Introduction

-

My name is Samantha Goode and I've been best friends with Daniel "Diggy" Simmons since birth - literally. We grew up doing almost everything together thanks to my mom - Martha Goode, or as I like to call her the MG (she hates when I call her that) - and his mom - Mrs. Justine - being best friends since they were toddlers, too. It'd be really cool if me and Diggy could have a similar type of friendship like that too, growing old together and having fun. We both share a passion for playing basketball; in fact, we each play on the girls' and boys' Varsity basketball teams at school. From a young age, together we've experienced the ups and downs of life from birthday parties, church events, sporting events, doctor visits, family trips, grade school graduations, and even my parents' divorce -- so it'd be great if we were also by each others' side playing ball at UCLA after graduation. 

Along with Diggy, I also have two other close friends named Becca and Khalil. All of us are seniors at Wesley High School in New York City. It's a pretty decent school. As long as nobody gets in my face with drama, it's great. Next week is the last week of school until winter break - WHOOPIE! I can't wait to spend my month-long vacation sleeping and eating my boring life away at home. But enough about next week because today is something special.

Today, my children, is a new day.

Today is the best day of our lives.

Today is Friday! And you know what that means? 

...BEST FRIENDS DAY!!!

...You haven't heard of it? Well, Best Friends Day is always on a Friday, and it's when me and my amigos kick it at each other's houses and play video games, watch movies, and eat our heads off! Mhm! Today, I will be snacking on some pepperoni pizza, barbecue potato chips, spicy hot wings, grilled hot dogs, cookies, candy, and... celery sticks?!?!

-

"Mom, what is this?!" I yell in disbelief to the MG.

"Celery," my mom says, oblivious to what she just did.

"Are you crazy?! Who eats celery sticks and other unidentifiable vegetables at a party? Are you trying to kill us?!" I ask her, in a serious tone. She obviously doesn't understand the meaning of the term 'party'.

"You already eat enough junk food, Samantha. I'm trying to be the good mom and provide my daughter - and her friends - some healthy choices," the MG says.

"Sam," my best female friend Becca says. She's Puerto Rican and oh so fashionable. "It's really not that bad. Just try it, it's good!" She enthuses while munching on a celery stick. Why does she always join the enemy's side? SMH.

"No! I will not try it! Now where is the soda? Mom, we have to have soda, G," I whine.

My mom gave me the 'stop playing' look. Aw man, she's about to shut me down.

"Samantha, stop whining. And I am not your G. Now you oughta be grateful I let you bring your friends over some time. All I'm doing is trying to help, but I'll get out of you all's way... have fun." 

And with that, she walks up the stairs to her bedroom.

"Dang, Sam. You're too dramatic," Khalil says with a laugh, fixing his cap on his short-shaved head. He's also a Varsity basketball player at school.

"If you thought that was bad, you should see what she does when she can't find her lucky socks," my main dog Diggy says. He has a handful of chips in his hand, stuffing them in his mouth.

I roll my eyes and walk over to the kitchen table, where all the snacks are laid out.

"Whatever. Y'all can get your snacks. Let's watch the game already!" I say. I grab two slices of pizza on a plate and a handful of chocolate sandwich cookies and walk into our small living room. Even with only four people, the small space feels crowded. It's only me and my mama living in the house, so it's not too bad for us. But when company comes over, it gets packed like crazy.