A Discovery

Sunday.

Cassandra's least favorite day of the entire week for mainly two reasons:

 1. She couldn't go to Weasley's Wizard Wheezes

 2. She was required to spend some 'quality time' with Adrian

Cassandra hated all Sundays. (And no she was not being dramatic.)

Sure she could try to sneak away to the shop but the twins would probably be confused by her clinginess to work (for merlin's sake she only got two days off). Also, if Adrian were to discover that Cassandra had a job, much less this one, he would ruin everything.

So Cassandra roamed the apartment, lazily trying to find something to occupy herself with until Adrian returned. She thumbed over their large mahogany bookshelf, scanning for something she hadn't already read.

After some internal conflict she decided to read Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice for the fourth time, knowing the outcome would be envying a life she could never possess.

As she got to the introduction of her favorite Mr. Darcy, a roar of emerald flame ignited in the fireplace and loud Adrian stepped into the loft.

"Hon! I got you a gift!" He stated, stumbling from the weight of the surprise in his arms. He placed it on a window sill and adjusted the thin silk sheet covering it, making sure the gift below wasn't peaking through.

Cassandra set her book down and dragged herself off the couch, reminding herself she needed to act interested.

"I know how you love fine art babydoll, so I got you this!" Adrian uttered, pinching her cheek tightly.

Cassandra hated when he did that and she hated that pet name but, he was right—she did love art.

She felt her chest swell at the thought of what could be beneath the veil, only to be disappointed when he dramatically cast it off.

The so-called 'fine art' was a bust of him, his smirking face chiseled into the stone.

"You like it?" He asked while admiring the bust.

"Yes of course the one thing I wanted was your face in stone" Cassandra thought to herself, her internal monologue laced with sarcasm.

She placed on the mask of fake happiness she always used around him, "Yes I love it! How lovely!"

Adrian sloppily kissed her on the cheek before strutting off to his office, "Go to put on something pretty, we are going to lunch."

Fucking great. Just great.

Once he was out of view she gave the sculpture a disgusted cringe before going to change.

Once she had dressed, Adrian gave a nod of approval to the plaid dress, a nod she didn't ask for or want.

Still, she locked arms with him as they stepped into Diagon Alley and headed to the Leaky Cauldron for their 'date'.

__________

The entirety of their lunch was mainly Adrian telling her about his work, seeking praise and compliments. She delivered them hoping it would make the day more tolerable.

The new world she had found in her secret work had truly opened her eyes, she had no idea how numb she was before it all. Before really knowing George and learning about herself.

Before knowing him, Adrian was bearable, his touch eliciting nothing in its wake. Now she cringed at his affection.

"Hon, are you even listening to me?" Adrian spat, smacking his food.

"Sorry..." Cassandra droned, pushing her fork around her plate.

He promptly checked his pocket watch and his mood shifted, "C'mon let's go, this food is shit anyways."

"But I haven't fin-"

"Now" he snapped, throwing down a few sickles and dragging her out of the restaurant.

He was rushing so they apparated home, and he darted into the bedroom. Only moments later he emerged holding a satchel.

"I'll be back in a bit!" He yelled as he raced out the door.

Cassandra found the whole thing odd but she wasn't complaining.

__________

A few hours had passed and she had already finished her novel.

"What the hell is he up to?" She mumbled to herself.

For claiming to be "back in a bit!" Cassandra started to wonder if he was ever coming back at all.

After laying in their bay window her mind started to replay two nights ago and how she was certain George had almost kissed her. Cassandra was fantasizing about it when a spirited suggestion crossed her mind.

Why not pop into the shop? Adrian had been gone for hours, maybe he would be out all night...why not?

If he caught her out she could say she was looking for him.

To Cassandra, this was a solid plan. She ran to the closet, throwing on a dark cloak in order to become inconspicuous. After tying up her oxfords, she raced out the door and headed down Diagon Alley.

Turning the corner, Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes came into view, it's vibrant bright orange contrasting to the rest of the lackluster buildings.

As she got closer a familiar laugh echoed out, paralyzing her.

She hid down a cramped alleyway, slowly peeking out to find its source.

She knew that laugh too well.

Adrian.

After several minutes, she spotted him and her jaw hit the ground.

His figure was linked arm in arm with another, smaller one. Almost familiar. Adrian turned to the woman, her curly voluptuous hair framing her face flawlessly.

As if watching in slow motion, Adrian's hand slowly cupped her face and he pulled her in for a passionate kiss.

Cassandra didn't know he was capable of such emotion or warmth but it made sense now, he didn't want this either.

As their laughter grew louder Cassandra knew she needed to leave, that she wasn't supposed to know any of this. Fumbling in her pocket and gripping her wand, she apparated home, quickly busying herself. She threw on her silk nightgown and climbed in their bed.

Her mind was going a million miles a minute trying to comprehend everything that had happened.

It could have been second, it could have been an hour, but Adrian vociferously stomped into their apartment, getting ready for bed himself.

Cassandra pretended to be asleep as she rested on her side, feeling the bed sink as he laid down on his.

She hated to admit it but, she felt...relieved.

He didn't want this either.

Suddenly she felt more hopeful for the future she wanted, cracking a sly smile in the dark of night.

A/N: This chapter was a bit of a filler but we have some very important plot at the end. Chapter 8 is definitely going to be fun ;)