[86]

"Things really aren't looking up right now Soomin

"Things really aren't looking up right now Soomin."

The helpless-sounding words felt like a blow to the girl's heart. She felt her shoulder's slumping tremendously, body slouching into the leather chair she sat in.

"After the fight that Donghyuck was involved in, the court seems to be more cautious of him. It basically proved to them that he's dangerous." Chanyeol's head hung low in shame.

"He's not dangerous, he only did it because of-"
"I know why he did it, Soomin. He already told me." Her cousin interrupted her, looking up to make eye contact. "But he still instigated the conflict. The court will not give a flying fuck why he did it, the fact is, he hospitalized another inmate. To them, he is dangerous." He spat out roughly.

Soomin bit down on her bottom lip, already feeling the tears of frustration pooling in her eyes. Chanyeol quickly noticed this, sighing deeply as he leaned back in his own chair.

"I'm sorry for exploding on you like this." He apologized quietly in a much warmer and softer voice. "It's just... I doubt that we'll be able to turn this around. Even if we manage to lower Donghyuck's sentence, he'll probably still be imprisoner for at least a couple of years. But because of your father's influence, it'll probably be even more than that."

"How about the others? Kun, Jisung, Chenle?" Soomin asked, leaning in with desperation in her eyes.

"Jisung and Chenle are still considered minors, and I'm already discussing with the court to send them off with a fine and on house arrest for a month or two. Kun is probably also going to have it easy, considering he's a model citizen and has got many good records with the police. Having a doctoral degree can really help a person in court as well." Chanyeol listed, eventually sighing deeply once again. "The only one who's at the risk of facing an actual sentence is Donghyuck."

"Oh my gosh." Soomin mumbled, lowering her face to shove it into her palms.

In all honesty, she had no idea what to do. She's never faced the real world in this way, never had to care about what happens in court. She hated herself for being unable to do anything to help Donghyuck. She despised her cluelessness.

"Hey, don't be too sad. It's going to be hard, but eventually I'll find a crack. I'll make sure to get them all out safe and sound." Chanyeol leaned over, patting her on the shoulder comfortingly.

But in that moment of desperation, Soomin felt an idea pop up in her head. It wasn't sophisticated, intelligent or in any way guaranteed to work, but she could still give it a try.

Yes, she will. For Donghyuck.

♫   

Soomin had become a master of sneaking out.

In her dark and basic clothing, she walked through the crowds quickly. Her eyes constantly shifted in all directions, trying to figure out whether she was being followed.

She definitely wasn't, but she still felt paranoid.

Using a bunch of alleyways as shortcuts, eventually, Soomin found her way to the court house. At this time of night, all the lights were off and the place was ghosted. At least from the outside.

The girl carefully walked up to the front of the building and to the large wooden door. Without thinking twice, she took out a white envelop from her pocket, slipping it through the crack at the bottom of the door.

It fit nicely, and soon enough, the deed was done and there was no turning back.