guitar lessons | steve lacy.

Cast
STEVE LACY — as VONNIE.
ARI LENNOX — as RI'LANA.
BRANDY — as GINA.

"I'LL LET VONNIE give you some lessons!" Gina suggested. I groaned at the sound of his name. "You can't be serious Gigi, Vonnie and I don't even like each other!"
She shrugged, "He's kinda our only hope here. He plays it pretty good. And you know we need it for the song you're gonna put out."
I sigh, she's right. "Well do you have his number or something?"

Gina grins at my give-in. "Give me your phone.."
5 mins later..
"Can't believe I'm really calling this uptight asshole-" I complained.
"Oh 'Lana suck it up." Gina interrupted.
I looked at her before pressing the green button.
Ring.. Ring.. Ring..
"Hello?" His soft voice answered.
"Hey— Vonnie. It's Ri'Lana. Believe it or not.."
"Uh, what are you calling me for?"
"I um— need a favor."
"And what pleasure do I owe this favor?"
I'm starting to regret asking him for these lessons.
"Okay look Vonnie, I need some guitar lessons for a new song I'm writing. And I know you play it—really good. Can you just pretend we don't like each other for this moment?" I pleaded.
The line went silent for a few. " .. You still there Von?"

".. Fine. I'll give you the.. lessons. I'm only available this Friday though."
I smiled. "Great! Send your address and I'll see you then."
"Ok. Bye."
"B-" Before I could respond, he hung up. Of course he would.
"I'm guessing he said yes..?" Gina questioned hopefully.
"Yes, yes he did."
She clapped her hands happily. "Yay! Maybe this can start y'all a friendsh-"
"Don't get your hopes up." I ensured her.

Friday— 1:30 PM, Vonnie's home.
I knocked on his door, anxious to get right on the lessons. I hope I didn't come too early. I really was supposed to come about 15 mins from now but eh. If it was me, I would've been dressed by now. I hear footsteps moving closer to the door.
"Who is it?" Vonnie asks behind the door.
"It's 'Lana."
There is a small silence before the doorknob starts to rattle and open. Vonnie is on with robe slightly opened, giving a small display of some of his tattoos.

"You were supposed to be here at 1:45 not 1:30." He points out.
"Just let me in Vonnie." I roll my eyes.
He scoffs, looking me up and down before opening the door for me to enter.
I glanced around the living room of his house and it was really nice. It had the smell of cinnamon, there were a few paintings around & fully grown plants that rested on his middle table. And the couches were a pretty burgundy color, my favorite color.

I was so mesmerized I forgot I was still standing up.
"Are we gonna stand and practice?" He asked sarcastically, taking me out of my zone and glaring at him. I sat, the couch was pretty comfy.
"Make yourself comfortable.. I guess. I gotta change, be back out in a few mins."
I nodded, messing around with my lavender-colored guitar for the meantime.
15 mins later.
Vonnie comes out, finally. He now has on a black tank top with some black sweatpants. Showing his arm and chest tattoos. I have to admit, they're very attractive.

"Took you long enough." I exaggerated.
"Well I'm soo sorry for being dressed the time you were supposed to be here." He apologized sarcastically.
"You got ready for lil' ole me?" I teased.
"..Don't be ridiculous." He laughs.
I frowned, "This is why you're single."
"Guess that makes two of us.." He shrugged carelessly.
".. Let's just start these guitar lessons."
"What type of guitar instrumental you lookin' for?"

20 mins in..
"So then, you start off with the C5 chord.." He instructed.
I was listening but I was going in and out of focus—thinking about something else.
Do we really hate each other?
"Um, Vonnie.." I trailed off.
"What is it?" He looked up from his guitar into my eyes.
Never really done that before—his eyes are dilated.
"Do you like actually hate me?"
He slowly raised his eyebrow in confusion, "I'm not getting the question."
I sucked my teeth, "Like why do we even not like each other?"
"Uh.. When you gotten drunk from the club one night and I had to take you home because Gina forced me and you threw up on the back of the front passenger seat of my car." Vonnie said with a obvious tone.
"But I apologized for that!"
"No you didn't. You called me a inconsiderate asshole and then a few weeks later, when you 'apologized', I found out Gina forced you to do it. So it wasn't genuine at all." He reminded.

I went silent in surprise and shame. Was I really that much of a bitch?
"I'm so sorry." I said sincerely.
"It's fine.. I've been over it since the week after." Von shrugged.
"I guess I never really hated you—Just wished you actually apologized." He chuckled, looking away.
"I-I've never really hated you either. I was just being a bitch." I bit my lip.
It went awkwardly quiet as we looked back and forth at each other. My heart slowly beated faster the more I looked at him. Then unexpectedly, a pair of lips went against mine. They were soft and I didn't mind them being there. My hand went onto his cheek the further it went. But I had to let go, even if I didn't want to.
"I-I'll see you later?"
"Um y-yeah. No problem," He said nervously.

I quickly gotten up with my guitar, "Thank you for the l-lesson today."
"A-Anytime!" He nodded, scratching the back of his neck. "I should probably get the door for you-"
"Oh no no you're fine! I got it."
"You sure?"
"Yes,"
I went to the door, making sure to lock it behind I went out. Once I got out, I immediately called Gina.
"Alright, tell me all of what happened."