CHAPTER 26: Guarded

I had waited in the bathroom, collecting my thoughts for nearly five minutes now. Surely I've waited enough time for my "bodyguard" to arrive, right?

Deciding that now would be the perfect time for me to leave, I picked up my small carry bag from the bathroom floor and left the stall. Had the bathroom really been empty this entire time?

You brushed off that thought, for now, pushing the heavy swing doors before exiting the girl's bathroom to see something you really didn't want to see.

PJ...

"W..What are you doing here?!" You squealed, raising your voice at the sight of his tall frame towering over yours. All of the memories from the other day started flooding back.

Despite your inner panic, PJ seemed calm and harmless. He even gave you a warm smile and wave after you stopped screaming.

"Geno's my uncle, why wouldn't I be at his wedding?" He explained himself, re-adjusting his body against the wall so he could comfortably face you.

You remained silent, trying your best to not make eye contact with him. Just his face, no matter how attractive gave you such painful reminders, not to mention the fact that you were still angry with him for every bad thing he did before!

PJ sighed, standing up straight.

"Look, Y/N.. I-I'm sorry for what happened the other day... I don't know what happened or if I did anythi-" "-Stop. Please, just stop..."

Your mind had been screaming at him to not mention it, but you could barely speak what you had wanted to say. Tears threatened the corners of your eyes, he really shouldn't be bringing this up so soon...

"I accept your apology, but please, I don't want to speak any more on what happened.." PJ nodded and didn't push the subject any further. You let out a sigh of relief.

PJ had leant forwards down to your height, hands remaining in his pockets.

"Don't worry, I'll keep ya safe.." He stated with a wink.

It had been nice to see PJ back to his old flirty self again. He tried not to ask questions about why you were gone during your later conversations. It was painfully obvious he was avoiding the topic with how specifically he worded his sentences. It was nice to see him try this hard to make you feel comfortable...

The two of you eventually left the party to avoid all the commotion, vacating to the garden. The sun had set and the garden was quiet minus the frogs and crickets in the area.

After sitting in silence, side by side for a few minutes, backs pressed against the gazebo structure Geno and Reaper were wed under. While you blanked out, staring at the garden, you came to the realisation of something. This was the first actual conversation you had with PJ before, wasn't it? Every other time before this you've tried to avoid him or push him away. You did owe him time for the two of you to hang out, didn't you?

"You know, you're not all that bad PJ.." You stated, breaking the silence between you two. PJs eyes caught yours.

"I thought you were a lot worse, but thinking back on everything now... You've been trying hard, haven't you..?" PJ had only given a tired nod in response, letting his skull fall back after.

"You stopped bullying all those students, you apologised multiple times about what you did the other day, and avoided that topic for this entire night!" You listed, flicking up a new finger each time you listed off something new. PJs expression was unclear and his emotions were hard to read...

"You've really proved me wrong, y'know that?" You chuckled to yourself, hugging your knees for warmth.

Just after saying that, PJ had noticed how much you had been shivering and offered his blazer to you.

"Okay, now you're trying too hard." you laughed, finding his timing very amusing.

"You're cold, just take it," PJ stated, pointing to your shaking hands.

After refusing to take his blazer for so long, PJ decided to take matters into his own hands. He repositioned himself so he sat in front of you, then wrapping the blazer around your back.

You froze, unprepared for him to be this close to your face. His arms wrapping around your back... Pj could feel you shrink beneath him and let go of the coat immediately.

"oh-.. sorry.." He apologised before rising to his feet. You took a moment longer before your body relaxed.

"We should be going inside by now anyways... These mosquitoes are must be annoying you.." PJ added, finding any excuse possible to give you space.

"Do you need a hand getting up?" PJ asked, debating whether he should reach his arm out or not.

"I'm alright.. Thanks anyways.." You replied, standing up yourself.

Once you started walking back towards the party hall, you noticed PJ hadn't been following behind you. When you turned back, he had just been pacing in circles.

"Hey. Aren't you coming inside with me?" You called out, snapping him out of his trance. something had been bothering him

"Uhh yeah, you go on in, I'll meet you there!" He called back. Some part of you didn't believe that he would meet you inside any time soon, what type of bodyguard was he??

You took a few steps closer to him, watching his behaviour closely. He had been playing with the fabric at the bottom of his shirt, distracting himself from pacing.

"Is something bothering you?" You asked, pulling his blazer tighter around yourself.

"Bothering me? No, I'm fine." He lied, you could tell. Unlike earlier, you could read PJs emotions like a book. He was hiding something.

"Yes, there is. Is there any way I can help?" PJ seemed at a loss for words, trying to think of what he would say next.

"It's just- I, uh..." He stuttered, his mind running dry of words to use.

"I-... I just want to know how to make you feel safe around me... I saw how you reacted in the changing room and I hated seeing you like that... I don't want to scare you.." PJ confessed, twisting that fabric around his fingers. It was strange to see someone as usually tough as PJ is, acting like this...

"I.. I'm not scared of you, PJ... You just brought back some... Bad memories, let's say..." You explained, trying not to go into too much detail.

"Did something happen while you were 'sick'..?" He asked, making it clear he knew you weren't actually sick. Your chest felt tight when he had mentioned the lie your family had been telling everyone.

You barely brought yourself to nod in response, PJ took your silence as a confirmation.

"I get it... We don't have to talk about it anymore.." PJ paused, straightening his posture.

"Let's just go enjoy the party before it ends huh? How about that?" Changing the subject in an attempt to distract you, PJ lead you back inside towards the hall's front doors again to join the party once more.

You're glad PJ had wanted to change, it was for the better...