NN 21

Taehyung.

“Thank you, Tae, for tonight,” Bogum's voice held a note of gratitude as he parked the car outside my house. I managed a nod, a silent acknowledgment of his words.

“Once again, I'm sorry,” he added, his sincerity palpable. I offered a forgiving smile in return.

“You're forgiven, Bogum,” I replied, trying to ease the weight of his remorse. His wide smile hinted at relief as he unfastened his seatbelt and enveloped me in a tight embrace.

Caught off guard, I stiffened in his arms, unable to reciprocate the warmth. Despite my discomfort, I offered a gentle tap on his shoulder, a feeble attempt to convey acceptance. Sensing my unease, he withdrew, his apology a whisper in the quiet.

As I reached to unbuckle my seatbelt, Bogum swiftly exited the car, holding the door open for me. Stepping out, I faced him with resolve.

“Bogum, I need to be clear. I can only offer you friendship,” my words carried a weight I couldn't ignore.

His smile faltered, a silent acknowledgment of our diverging paths. Yet, he reached for my hand, tracing circles on my knuckles with his thumb. Each touch sent ripples of conflicting emotions through me, a reminder of the complexities we couldn't unravel.

Despite the distance between us, Bogum's presence lingered, a testament to the bonds we forged and the boundaries we dared not breach.

"I hope... I hope I can hold you more than just friends. Because, Tae, I still love you," he said, his voice trembling with emotion as he gazed at my hand. Tenderly, he brought it to his lips and planted a soft kiss, his eyes never leaving mine. "I still love you. Not a day goes by that I don't think of you or long for you beside me, Tae," he confessed, his words heavy with longing. Another kiss followed, gentle yet filled with unspoken yearning. "I miss you so much," he murmured against the back of my hand, his lips barely touching but his emotions palpable.

My heart sank as I absorbed his words and felt the weight of his emotions. It was surreal, confronting the love from my past that still lingered. Despite the history we shared, it couldn't compete with the love I now held for Jungkook.

"I'm sorry, Bogum," I whispered, gently withdrawing my hand. His pained expression mirrored the ache in my heart, and I wished I could ease his suffering.

He wiped away the tears that had escaped his eyes, his voice thick with emotion. "I'm sorry, Tae. I got carried away. Please forgive me. Just... let me love you. Allow me to love you, Taehyung," he pleaded, his vulnerability tugging at my heartstrings.

I gazed deeply into his eyes, witnessing the silent plea, the flicker of hope, and the glimmer of happiness. But I couldn't bear to be the one he relied on for his joy. I couldn't extinguish the hope shining in his eyes or inflict further pain. Reluctantly, I nodded, silently granting him the privilege of loving me.

His face lit up, the familiar smile of love returning as he enveloped me in a tight embrace, catching me off guard.

"Thank you," his voice barely a whisper as he pulled away, tears wiped away. I nodded in response, knowing the weight of my decision.

"Do you have plans for tomorrow, Tae?" he asked, a hopeful tone in his voice.

I sighed, realizing the inevitable. "I'm heading to Jeju for my gallery tomorrow," I replied, bracing myself for his response.

His eyes sparkled with anticipation. "Can I come?" he pleaded, a hint of vulnerability in his voice.

"I'm sorry, but you can't. I'm going with him," a familiar voice interrupted from behind me. I turned to see Jungkook emerge from the shadows, his intense gaze fixed on me. My heart raced as he directed his attention towards Bogum, his clenched jaw and fists betraying the tension in the air.

My eyes widened and my heart skipped a beat when Jungkook stepped out of the darkness. With his dark eyes and lips drawn into a thin line, he looked at me questioningly. I gulped as his gaze shifted towards Bogum. The clenching of his jaw and fist didn't escape my notice.

"Jungkook," I muttered, but he didn't acknowledge me. Instead, his intense stare remained fixed on Bogum, who held his ground. They locked eyes, mirroring the intensity of their confrontation inside my gallery. It felt like déjà vu.

"It's late. Why are you still here, Bogum?" Jungkook's voice dripped with irritation, completely disregarding my presence. I could sense the anger simmering beneath his words. With my heart racing, I reached out and grasped Bogum's forearm, urging him to leave. He gazed at me with affection, and I knew Jungkook didn't miss it.

"You should go, Bogum. Jungkook is right—it's late," I nervously urged. Bogum furrowed his brows in confusion.

"You didn't answer my question, Tae. Can I come with you?" he asked, his smile faltering slightly as he caught my subtle shake of the head. His disappointment flashed across his face, though he quickly masked it with a smile.

"And you still haven't answered my question, Bogum. Why are you still here?" Jungkook's tone remained firm. Bogum glanced at him and smirked, a tense atmosphere settling between them.

Oh shit

I turned to face Jungkook, gripping his arm firmly. "Let's go, Kooks," I urged, but he remained rooted to the spot, his fists clenched, his gaze fixed on Bogum, who stood defiantly.

"Why are you here?" Jungkook's voice was taut, his tone betraying his simmering anger.

Bogum smirked, his eyes flickering towards me. "I invited this handsome bear to join me for dinner, and it's pretty obvious that I'm taking him home," he replied, his words dripping with disdain.

Jungkook's features hardened, his demeanor growing more menacing by the second. I felt a knot of nervousness forming in my stomach. "Oh, is that so? Well then, I should thank you for escorting my beloved princess home safely. Your kindness is duly noted, Bogum. However, I'd appreciate it if you'd leave now and ensure you drive responsibly," Jungkook retorted, his voice laced with biting sarcasm.

Bogum's jaw tightened even further, his fists clenching with barely restrained fury. I could sense the tension escalating rapidly, and I knew I had to act fast. Sensing Jungkook's approach from behind, I turned to him, holding onto his arm tightly. As the air crackled with animosity between them, I interjected before the situation could escalate any further.

"Bogum... You need to head home now. Let's catch up another time," I intervened, my voice firm yet gentle. Bogum glanced at me, exhaling audibly. He offered a resigned smile and tousled my hair. I recoiled slightly, sensing the hurt flicker in his eyes.

With another smile, Bogum turned away, disappearing into his car that soon vanished into the night.

I turned to face Jungkook, his gaze piercing and intense, filled with unspoken emotions.

Call me presumptuous, but I couldn't ignore the jealousy and anguish etched in his eyes. Despite relying solely on my intuition, I couldn't shake off the notion that there was more to his gaze. It stirred a glimmer of hope within me, suggesting the possibility of reciprocated feelings.

Yet, in the blink of an eye, his expression turned distant, void of any warmth.

Jungkook, I'm bewildered. Please, don't leave me in this state of confusion.

———