.39

hyunjin appeared out of breath when jeongin packing up to leave.

he was panting like a thirsty dog on a hot day, and holding all his weight on the hand he had on the wall, right next to jeongin's head, trapping him on the corner.

"are you okay? did you get hurt?" he inquired, agitated.

hyunjin had this concerned look on his face that made something churn inside jeongin, like an urge to care for him. which was dumb, since it was jeongin himself who had fainted in the middle of a room full of people.

"i'm fine," was all that jeongin said, making mention of trying to break free from the tight space between the wall and hyunjin. he was sulking a bit. hyunjin wasn't in the room when he woke up, neither had texted him to check his well-being. but it wasn't like jeongin could just demand hyunjin to explain his whereabouts. he wasn't his jealous boyfriend or anything like that.

so he just pushed hyunjin's hand out of the way and began walking down the empty corridor.

after having most of the theater crew suffocating him about his bravery to perform dressed as the opposite gender in such a high-staking competition (with, what jeongin had just learned that day, was with a rival school!) to defy gender roles in the art department, jeongin was a bit tired. he didn't want to make part of some movement or be the voice of a generation! he just... wanted to perform, goddammit!

but all unanimously agreed that that would be the main theme of their play: gender roles. jeongin's character wouldn't be a girl anymore, but a queer boy who liked crossdressing.

because, jeongin thought sarcastically, it was a great idea to change the script a week before the big performance, eh?

so jeongin, right after coming from the infirmary from hitting his head from dramatically fainting, had to spend the rest of the day scratching a big chunk of his lines to comply with the slight change in the plot. like "independent woman!" was swapped for "independent skirt-dressing young man!" and such.

thank god taylor was a unisex name, or else jeongin would make soonyoung rewrite the whole script himself.

and now, after so much suffering, he had to deal with hwang hyunjin, too.

"felix said you had amnesia," hyunjin insisted, catching up with him down the hall, "is that true?"

jeongin scoffed and walked faster. "if i didn't remember you, i wouldn't be running away from you, would i?"

it all happened too fast: first jeongin was power-walking through the empty hallway, almost close enough to touch the doors leading to the exit, and the next moment his back crashed into a wall as if he was some movie star's stunt double filming an action scene. and hyunjin was, apparently, the boss fight.

he had one brow arched in defiance, looking down at jeongin like they really were about to fight. but he only said, tone amused: "you know what? i don't remember you running away that often these days..."

jeongin flushed all the way to his chest. while trying to give a snappy comeback, he realized he was only giving hyunjin what he wanted, since jeongin could be found sputtering non-sense like a toddler.

so he just glared at the taller boy, the dynamic already too familiar and comfortable: hyunjin pulled, he pushed.

jeongin pushed hyunjin away with his hand to the other's chest. the lean muscles in hyunjin's pecs not at all familiar, making jeongin's confidence waver a bit. but he kept through as his feet apparently detached from the mind and automatically led his body to the exit, saving him from any more embarrassment.

hyunjin could be heard following him right behind, and jeongin was too aware of that to notice the same bad-boy motorcycle parked right on top of the painted fake grass of the school property. it was right next to a sign clearly stating the grass should not be stepped on.

jeongin paled. they were breaking rules! what if seungmin was peering through those windows on the second floor, just waiting for a tiny mistake to put jeongin in jail?

jeongin grabbed hyunjin by the shirt when he caught on. he pulled him closer and hissed, "what are you doing? you'll be suspended!"

but once he took a look at hyunjin's face, jeongin only saw unmistakable smugness, a lazy smile and witty eyes.

"and what about it?" hyunjin challenged.

jeongin was too tired to squabble. he just loosened the grip he had on hyunjin's shirt and let him walk up to the bike, straddle it, put his hands on the handle, and give jeongin the sexiest smirk he'd ever seen on hyunjin's face.

he said, "i'm not stepping on the grass, am i?"

his feet were hovering just above the artificial lawn for a second. and then, to jeongin's surprise, he suddenly started the vehicle, and jeongin saw his life flash through his eyes when the motorcycle came right in his direction.

with a scream, jeongin held his arms in front of him, a useless attempt of stopping what could be a literally hit by a motorcycle.

but when peeked through his eyelashes, jeongin saw that hyunjin had just brought it closer.

hyunjin offered him a helmet. jeongin took it.

"hop on," hyunjin ordered.

and after jeongin cautiously put the helmet on, he found his place behind hyunjin, looped his arms around his middle, and braced himself for the speed.