CHAPTER 15: Tension Rises

The echoing chimes of the bell rung out, drifting its piercing call through the corridors. Dream had dismissed his class who were anxiously waiting to leave. The sound of nails tapping the wooden desks disintegrated to nothing but the light ticking of the clock, hanging above the class door. Numerous pairs of feet rushed outwards, swarming the halls as it instantly became difficult to even do so much as to see where you're going.

Dream sighed, packing up his desk before retrieving the rest of his belongings from the staff room. With all of his folders and books now stuffed into his french vanilla satchel, Dream slung the bag over his shoulder before leaving to meet up with Palette as he always did.

Stepping around the corner, he reached the front desk. Palette hasn't arrived yet, presumably just leaving cheerleading practice. Dream turned to face Miss Muffet's desk, walking a couple steps forward to meet her.

"Afternoon Muffet, you're looking bored as always!" Dream joked, Muffet exhaled a small "heh" before setting her papers aside. Dream smiled calmly, resting his forearms on the counter. Leaning forwards as he allowed his satchel to hang by his side.

"It's nice to see you again Dream, how have you been?" Muffet asked, her hands politely laid beside her keyboard. Dreams mind went blank as he spaced out in thought. Dream blinked himself out of his small trance, staring around the room confused before his eyes caught onto Muffet again. Shaking his head, Dream let out a nervous laugh along with an "I'm fine! how are you?"

"Hey, dad! You ready to go?" Palette called out, holding the straps of his backpack as he stopped by Dreams side.

"Yep! Let's go." Dream responded, waving Miss Muffet goodbye as they both left.

As soon as the two left, the aura around them fell drastically, giving a much more gloomy vibe. It had been only a day or so since Y/N went missing, effecting all that knew.

Palette seemed to notice his dad's drastic change of mood.

"H-Hey! It'll be alright! A-All we need to do is think positive!" Palette assured hugging Dreams left arm, trying his absolute hardest to be happier. Dream looked down at Palette giving a sad smile before pulling him into a hug.

"Yeah, thanks Palette... I haven't been handling this all too well..." Dream sighed, letting go of Palette before heading to the car.

The two began to drive down to Nightmares house. From after what happened yesterday, it seems Nightmare became more dull, lifeless... He had been so protective over Y/N that now that she's gone he feels alone. So Dream and Palette had been visiting Nightmare every day to ensure that he would feel less lonely, so he would know that he does have a shoulder to cry on no matter what. Dream insisted that they stayed at Nightmares house until this whole thing was over, or at least till Nightmare got better. Nightmare seemed to like that idea, only being known by a simple nod.

Taking his keys out of the ignition, both Dream and Palette grabbed their bags and went to the front door.

Dream fiddled with the keys before grabbing hold of the right one and inserting it in the door. He stepped in first, searching the room for his brother as he made his way inwards. Palette following from behind.

"Brother? We're home." Dream notified, placing his satchel on the kitchen counter. Nightmare stayed silent, sitting on the couch while hugging his knees. His dull lavender eyelights stared blankly at the television.

It pained Dream to see his brother in such a state, which made him more determined to help. Palette dropped his bag at the end of the couch, sitting next to his uncle before hugging him. Nightmare flinched, not making eye contact with him. Palette tightened his hold, intertwining his fingers on the other side of Nightmares now quivering body. Nightmare turned his body slightly to hug Palette back.