133. Twoset Doctor and IT security engineer II

"Mr Brett Yang.  So.. this is a follow-up appointment?"

"Yes. Yes. Hi Dr Chen."

"Hello, Brett. Eddy, please."

"Okay, how are you, Eddy?"

"I'm okay. More importantly, how are you, Brett?"

Brett looked down at his lap to take a breath in before he looked back up towards Eddy.

"Eddy, I think you saved my life."

Eddy widened his eyes.

"Wow. Now that would be quite an achievement. I'm proud of myself."

"I'm serious. A couple of months ago a colleague of mine was in a car accident caused by sleep deprivation. He fell asleep on the wheel"

Eddy furrowed his brows.

"Oh no, how is he?"

"All things considered he was very lucky. It could've been much worse."

"Hmm"

"It scared me to think that it could've been me."

"Really?"

"Yeah.. if it wasn't for you, who convinced me to start sleeping 7 hours a day."

"Were you sleeping 7 hours a day?"

"Well, at least I was working towards it.. I think I was on 5 hours continuous sleep around that time."

"That does sound much better than the sporadic bits and pieces of sleep you were getting as naps before."

"It made a huge difference. I've rediscovered the joy of continuous sleep. I dare say it's the best thing in the world. I'm addicted to it."

Eddy chuckled.

"That oughta keep you out of trouble.  So how many hours are you sleeping nowadays?"

"I'd say around 6 hours continuously."

Eddy raised both his eyebrows.

"Wow, I'm really impressed."

"I'm feeling so much better these days..."

"What about your abdominal pains?"

"Oh, I was meant to mention that first but forgot!  They're all gone."

"What, completely?"

"Yes!"

Eddy smiled.

"I'm so happy to hear that Brett."

Brett smiled back.

"Well, I'm really happy to tell you this, too."

"And you're eating well? Have you eased off on the coffee and caffeine drinks?"

Brett chuckled.

"Yes. I think I put on a bit of weight actually. And I'm not as jittery as I used to be."

"You look great Brett. You don't look as pale either."

"Oh yeah, that too. I've been told by my colleague that I now have a hue."

Eddy let out a giggle.

"A hue."

Brett shrugged.

"He's a graphic designer. It's his way of talking."

"Fair enough. So.. how have you been feeling? Is work still stressful?"

"I'm feeling much better. Work is still busy when I'm there, but I'm not on call anymore and I don't work late as before."

"So you get to un-plug from work properly?"

"Yes."

"Well, you certainly look and sound better."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah, most definitely.  You look so much more relaxed, not all edgy like when you were in here last time.. when was that? 3 months ago?"

"Yes. And.. did you just say I sound better?"

Eddy gave a wry smile.

"Yeah, you haven't sworn in front of me once since you got here."

Brett recoiled in horror.

"Oh no..!!"

Brett blushed.

"Eddy... I'm so sorry... last time I was here I must have been swearing like crazy!?"

Eddy grinned.

"Like a sailor, mate."

Brett repeatedly rubbed his cheeks with the palm of his hands up and down like a racoon.

"Eddy, I'm really sorry... oh no, this is so embarrassing... I can imagine it must've been so bad... Here you were trying to help me and I was so rude to you, you must have wanted to beat me with a stick and wash my mouth out with soap so many times... I'm so sorry..."

Eddy chuckled and returned a warm smile.

"Brett, you've been my patient for 6 months and I feel like I've seen you in your true self for the first time. You used to be so snappy and agitated. Either that or really glum. Now you look like a completely different person. I mean I think this is the first time I ever saw you smile. And you've got a great sense of humour. It's really nice to see you like this."

Brett blushed.

"Thank you, Eddy.  Not just for saying all this stuff, but for helping me."

"You're welcome, Brett."

As soon as Brett left the medical clinic, he face palmed himself and quietly swore for the first time in weeks.

"Ooooooh, f*ck. F*ckity, f*ck, f*ck, f*ck..."

Brett was certain he was crushing on his doctor.