79. Twoset Manga-ka II

A/N: This is a sequel to Chapter 7 Twoset Manga-ka

-------------------------------------------

Cartoonist and illustrator Brett and his assistant Eddy have been in Brett's studio working through the night to meet a deadline with Brett's editor. They managed to submit the work on time and were having a well-earned break. Eddy was already lying on the couch in the corner of Brett's studio with his eyes closed, ready to dose off for a nap.

"...Hey Eddy."

"...Yes Brett?"

"Do you ever see things on people that aren't really there?"

Eddy opened his heavy eyes to look at Brett who was still sitting at his desk.

"What do you mean Brett?"

"Y'know... things like auras or horns or flowers or ...whatever."

"Hmm.. what an interesting thought."

"So.. do you ?"

"I must say I never viewed people that way... do you, Brett? Maybe that's what makes you such an interesting artist ..."

Brett smiled.

"Well, I'm not sure about that.. I suppose I do have a vivid imagination..."

"So Brett, please tell me, what do you see?"

Brett bit his lip in hesitation before he spoke softly.

"Well, for example, I sometimes see wings on people."

Eddy smiled.

"What kind?"

"Um... most have feathers, in different shapes, sizes and colours depending on the person."

"Wow, that's fascinating... so.. what do I have ?"

Brett gazed at Eddy with tired eyes, then chuckled.

"You, Eddy would have..... bat wings!! Little black wings that flap about when you're moving around and once you stop, they flutter a bit and would then fold themselves behind your shoulder blades."

Eddy scoffed.

"Oh my god that's so mean!!!"

Brett kept giggling.

"I'll draw what I see on you, Eddy."

It must have been the sleep deprivation and exhaustion that caused Brett to be in a weird giddy mood. He would often get into these playful drawing moods after a deadline.  Eddy liked these moments though as  Brett would often produce something stunning.

Brett reached over to grab the sketchbook he reserved for pieces not related to work, his "free creations" sketchbook. He then grabbed a pencil.

Very swiftly with a well-practised hand, Brett roughly outlined a figure of a body in the centre of the paper, then started from the head to draw in a neater outline of a male face with a strong jawline. He very quickly glanced at Eddy's face then proceeded to draw the outline of the tuff of hair, followed by slender yet strong shoulders and arms. He paused, then quickly drew a collar of an opened neck shirt.

"Better keep it PG, I'll give you a shirt."

Eddy laughed. He slowly got up and was now sitting upright on the sofa, resting his head on the backrest so that he could see what Brett was doing.

"I appreciate your thoughtfulness. So long as it's not complete frontal nudity I don't mind."

"Oops."