one in a million | ginuwine.

Cast
GINUWINE — as AMARE.
LAURYN HILL — as ZARA.
NAOMI CAMPBELL — as HERSELF.

"JUST A FEW MORE STORES," Naomi said trying to give Zara more patience.
"Really? Or are we finna go to 10 more?" She sighed, knowing her lies.
The shopping trip was getting tiring. Half of the time they'd been at the mall boys had been coming up and trying to talk to Naomi—which was a usual when Zara hung out with her. Even with more friends it was the same thing. She was always the third friend.

Being used to the lifestyle, she didn't try to talk to guys anymore. They always rejected her anyway because she was "too tall" or her style was too "boy-ish". When truthfully, Zara just liked street clothes better than regular. And she was a good 5"7 which seemed like a okay height to her.

"I'm gonna go by the food court, I'm kinda hungry. You coming?" Zara questioned, thinking about a burger.
"Umm," Naomi mumbled looking through the clothes racks. "You go ahead. I'll come in about ten minutes hun."
She nodded, heading to the 'court as her stomach grumbled.
//
"Thank you!" She smiled, sitting down to a middle table. Zara took a swallow of her soda before taking her burger out the bag. While eating, she saw a few bags swing over to the seat beside her. "Whew! That was a workout.. I think I'm done for today."
Naomi plopped onto the chair with her hand on her chin. "My feet hurt."
"I wonder why." She joked.
Naomi whined, drinking on the water bottle she had.
"Z?"
"Hm?" She looked over at her.
"Is that fine piece of chocolate looking at me or you?" She muttered.

Zara looked in her direction and saw a brownskin man from about 2 tables up, looking at them—Or Naomi.
Jesus Christ.. She complimented in her mind as she took another quick glance at the man. A jawline enough to cut and eyes tempting enough to make you undress without him trying.
"H-He's probably looking at you Nie." She lowly said looking back down at her burger. I don't doubt him..
"Oh no.. he's looking at you Zara." She smiled, tapping her leg for her to look back up. "I tried to wave and he didn't even see it."
She slowly looked back up to feel their eyes connect.
He smiled at her and she shyly waved.

Naomi had a cuteness overload at their small interaction. "You should go over and talk to himmm.." She encouraged.
"Should I really?" Zara asked in a unsure tone.
"Girl if you don't go and-"
"Excuse me miss.." His deep voice softly introduced.
Zara & Naomi fastly looked up to see him.
She was too busy looking at all his features to respond, Naomi had to kick her leg for her to talk.
"H-Hello.."
"My name is Amare, what's yours?" He held out his hand.
"I'm gonna go wait in the car Z," Naomi said in her ear before gathering all her bags and getting up from the seat.

"Okay," She repiled. "I'm um, Zara." She shook his hand.
His tongue went over his lip, "Mind if I sit Zara?"
"N-No not at all," She welcomed, moving her things out the way.
Amare smiled, "So uh.. I think you're very gorgeous. I'm sure you could intend that by how much I was looking at you.. Are you taken by anyone?"
She blushed, "Thank you and no—are you?"
He chuckled, "No, I'm not one of those men. One woman only."
"Same for me.." She agreed.
"..Would you mind if I took your number and we could go on a date?"
"Umm.. what would you get out this date?" Thrilled, not stupid.

Amare just looked at her and smirked. "Hopefully more than one. Then maybe us being together.. officially."
Zara bit her lip in thought. It wouldn't hurt to try.
"Give me your phone and we'll see how this goes then?"

After the mall..

👤
703-421-3268
𝗧𝗲𝘅𝘁 𝗺𝗲𝘀𝘀𝗮𝗴𝗲
𝗧𝗼𝗱𝗮𝘆 5:30 PM

Hey, It's Amare from the mall.

Zara almost choked on the water she was drinking seeing the text.

Hi!

Lol Hi.. how you feel about a date on Friday, 8:00?

That's perfect! I'll send my location.

Her heart jumped at the thought of going on a date again. Let's see how this goes..

FRIDAY, 8:00 PM.

"I think that's him girl—I'll call you later!" Zara hung up the phone with Naomi from filling her in on everything. She applied dark purple lipstick & checked out her hair a bit before heading out the door to his car.
She smiled at him and his heart skipped a beat at her beautiful appearance.
"You look.. gorgeous." He complimented.
Zara blushed, "T-Thank you. You look very good too."
He licked his lips, "Lets get to our 8:30 reservations, shall we?"

Time Skip—9:15.
"So why are you single? Like what's wrong with you Amare? You're respectful, you're funny, you overrall have a great personality. And very good looks.." She drifted.
Amare softly chuckled as he sat up more in his seat. "Well um.. I didn't wanna tell you this til' later down the line but.."
Oh shit. He has a STD he definitely has—
"I-I have a skin condition called vitiligo."
Waay better than a STD.
"..What's wrong with that?" She shrugged.
He picked his head up a bit, "You don't.. have a problem with it? You don't think it's disgusting or anything?"
Zara frowned at how low his esteem was when it came to talking about it.
"No—it doesn't make you any different."

"Oh well thank you, Zara." He smiled. "Why are you single?" Amare questioned.
She shrugged, "Guys aren't interested in girls they're interested in a beauty standard."
Amare sighed, gently putting his hand over her's on the table. "Well they lost their chance. You're one in a million Zara. And now because they made the wrong movee.. I can make the right one." He trailed off as he leaned over the table to share a kiss, that felt—one in a million.