.27

jeongin wasn't surprised when they got an f. disappointed? yes. surprised? no. they shouldn't have give chan up and do it themselves.

"i remember you bragging about your chemistry skills just one week ago!" jeongin insisted, there was no way hyunjin could have gotten it wrong!

"i told you i forgot! that's how my brain works! study, do the test, forget, repeat." hyunjin sighed, defeated.

jeongin eyed him for a moment, noticing how tired hyunjin looked, head buried on his arms, hugging his knees. they were sitting on the stairs, killing time until their next class, jeongin realizing that maybe it all was too much for hyunjin. well, they were different! maybe jeongin could juggle an acting career, a chemistry project, and domestic drama, but maybe it took a toll on hyunjin.

"okay! it's not all lost, we still have a play to prepare to!" jeongin tried to lift their self-esteem, patting hyunjin's shoulder, letting his touch linger a little more than necessary. they hadn't talked about the kiss since they were interrupted, but as they were both going through a very stressful time, jeongin decided to keep quiet.

he removed his hand from his shoulder, reaching for his script so they could practice.

***

"i cannot believe i lost two kisses in a row," felix tsked, disappointed, glancing down at his phone, wildly typing on it. "i mean, i basically made them happen!"

jeongin took a break from blushing to look at felix horrified, "what?"

felix stopped typing, eyes wide. "huh. i mean, didn't i cut you off your bullshit at the start of the year? about you liking him ogling at you all the time?"

jeongin snapped his head at him, "he ogles me?"

felix gave him a side-glance. then put down his phone.

"okay, innie, i'll break the news to you. i'm not a specialist, but i think you're experiencing initial symptoms of obliviousness."

jeongin rolled his eyes.

"it's a serious condition and i'd say it can only be treated with a true love's kiss, but since that didn't work..." felix flashed him a mischievous smile, "desperate times call for desperate measures."

jeongin slapped his arm, "stop!"

felix slumped back on the cushioned auditorium seat, chuckling.

"yeah, innie, he ogles you a lot." felix stated, "it's surprising you haven't noticed. everybody has."

"everybody?" jeongin looked around. there weren't many people for rehearsal yet, and that was why he'd been letting felix talk like that in the first place. he looked back at felix demanding an answer, but felix remained quiet.

***

rehearsal left him tired to the bone, sluggish as he climbed the stairs to his room after dinner. his afternoon had been uneventful -- well, as uneventful as it could be in the drama club, since seungkwan couldn't possibly go one day without making a scene and yelling at everyone --, but jeongin still felt like his limbs were way heavier than usual.

it seemed that all the juggling jeongin was doing finally took a toll on him, too.

he could feel himself descend into a state of self-deprecation when his phone lighted up with a text from hyunjin:

hwang😑
hey
did you get home safely??

me
yeah ^^
wby

hwang😑
me 2 :)

jeongin stared at the screen. it was the most civil conversation they'd ever had through texting. suddenly, hyunjin's contact name felt wrong, and he quickly changed it. both of them had changed through this journey. they were wiser now. or so jeongin hoped.

hwang😑 has been changed to jinnie💕

jinnie💕
...
can i ask you a question?

jeongin instantly felt his hands go cold, slightly trembling as he typed.

me
shoot

would hyunjin talk about the kiss(es)? were they doing this now? like, right now? jeongin didn't have any experience with discussions about kissing, especially with the person he did it with. he'd never even kissed before! oh... damn. hyunjin really was his first, huh?

he forcefully gulped down his internal dialogue when hyunjin started typing. and typing. and typing...

the sentence jinnie💕 is typing... kept appearing and disappearing for a whole minute until jeongin could finally see hyunjin's message:

jinnie💕
i just did hehe
you were foooooled 🤣🤣🤣🤣

jinnie💕 has been changed to hwang😑