Late Valentine's Day Special 200k Reads Prologue

Takes place during the Lostbelts.

It was a peaceful day in New Chaldea. Finishing my report on the Olympus Lostbelt and feeling hungry I walk out of My Room and heads to the cafeteria. When I made it to the cafeteria I noticed so many Servants reading books.

"I didn't know so many Servants were bookworms..." I mumbled. I left after eating my food and took a stroll down the hall. I pass by Fionn and Gawain who are apparently absorbed in their books because they bumped into each other.

"Oh, pardon me. I was so caught up in this book I didn't even see you! Hm? What sort of masterful writing could cause a man as great as myself to make such a careless mistake? Oh, it's nothing, really. Just a book with the simple title of 'Fionn mac Cumhail: Knight of Gold.' I have to say, I never knew reading could be so much fun!" Fionn said.

Gawain simple smiles, "not at all, good sir. If anyone should beg pardon here, it is I. I am in the same boat as you, Sir Fionn. These days, I spend much more time broadening my mind than I do practicing my sword. I, too, never thought I would ever be so engaged with books... but these neat rows of letters written out on paper are far more engaging than I ever thought possible.

It has been quite enjoyable, going back to basics like this."

Fionn nods his head in understanding, "I know exactly what you mean. I don't even need to consult my thum... er, Finegas, to understand where you are coming from. We knights are no more than men who have only tales of bravery and valor to our names, after all. My beloved wife would be worried sick if she saw me so absorbed in a book, of all things. In fact, she would almost certainly suspect me of using it to cover up adultery, or some other distasteful business! Not that I would ever do anything of the sort, of course. I trust things are similar in your order as well, Gawain?"

"That they are. At least for me. Say, could I trouble you to lend me that book once you are finished with it, Sir Fionn?" Gawain asked him.

"By all means. I would be happy to let you read it. Now, what's that you're reading there? I see. So it's called 'Sir Gawain and the Green Knight'..."

"That explains it..." I muttered, figuring it out. I continued walking and decided to go to the Command Room. I arrived there and spot Mash silently sitting on the floor reading a book.

"Fou!" Fou jumps on Mash's shoulder alerting her of my presence.

"S-Senpai! Wh-when did you get here!?" She blush in embarrassment.

"Just now." I said.

She stands to her feet and bows, "I'm so sorry I didn't notice you sooner!"

"What're you reading, Mash?" I curiously asked.

"The Iliad, Homer's Greek epic. It's about the Trojan War. The one Achilles and Hecktor fought in."

"Didn't a guy names Heinrich Schliemann excavate the ruins of Troy?" I questioned.

"Yes, he did! The Iliad was thought to be entirely fictional for a long time, but thanks to Heinrich Schliemann, an archaeologist from the late nineteenth century, many people now believe this story reflects real historic events. It's a true Mystic, weaving history and mythology together like few other historical works." She explains, her purple eyes lighting up.

"Sure seems like a lot of people have caught the reading bug." I stated, remembering the Servants and staff I saw reading books.

"Oh, really?" She takes a look around the room and sees the Servants absorbed in their books.

"Yes, it looks like they have! We didn't often see Servants reading, but now we seem to have books everywhere. And there's a very simple explanation for that. Namely..... we have a library now!"