NN 18

Taehyung.

“You sure about this, Tae?” Jimin, for the umpteenth time, asked.

“Yes, Jiminie. I'm putting an end to this once and for all,” I affirmed with determination, staring at my reflection in the mirror and letting out a heavy sigh.

I had confided in Jimin about my intention to talk to Bogum, seeking closure and even contemplating hanging out with him. Despite Bogum's invitation and my agreement, I only informed Jimin afterward, leaving him upset and concerned. I justified my actions, emphasizing that it was the better path.

“Tae, you're aware that you're using Bogum as a means to rid yourself of Jungkook, aren't you?” Jimin questioned with genuine concern.

Another sigh escaped me as I turned to face him. “Jimin, I'm not using Bogum. I'm genuinely releasing my feelings for Jungkook. Trying to spend time with Bogum is a step towards that.”

“When we said you have to stop loving him, we didn't mean using someone as a distraction, Tae. It feels like you're just using Bogum, no matter how you look at it,” he retorted firmly.

“Jiminie...” I cooed, attempting to ease the tension.

“No, Tae. When I said you need to move on, I didn't mean at the expense of someone else. I won't let you use Bogum, not that poor guy,” he asserted, his concern resonating with a touch of protectiveness.

I sighed, my body sinking into the edge of the bed, a pout forming as I absentmindedly fidgeted with my fingers. “I know that, Jiminie. But I'm being honest with you. I won't use Bogum. I just want to test if this could work.”

“And what if it doesn't? What's your plan for Bogum? Drop him like a mushed potato? If it backfires, and you still find yourself entangled with Jungkook, then what, Taehyung? We're talking about consequences here. If this fails, you'll be hurt again, and it will be doubly painful because you'll also hurt Bogum,” Jimin scolded, standing before me with the authority of a concerned parent. He sighed. “I know you don't love Bogum anymore, Tae, but spare the poor guy,” he added. “As you said, he lost everything—parents, friends, dreams. Now, don't make him feel like he has the worst life in the world. Tae, you know that feeling.”

My gaze dropped to my fingers, contemplating Jimin's words. He had a valid point; there was truth in what he said. But I wasn't intending to use Bogum. I wasn't that kind of person.

“Jiminie... It's not like that, okay? I've told you countless times, I won't use Bogum. I just want to be friends with him. Maybe, by doing that, I can steer clear of Jungkook. Perhaps, just perhaps, I can finally rid myself of these feelings,” I asserted. Jimin sighed and lightly slapped his forehead. He turned away, his back facing me as he tried to compose himself. I knew he was worried, but I reassured him that I would take good care of myself.

I stood up, embracing Jimin from behind, resting my chin on his shoulder. “Jiminie...”

“I swear, Kim Taehy–” Jimin's words were abruptly silenced by the blaring honk of a car. I released Jimin and hurried to the window, catching sight of Bogum stepping out of his car and approaching the gate.

Seconds later, the doorbell rang. I glanced at Jimin, and realization struck him. “Kim Taehyung?! What the hell?”

I nervously smiled at him. “I gave him my address, hyung.”

Jimin facepalmed and glared at me. “You're out of your mind, Kim Taehyung.”

I sighed and approached him, taking his hand and locking eyes. “Jiminie... There's no way you can stop me. I know you won't believe me even if I tell you a million times that I won't use him, but I'm genuinely telling you the truth. It's either you believe me or not. This is my ace, Jimin. If I let this chance slip away, I'm telling you, I won't be able to stand up ever again. So, please, understand me. You're the one who told me to move on. Now that Bogum is here, I need his help. Using him and asking for help are two entirely different things, I hope you know that,” I earnestly explained.

“But Tae, I didn't mean it like this. You–”

I cut him off by embracing him. I rubbed his back and traced small circles. “I know you're just worried. But have trust in me,” I whispered. I felt him sigh and hug me back. I smiled, holding him tightly, seeking reassurance in our connection.

“Tae, you've got a visitor!” Yoongi-hyung's voice reverberated from downstairs. A soft laugh escaped me as I pulled away from Jimin, shooting him a smile before turning to leave the room.

Descending the stairs, my eyes fell on a man seated on the couch, holding a bouquet of flowers and chocolates. Internally, I chuckled, secretly yearning for these gifts to be from the one I love the most.

Bogum turned his head as I approached, swiftly standing up with a warm smile, patiently waiting for me to reach the bottom.

Once in front of him, I greeted him with a smile. “Hi.”

“Hi,” he shyly replied, extending the gifts. I eyed them, my thoughts drifting to a certain raven-haired guy, envisioning him making such thoughtful gestures for me. “For you,” Bogum added.

I smiled, graciously accepting his gifts, and glanced at a perplexed Yoongi-hyung. Flashing him a smile, I guided Bogum toward Yoongi-hyung, introducing them. “Ahh... Bogum, this is Yoongi-hyung. Yoongi-hyung, this is Bogum.”

Yoongi-hyung scrutinized Bogum, making the latter visibly uneasy. Yoongi didn't know Bogum well, only aware that he was the person who hurt me before. Excluding Hoseok, Namjoon, and Jimin, none of them knew what Bogum looked like, as I hadn't shared much about him in the past, keeping them from forming any preconceived notions.

Yoongi-hyung nodded, extending his hand. Bogum glanced at me before cautiously accepting Yoongi's hand for a handshake.

After they let go, I turned to Yoongi. “Hyung, I'll be out until this evening. Please tell Jin-hyung I won't make it to dinner,” I said with a smile.

Yoongi-hyung just stared at me, his eyes silently probing, before nodding and giving Bogum a pointed look. “Take good care of Tae. And don't hurt him like you did before.”

My eyes widened at the last sentence, but before I could scold him, he had already turned his back and ascended the stairs. I shook my head, a humorless chuckle escaping me.

Facing Bogum, whose face had flushed with embarrassment and discomfort, I sighed and offered an apologetic smile. “Sorry about that,” I said.

He shook his head, managing a genuine smile. “It's okay. Ready to go?”

I nodded, taking the lead. As we stepped outside by his car, I glanced back and saw YoonMin by my window, observing us. I smiled and waved; Jimin returned the gesture.

Bogum opened the passenger seat's door, and I slid inside. Another sigh escaped me, a subtle nod confirming my decision.

This is the best thing you could do, Tae. It's better this way.

—————