.06

"you know, it's really suspicious how you didn't really insist on it." felix pointed out after jeongin told him all about his lunch time adventure.

they were walking home, as their houses were pretty close to each other's and jeongin's mom didn't trust jeongin to walk home alone and the school bus was nasty.

"about what?" jeongin asked, confused. he'd told him the most intense day of his life yet, and that was how felix reacted? he didn't congratulate him for getting what seemed like a date with his crush and also didn't even try to squish his cheeks and tell him he was growing up, what was really weird.

"finding another partner, of course!" felix said like it was obvious. "i mean, why did you ask changbin when seungmin would give up his partner for you in a blink of an eye? do you want chan this much?"

yeah, like, he could have asked seungmin and he'd most likely say yes because one, he owed him one and two, they were best friends. but of course he'd try to ask changbin first! even though he also was a senior and it'd get the teacher a good headache if he found out a senior and a freshman were partnering up for some reason, but he'd get chan! also, he was really good in chemistry! seungmin could never compare!

"from all i told, that's what you have to say?"

"what i have to say is that you're blind." felix said.

jeongin stopped in the middle of the road, turning to felix who had come to a halt too, eating a popsicle without bothering with the cold weather.

"oh, my god. do you think he's playing me?" maybe he really was reading chan's intentions in the wrong way.

"who?"

"chan! he wants me in the campfire party!"

"he wants you in the party?"

"i've been yelling that at you for ten minutes!" jeongin was losing it.

"hm? why so suddenly?" felix mumbled to himself, pointing the popsicle to his face as if it was one of his fingers. "have you acted out of normal lately?"

"what? what do you mean?" jeongin was more than confused.

"like, NOTICE-ME-CHAN!!! kind of behavior?" felix shouted in the middle of the streets, scaring the hell out of jeongin.

"no? i haven't!" he pushed felix off, almost making the older drop his popsicle that was starting to melt all over his hand. gross.

"hm." it was all felix said, then both of them started to walk again, everything too quiet to speak anything again after all the shouting.

but halfway into their street, felix suddenly turned to him, a serious look on his face. "look, i just think you should focus on school... you know, studying and that play you're so obsessed on. don't... get involved too much."

jeongin wanted to roll his eyes and say yes, mom, but it really felt like something serious when it came out of felix's mouth like that, his not-popsicle-clammy hand on his shoulder and the sunset happening behind his head when jeongin looked at his face.

"then should i not go to the party?"

"i'm not saying that. specially if there's a chance chan won't light up the fire. that would cause chaos. but i think he was just kidding. anyway, just don't dive in blindly."

into the fire? jeongin thought, but that sounded too stupid to say out loud, so he didn't voice it out.

they got home, and the conversation died there. but jeongin kept thinking about it and wondering what felix had meant.

as soon as he shut his bedroom's door and carelessly threw his backpack on the floor, his phone dinged inside his pocket.

hwang😑
i'm at the door
come open for me

what? what was hyunjin doing there?

me
tf you doing at my house
i'm not opening for you 😡

hwang😑
no need to
ur mom let me in
on ur room rn

and as soon as jeongin read the text, as if on cue, hyunjin busted inside his bedroom.

jeongin jumped 10 feet into the air, heart trying to race out of his ribs. falling into his bed, jeongin grabbed his chest, trying to calm down, panting hard as hyunjin only watched him almost have a heart attack.

"i almost died!" jeongin yelled at him.

hyunjin rolled his eyes.

"what are you doing here, anyway?" jeongin snapped.

"you said we should talk later." hyunjin came closer to where he was on the bed. "we'll talk now."