupils in thin slits, opening its mouth as if it was hissing.

Eddy almost dropped his phone.

"Eddy??"

"W..what?"

"Are you okay? You look like you've seen a ghost. It's just a stupid meme pic, right?"

"Y.. yeah.. just a stupid meme pic..."

Eddy could not bring himself to send the photo to Brett and deleted his text draft.

"Eddy? Are you alright?"

Eddy was in the coffee shop behind the counter.  He was still a bit edgy from the weird photo he'd taken.  Brett sat on a stool near the counter, his coffee cup on one of the taller tables.

"..Yeah Brett, I'm fine. How are you feeling?"

Brett let out a grin.

"Better. I caught up on my sleep in the library this morning."