1.

Jamir Reign

"Wake up, Jamir!" I heard a little voice squealing throughout my bedroom.

I opened my eyes to my baby sister, Juna in her matching pajamas holding her teddy bear, "Something happened to Mommy!"

Instantly, I rose up and grabbed my gun from my nightstand drawer. I ain't know what Juna was talking about.

Leaving my bedroom with Juna close behind, I entered my mama room to see her laying on the floor with white foam around her mouth and her eyes wide.

My heart sunk as I looked at her right hand to see an empty pill bottle and a couple of syringes.

This night, my mother had overdosed.

6 Years Later into the Present

"You good, nigga? You all silent and shit." My homeboy, Nas asked as he passed me the blunt.

I had zoned out, thinking about my mama. I tended to do shit like that.

Nas been my homeboy since grade school. He knows all the shit I've been through, from the day my mama died to me taking Juna in my care at thirteen.

Although he on some pretty boy shit sometimes, he was my homie. One of the only niggas I could count on.

"He straight. His fine ass just in his thoughts and shit." Boop rolled her eyes looking in my direction.

Boop was a fine ass mixed joint; the only girl we really hung with. She used to get bullied in school.

Her and Nas known each other since they was young. He introduced her to the gang; the only people I consider family other than Juna.

She was a little thug joint. Always seen me as some attractive ass nigga. She always wanted a chance but I don't think I could hit that.

Plus, she gang. It would be dead wrong to hit her or even commit to something.

"You always makin' this nigga head big. You bouta stop hanging 'round us fo' real." Tee waved Boop off as he rolled up another blunt.

Tee another one of my homeboys. I met him in my freshman year of high school. He was in an off and on relationship with his girl Maddie.

"I'm straight." I said as I laid back in my seat, hitting the blunt a few times before passing it to Boop.

Batting her eyes and perking up her lips to kiss the air, she took the blunt causing me to laugh. I took out my phone cause I wanted to hit up some hoes tonight. I wanted to see what the men was on first though.

"Fuck y'all on tonight?" I looked up from my phone.

"Shit. What you on?" Tee ran his hands through his neck-length dreads.

"Maybe we can go to this poppin ass kickback around the way? I heard hella motherfuckers finna be at that joint." Boop smiled as she looked over at me.

Man, she be so ready to be seen in public with me. Like I'm her nigga or somethin'.

"That sounds aight..." Nas shrugged. "Some pussy would be real good. Haven't got nun in about—"

"In about three fucking days. Stop being so nasty, you going to catch sum for real, Nasir." She scoffed, turning her attention to him.

"Fuck you the feds now, Boop? I fucks what I want. Ion say nun bout you slinging that wolf pussy around." Nas shrugged her off which caused Tee and I to instantly die from laughter.

Leave it up to Nas and Boop to be beefin. They got a real brother and sister relationship.

"Aye mane, whatever." Tee scratched the back of his head with his freehand as he took the blunt from Boop, "We pullin' up to this motherfucker or nah?"

"Sounds good." I shrugged, "Y'all niggas know I just tag along to shit like that."

"Mane fuck that shit. We gon find some fine ass bitches tonight. We finna drink, smoke, allat shit. This lil kickback finna be on some shit. I know the hoes gon be out. It's hot as fuck outside." Tee leaned over, dapping up Nas as Boop rolled her eyes.

"Jamir, if you don't wanna go we can chill and smoke here." Boop cooed.

"Nah, Ima slide." I stood up after looking at the time on my phone. It was three in the afternoon and Juna got out of school at three-thirty. "I'm finna head out on you niggas and catch y'all asses later."

I made my way over to Nas and dapped him before dapping up Tee and giving Boop a lil side hug.

"Ard nigga. Let us know what you on." Tee spoke up and I nodded as I slipped out the project building.

I headed to my ride. After getting situated in the vehicle, I pulled off towards Juna's school.

Although I hang with these motherfuckers, I still got hella responsibilities: Juna. My baby sister only eleven and still processing shit one day at a time.

She knows I'm always there for her though.

~

Arriving in front of the school building, Juna ran over to the car, and hopped in the backseat.

"Jamir!" She called out as she closed the door and buckled her seatbelt.

"Allat yellin' girl. Why you so excited?" I pulled off towards our crib once she was settled in the backseat.

We still stayed in my mama house. Not much but a three bedroom and two bath. Never really been a point in moving out. We missed her and the house was a piece of her.

"Well..." She stretched out and I already knew she was about to ask for something, "Krissy's having a slumber party tonight and I really wanted to go. Can I please go? It's going to be so fun. We're going to watch movies, make Tik Toks, eat pizza—"

"Ard, I ain't got no problems with any of that. When we get in the house just pack them bags and I'll take you over to Krissy's fasho." I glanced at her in the rear view mirror to see a smile creep across her face.

"Best big brother ever!" She exclaimed and that's honestly what made my day.