[87]

It failed

It failed. Everything failed, it ended before it started, it never could've worked. It was done.

Soomin was furious. She was furious, sad, desperate, hopeless- a complete mess. But none of those emotions reflected on her face. Absolutely none as she stood in place, staring at herself in the tall mirror.

Her dress was breathtaking. It was purely white and puffy, extending all the way down to her feet and beyond. Tiny detailed flowers and patterns shaped the upper part of her dress down to her waist. Her hair was pulled back half-up, half-down with a crown-like headdress sitting on the top of her head. Behind her trailed a long veil, made of soft, translucent fabric.

The dress, the makeup, the hair, the shoes, the jewelry- everything was beyond beautiful.

But Soomin didn't feel beautiful. No, she's never felt uglier. To her, the dress, the makeup, the hair, the shoes, the jewelry- it was all pathetic. She'd never hated looking in the mirror as much as she did at that moment.

And she couldn't even cry. It would 'ruin the makeup', as the maid had said.

Suddenly, there was a light knock coming from the wooden door to the bridal suite.

"Come in." Soomin called out softly, all of her spirit to fight this having absolutely evaporated.

The door open, revealing one of the assisting maids that assisted the wedding preparations.

"Miss Park, are you done?"

"Yes. When is the ceremony starting?" Soomin turned towards the woman with exhausted eyes.

"In 30 minutes."

The girl nodded in response, almost gagging as she turned back towards the mirror. "You can go. I want to be alone for a moment."

The maid bowed her head deeply, and with that, she was gone.

A small, shaky breath escaped Soomin's lips. All she wanted to hurt her own reflection. To shatter the delicate glass of the mirror, to remove the image of herself like this from her memory entirely.

But she couldn't do anything. She was useless.

Another knock was heard on the door, but this time, it was opened right afterwards.

"What do you want-" Soomin began, starting to get agitated, but paused as she noticed the two figures at the door.

"Chanyeol?" Was the first thing she managed to utter, having instantly recognized her cousin despite his dark disguise.

"Hey little one." Chanyeol smiled weakly as he took off his mask.

Soomin's attention then shifted to the other person, and her heart dropped. "Miss Song?"

The woman seemed to not know what to reply with, simply taking a deep breath as she returned the girl's gaze.

"What are you guys doing here?" Soomin asked as the two came forward.

"Did you think that I wouldn't visit you?" Chanyeol stepped towards her, tucking a lose strand of her hair behind her ear. "Of course I had to come. It's your special day."

"There's nothing special about it." Soomin bit down on her bottom lip, already feeling herself becoming emotional.

Despite his desire to help, Chanyeol's hands were tied. He felt helpless as he stared down at his young cousin, knowing that he couldn't get her out of this situation. He hated himself for it.

Then, miss Song came forward. She gently wrapped her hands around Soomin, making sure the girl was comfortable with it before she tightened her grip. A bit surprised, but too in the moment to care, the young girl hugged right back.

"I'm sorry this is happening to you." Miss Song whispered into Soomin's ear. "It's all my fault. I'm sorry."

"No, it's not." Soomin tried to re-assure her, despite having to hold back tears herself. "It's not your fault. I appreciate you for being here, you really didn't have to."

Miss Song hummed lightly, before whispering something, that was probably more to herself.

"You feel just like Yuna."

Soomin froze.

It felt like her heart had stopped beating, her lungs had stopped breathing. Like the life was sucked out of her in one single moment, in one single word.

'What the hell am I doing? Getting married? To Sunwoo?'
Soomin thought, disbelief washing over her.

"Don't you worry, as soon as I get out, I'll save you."

'Please... please, someone save me.'
She thought, the tears finally appearing in her eyes as her grip tightened on the elderly lady.

But despite the spirit of a fighter finally making it's return, Soomin was still helpless.

She would get married that day. And there was no doubt about it.

 And there was no doubt about it