Penance

This chapter is dedicated to LionWitch22  and troubleinspace0 . Thank you for the support, love, and friendship.

Song recommendation: " First Love/ Late Spring" by: Mitski

Eleanor Arcus wasn't the type of woman to invite her daughter to a "Light lunch." Events like this were always invited out to Annalise Pucey, never her own daughter.

So Cassandra had stared at the elegant calligraphy, reading over the mere two lines for the hundredth time.

Dear Cassandra,

I was hoping we could have a light lunch at The Leaky Cauldron, Thursday of this week. There are some matters I'd like to discuss.

Your mother,
Eleanor O. Arcus

She was shocked Eleanor even referred to herself as her mother anymore. Their last meeting proved nothing of the sort would ever materialize again. Yet...there it was. Your mother.

So, after much debate, Cassandra found herself in front of the mirror nitpicking her reflection. Her mother was never one to hide her disstain for outfits and Cassandra wanted to give her no more reason for negative behavior.

Cassandra has finally happy, even with the fact she had lost her family. She had gained something better, here. Eleanor needed to know that. She wanted her to believe that. Yet, the skin under her ring was rubbed raw, bright and throbbing with her errantic heartbeat. She couldn't stop twisting, until she open her palm and looked at the jagged scar from the glass.

A familiar figure walked up behind her in the mirror, looking at her through the reflection. His large warm hands traveled down her arms to eventually weave through her fingers, gripping her hands. He brought the scarred hand up closer to him, pushing her hand open to rub this thumb over the discoloration.

His voice was quiet and hot as he whispered in her ear, "I know you don't like it but, it is a show of your strength Cassandra. You not only survived but the kicked sorry sod's arse. You're a bloody warrior, a survivor. You can survive this too."

"I know. I just—"

He was looking her in the eye through the glass, "If you don't want to go, you don't have to, it doesn't make you any less strong to know your limits."

She sighed, trying to exhale the dread from her body. "I'm going, not because she deserves it but I know I'll spend the rest of my life wondering what she would have said."

"That's my girl," He kissed her cheek, "She's lucky to have you."

She gave him a grin that didn't quite crease her eyes. George pulled her back to lean into his chest, "You sure you don't want me to come along? I could jinx her hair blue if she says anything cross."

This finally earned a true smile from her, one that made George all the more happy. "I think I should do this alone," She turned around and looped her hands around the back of his neck, tilting her head up at him, "Besides...she doesn't deserve to know anything about my life, especially you."