.34

jeongin stared at seungmin for so long his vision went blurry, seungmin's shape going in and out of focus as if he were on a lucid dream and on his way to a boss fight with an evil demon.

what could seungmin possibly want to talk to him about? god, if it was related to hyunjin... it had to be related to hyunjin, whatever they talked about in secrecy on that classroom. oh, no. what if seungmin was about to announce he was interested in him? jeongin wouldn't allow it. seungming was just... just... not right for him! yes! that was it.

seungmin took another sip of his coffee and his sharp stare was on jeongin now, full of meaning. meaning which jeongin couldn't possibly decipher (mainly because he wasn't a fucking mind reader, geez) but only dread.

"what do you know about the senior campfire party?" seungmin finally spoke out.

jeongin startled at having the almost same words thrown back at him. what could that possibly mean? and why was that even important?

well, at least it wasn't about dumb hyunjin.

"what about the party?" jeongin asked, genuinely confused.

he hadn't even enjoyed it. there had been intoxicated people stumbling around each other, tv-static-like music and then a drunk chan and hyunjin and there were fists and a torch and... oh.

jesus christ. jeongin was in trouble.

the night came flashing violently right through his mind, like the headlights of a bus out of control as jeongin tried to cross a street. he had beaten bang chan unconscious. there was blood. he was sure that, if they went back to those woods the traces of blood could still be seen on the rocks, soil, stray branches, fallen leaves.

and maybe that was just what seungmin did: he was an undercover cop posing as a sophomore in high school just to bring justice on delinquents. he probably went to the crime site with a police dog (and in his mind he could talk just like scooby-doo), touched the ground with his bare hands, took a deep heavy breath and said, "yes, this land is definitely cursed with the blood of innocents."

"it's of crucial importance for you to share information of what you remember from that night." seungmin stated. he was definitely a cop. fuck. seungmin briefly diverted his eyes to felix, "i've heard you and hyunjin both appeared covered in blood at the end of the night."

should jeongin flee the country?

"i... uh-huh," jeongin laughed awkwardly, hand raising to scratch the back of his neck as a form to somehow comfort himself. "i-i assure you i can't remember a single thing." another nervous laughter: "i was maaad drunk, dude. wow, couldn't even think straight, haha..."

seungmin stared at him. jeongin recoiled into himself as a knee-jerk reaction. did seungmin have the power to arrest him? would he handcuff him? if seungmin was really a cop, jeongin could be arrested on the sight right now for giving false information.

then seungmin looked down, letting out a deep sigh, shoulder falling down as if he was a puppet whose string had been cut.

he ran a hand through his face. he looked conflicted: "thank you for your cooperation, jeongin. you can go now."

jeongin blankly stared at him. then turned to look at felix, who had a dreadful glint of suspicion on his eyes as he examined him, hand scratcing at an invisible beard.

jeongin was in such a hurry to get out of that room he bumped into five stacks of papers and had to help collect them all and put them back into place.

***

"what in the flying holy cow was that?" jeongin exclaimed when he finally got felix alone.

felix was typing away at his phone, "an interrogation. for the school's newspaper."

jeongin frowned at his friend, "it didn't have to do with the police, did it?"

"no, no! we want to go to the bottom of it ourselves," felix looked up at him, the usual mischief in his eyes. jeongin mourned at the innocent felix he knew not so long ago. "our plan is to be the first ones to divulge the big news."

"which is...?" jeongin pressed.

felix rose from his comfortable place on the stairs to glance at both sides of the corridor, and then up at the stairs.

he got close to jeongin's face and whispered on his, "we can't talk about chan being a suspect here."

"chan? a suspect? of what?" jeongin raised his voice by surprise, completely taken aback. felix covered his mouth with his hand, face pale.

"i said we couldn't talk about it here!"

"'m sorry!" jeongin's heartfelt apology was muffled under felix's hand.

felix sighed and let him go, going back to his phone.

"so, what about janet wilson?" jeongin said after some minutes of silence, only filled with the noise of typing sound effects coming from felix's phone.

felix giggled.

"a loooong story," he started. "there was this student in the — i don't know, the nineties? — who ran a gossip column on the newspaper, and she was just godtier savage. she was merciless and the whole school was scared of her. she was janet wilson. or at least what people called her."

felix grinned at him, all teeth. "i am janet wilson now. have been for a while..."

jeongin lifted a brow, "is that the reason why you have your hand glued to your phone?"

felix pointed a finger gun at him.

life was going downhill, it seemed. nothing made sense anymore. the play, hyunjin, chan, felix, seungmin, none if them were what they seemed to be. was life all just a big fat lie? was his name even jeongin? was his mom even his mom? was he even alive and not living in a simulation? what came next? the earth was round and people poured cereal before the milk?

most importantly, what could chan possibly be a suspect of? the guy was literally a golden child. he helped jeongin to study, then helped both him and hyunjin on that godawful chemistry project, then helped jeongin again with studying for english. the guy was a saint.

something just didn't feel right about thinking chan as an evil person. of course, sometimes he became too much and couldn't stop touching jeongin's thighs and that night at the party he looked really scary, as though he would grab jeongin and...

oh, no.