Damaged❗

Lena feels she is responsible for a sickness that has threatened the lives of several children. She is guilt ridden and has given up. Thankfully, Kara is able to step in and provide comfort.

(This is a one shot scene, or technically a continuation of a scene, from the 3x05 episode of Supergirl called Damage.)

Kara entered the house, confused by the dim light that greeted her. The sound of broken glass drew her attention, and she called out hesitantly. "Lena?"

Making her way to the kitchen, she saw her... or what was left of her after today. The normally poised and confident woman was obviously as broken as the shattered glass. A bottle of wine, and mostly empty glass sat on the counter in front of her. Lena looked up to greet her. "Hey, hey look I made a metaphor!"

Kara ignored the woman's statement, instead looking in concern as Lena lifted the wine bottle to refill her glass. "Are you here alone?" Searching the kitchen, she quickly found a small dust pan and broom.

Lena finished filling her glass and replaced the bottle, giving Kara a half glance. "Sam's running the company, Ruby's at a friends...what news from the front?" She brought the glass to her lips and drank deeply.

Kara walked briskly to the counter and started cleaning up the broken glass, wary of saying anything that could upset her friend further. "Nothing yet."

"You know, you're terrible at hiding things from me." Lena looked up at her, the dark, tear stained circles under her eyes highlighted by the dim light in the room. Kara had never seen her look like this, not in the few years they had been friends. Not even when facing Lena's mother.

Kara gave a small, dry chuckle and turned away from her to dump the broken glass in the trash, muttering softly to herself, "I wouldn't be so sure of that," as her mind flashed briefly to her true identity. Turning back to Lena, she set the pan and brush on the counter, taking a seat next to her. "I came to let you know that I'm not done. Not by a long shot. Until we know for sure, I will turn over every rock-"

A breaking voice interrupted her. "Just...just stop"

A pained look fell across Kara's face. "You are one of the strongest women I know, why aren't you fighting?"

"Because I did it, Kara!" Lena almost laughed before her voice took a soft, muted tone. "I did it." She looked down for a beat before meeting Kara's eyes. "You know all I ever wanted to be was good. My whole life I was a pariah. First because I was rich, and then because of my brother, so...and then finally I did just, just one thing, one thing that was good." She let out a sobbing chuckle. "And now I'm the monster that poisons children. You know, even Lex Luthor never did that."

"Anyone who knows you knows that you would never-"

"Maybe I'm the same...People are sick. And its my fault." Lena looked towards Kara, her eyes almost pleading for a solution to her pain.

Kara's never-ending optimism was quick and sincere. "There's still a chance it wasn't you"

"I know you believe that everything is good, and kind, and that is one of the things I love about you." There it was, in her moment of weakness, Lena admitted her love for Kara. Seemingly unaware of the implications of her words, Lena continued. "But that's not the real world. In the real world, my last name's Bin Laden, and everything I do hurts people." She took another long drink from her wine glass and her words became more frantic. "I don't know, it's in my DNA, okay? So please, just...just stop." Her voice broke again and tears stung her eyes as she raised her hand to her forehead. "Stop believing me, okay? I am, not worth it." She raised her drink again and finished the glass, squinting her eyes tight against the burning tears.