[79]

idk shit abt court so don't judge me if i use the wrong vocab or things happen that don't usually happen ig

The heavy sound of a hammer against a hard piece of wood sounded through the chamber.

"Silence!" The judge demanded, causing the entire court room to go quiet.

Soomin had never been in a court room before. The visuals, the smell, the ambience- everything was new to her.

But that wasn't what held her attention. Rather who sat at the opposition table, in a striped jumpsuit and hands cuffed in front of him. His dark hair fell over his forehead, and partially over his eyes, but Soomin could tell that he was looking back at her. Even when he came in, he sent her a small, reassuring smile.

"The plaintiff's attorney shall speak." The old, fossil-looking judge announced before the entire attention's court room shifted towards Soomin and her dad.

The middle-aged lawyer sitting to the other side of her father stood up, adjusting his tie before he spoke. Soomin recognized him, he had worked for their corporation for a long time. And reasonably so, he was amazing at his job.

"As stated in previous meetings, the defendant, along with all the others involved in the case, have committed numerous crimes against the constitution of the Republic of Korea." The man began, clearing his throat before he briefed over the documents he held in his hand. "Firstly, they've abducted the victim, which under Article 288 is punishable by 10 years in prison. The defendant and his partners have also committed fraud by demanding compensation from Mr.Park, and our side will fight for them to get another 10 years rather than just paying a fine."

Soomin's face dropped tremendously. 20 years. They wanted 20+ years. And the lawyer didn't even seem to be done.

With worried eyes, her eyes trailed over towards Donghyuck. It was obvious that he was trying to stay calm and collected, but his eyes were betraying him, and the girl could see the burning hate as well as the crippling fear in them.

"Further on, upon discussion, the defendant should also be charged for assault and possibly worse damage caused to the victim." The lawyer spoke strictly, yet was obviously more wary.

"Objection!" Donghyuck attorney immediately demanded, and got a small nod from the judge before continuing. "There is no proof for that statement. In my understanding, the victim is completely unharmed and did not report that any physical violence took place."

"I agree." The judge hummed with a nod. "Mr. Kang, accuse only when you have evidence to back up your claims."

"Upon consultation, me and my team have come to the conclusion that physical violence was very likely." Mr. Kang, Soomin's lawyer, retorted immediately. "The defendant has been previously imprisoned and bailed out for aggravated assault, which can prove his aggressive nature. It is more than likely that he physically harmed the victim. The fact that the victim has been left with severe mental health issues should be taken into consideration, as the disorder that she's been diagnosed with may force her to lie to help her captor."

Soomin's hands clenched in her lap, and she was about to stand up and voice her own opinion, but she was quickly seated back down by her father's hand on her arm. She looked up at him, and was met with demanding, angered eyes.

"All right Mr. Kang. That will definitely be taken into consideration." The judge announced, before looking over towards the two people beside his stand.

One of them, a young man that was clearly new to the profession, stood up and cleared his throat. "There will now be a 10 minute break for the court to discuss the current accusations."

The room immediately broke out into whispers and groans as the judge and his subordinates left the room through a back door. Soomin's eyes immediately shifted over to Donghyuck once again, this time being met by his dark orbs as well.

He attempted at a little encouraging smile, but the girl almost felt her heart breaking as she saw the weakness in it. Donghyuck was worried sick as well, it was painfully obvious.

"Soomin." Her name being spoken right beside her forced the girl to whip her head towards it. There she saw her father with a murky expression. "Come on, you'll be outside on the benches for the break. You're not allowed in the same room as that filthy scum if it's not during trial."

Soomin bit down on her bottom lip, the words 'filthy scum' immediately triggering her anger. But she decided to go, knowing that arguing at that moment wouldn't do anyone any good. She left the room along with her father and Mr. Kang, and obediently sat down on one of the wooden benches beside the door.

"Stay here. You're only allowed back in with the presence of Mr. Kang and myself, so no funny business."

Soomin didn't respond, simply turning her head away to show that she was ignoring her. Her father let out a long, frustrated sigh before he turned around and began walking away, followed by his lawyer.

 Her father let out a long, frustrated sigh before he turned around and began walking away, followed by his lawyer

dont you fear my children it is not over yet