172. La Mort meets Guardian VI

A/N: This is the 8th chapter of this series. The previous chapters are;

158. Twoset La Mort

159. Twoset Guardian

160. La Mort meets Guardian

161. La Mort meets Guardian II

162. La Mort meets Guardian III

163. La Mort meets Guardian IV

164. La Mort meets Guardian V

-------------------------------------------

"Eddy, I'm cold."

"Eddy, I'm tired."

"Eddy, I'm hungry."

"Brett.. anything else?"

"Sorry Eddy..."

Eddy chuckled. He wasn't annoyed with Brett. He found La Mort Brett's vulnerability quite endearing. His smaller framed body, delicate features, the way he speaks so softly and his gentle mannerisms were such a contrast to the conventional image that was expected of him, for being La Mort, Death, or the Grim Reaper. You would think nothing would phase the La Mort and yet Brett had the narrowest comfort zones. He didn't like it when things were too hot, too cold, he didn't like being thirsty or hungry for prolonged periods of time and he said that he needed plenty of what he called his "beauty sleep".

Eddy was much more resilient to fluctuating temperatures, he was physically stronger and generally didn't whinge and whine about things as much as Brett did.

"It's okay. You should be glad I actually find you quite adorable like this."

"Oh dammit, Eddy."

It was still the early days of their courtship and today they have been spending a sunny Saturday together, going to the markets in the morning and checking out the stalls, purchasing some favourites like croissants, fruit and strong coffee and had a picnic brunch at the park. They did a bushwalk along a scenic walk path overlooking a valley with lush trees and a waterfall.

"Hey that waterfall down there looks so nice.."

"Y'know what Brett, we could possibly fly down there and check out the waterfall up close."

"Fly? Eddy I haven't done that in ages."

"Hmm, come to think about it I think I'm kinda rusty myself."

"Well if that's the case Eddy, I don't think we should be in a hurry to jump off the cliff.. maybe try our wings somewhere safe first."

"Sounds like a good idea."

"I need an open area.. my wings spread up and out a fair bit and I don't want them getting caught in the trees."

"Sure Brett. Mine go out sideways so we'll need width as well."

They kept walking till they came to an open area covered with grass.

"Here Brett?"

"Yeah, okay Eddy, let's try to dust off our wings and see if we can remember how this flying thing is done."

"OMG.."

"Eddy, it's alright."

"OMFG.."

"Eddy, really, you're gonna be okay, calm down."

"I..I'm an angel with broken wings."

Brett raised an eyebrow and smirked.

"That's poetic and beautiful Eddy."

Eddy groaned as he held his head with his hands as he sat on the grass, deflated by the loss of his ability to fly.

"I.. I don't understand what's happened... I eat a healthy diet, I exercise regularly... why!?!"

"It must just be a lack of practice Eddy.. when was the last time you actually flew?"

"I... I can't remember... it could be more than 10 years ago.."

"..That is a while back.  But you're so physically strong Eddy.. with all your running and weights and martial arts training that you do. I guess you've been too busy working out and relying on your physical strength, you forgot to sustain your fundamental ability to fly.  Like they say you gotta use it or lose it. But look, I'm certain you'll be flying again in no time once you start practising again."

"I.. hope so..."

"So.. did you want to go down the valley and see the waterfall? We could just walk down there.. or.. I.. I could carry you and fly..."

Eddy widened his eyes.

"Isn't that what you do when people pass and they.. cross over..??"

Brett shrugged.

"Nah, I just club them with my scythe and drag them along by their hair Eddy, I wouldn't bother carrying them like precious cargo as I'll do for you."

Eddy, sulking till this point couldn't help but let out a chuckle.

"Oh you would not club them with your scythe..!!"

Brett wriggled his eyebrows.

"How would you know? You've never done a workplace observation of me?"

"Well of course not but it sounds so out of character of you..!"

"Well right back at you Eddy, I would love to see you at work.. it's difficult to imagine you Eddy, my tough guardian, hard at work."

Eddy got up to his feet and playfully struck his chest with his fist as he smirked.

"Tough?"

Brett chuckled.

"Yeah Eddy, tough, strong and buff"

Eddy grinned and struck a pose like a bodybuilder.

"Strong and buff?"

Brett let out a giggle.

"Yeah, I mean, I got a glimpse of it when my car was about to get stolen...those combat moves were pretty amazing"

Eddy bit his lower lip. He was embarrassed about thinking of that day.

Brett stepped closer to Eddy.

"I like seeing your softer side Eddy. It must be a side you don't show often to others. I find it very intimate. I know you didn't want to cry in front of me that day but it's okay. And it's okay to get upset about your wings.. which I'm sure you'll rectify with practice real soon anyway."

Eddy wrapped his arms around Brett's neck as he whispered.

"Okay.."

He then hid his face into the crook of Brett's neck. Brett smiled and whispered.

"So you ready to go see the waterfall?"

Eddy nodded.

Eddy sensed his surroundings go dark as he felt his body elevate. He felt Brett's arms scoop up his legs under his knees. He opened his eyes and noticed he was surrounded by Brett's outstretched wings, dark, shimmering silver, layers upon layers of them, blocking out the sunlight.

"They're beautiful Brett."

"Really? Thanks. I've got a bit of a complex about them, they're a bit.. bat-like."

"I don't think so, they're f*cking majestic."

Brett chuckled.

"You and your angelic potty mouth Eddy."