.51

jeongin didn't feel like a main character anymore.

for starters, he lost his private dressing room, doomed to share the communal atrocity of a backstage he was in right now, having to bear loud chatter and nervous line rehearsal of the crowd of actors and staff constantly walking around like a swarm of bees.

at the very least, they weren't forced to share it with the other school, neo culture high, which drove there not only with one or two, but three huge mobile trucks. they got jeongin's knees shivering in fear once he was able to get a glimpse of their costumes: all sci-fi stuff, in a shakespearen play!

the anticipation was killing him. jeongin was this close to throw everything into the air and run outside screaming, but he was too professional to bail on the performance. he was awesome like that.

he kept his cool even when he wasn't able to retouch his makeup because every single mirror was blocked with electoral posters. the one in front of him was from han jisung's campaign, said boy had his cheeks squished together in a disgusting attempt to appear cute. jeongin was enraged.

even more so when he could hear both jisung and minho take rows in trying to brainwash people into voting for them. the elections were tomorrow, but still! such disrespect!

"i don't even go here, you're aware of that, right?" said a makeup artist from jeonghan's team that had been kind enough to help jeongin on his situation.

jisung just grinned like a real corrupt polititian and murmured behind a cupped hand: "no one needs to know that," and winked.

he gave a pamphlet to her.

jisung turned to him, "and you, jeongin..."

jeongin sent a homicidal glare at his direction. jisung didn't dare to say anything else.

at the other side of the room, seungkwan could be found moping, though he made a visible effort to pretend he wasn't being affected. earlier that day, seungkwan dragged jeongin to talk to jeonghan. the boy just condescendingly shook his head, and, while patting seungkwan's shoulder, said, "don't worry, boo, if it all goes as i planned, then it'll go well."

jeongin sighed. everything was spiraling out of control.

as soon as the thought went through his head, a loud crash startled everyone in the room, including jeongin.

turning and half-hearing the makeup artist yelp angrily at jeongin's sudden movement as she tried to apply eyeshadow on him, jeongin saw hyunjin, who had just arrived.

although they were (jeongin assumed) in not really good therms, jeongin was relieved to see him. he was so late jeongin feared he'd quit because of their small fight. jeongin should know better than think he held that much power over hyunjin.

hyunjin had also accidentally knocked out a very expensive-looking set of stage lights to the floor.

jeonghan ran to the crime scene, ready to berate whoever had done such a thing, but once he took a look at hyunjin, measured him from head to toe, jeongin realized hyunjin had other problems.

"what sort of costume is this? go change!" jeonghan ordered.

with one glance at it, one could easily see that was not a simple high school student outfit. hyunjin had the full alex turner impersonation once again: sunglasses, leather jacket, skinny jeans, black boots, and to top it all off, an elephant's trunk hairstyle. the toothpick made another appearance. jeongin was... pleased. to say the least.

but that was not hyunjin's costume! he was supposed to be the good guy-friend of the protagonist, the boy-next-door type, so it was understandable when jeonghan started to lose his mind a little bit: not only did hyunjin arrive late, but also got there with the wrong costume!

hyunjin didn't flinch or so much reacted to jeonghan's demands. he took the toothpick out of his mouth, raked a hand over his gel-saturated hair, and shrugged.

"my assistant bailed on me to be part of the cast, so it's not my fault," he said cheekily.

jeonghan yelled at the crowd, "who's his assistant? show yourself!"

jisung stopped begging for the vote of the actor next to jeongin and sneakily hid under his chair. the rest of the people stayed silent.

jeonghan groaned loudly.

"just go! we don't have time to waste!"

hyunjin shrugged again.

jeongin looked down, watching how jisung squirmed under the chair and banged his head on a nearby table. he wanted so much for them to be okay again so they could pep talk each other before the big event. hyunjin seemed just fine, but jeongin was a noise away from chewing his nails raw. what if it all went to waste? they'd spent months working on it. jeongin didn't want to lose... he just didn't. he didn't take failure very well, although that was the only thing he was able to do recently.

jeongin wanted to scream out of frustration, pull his hair out from the roots--

wait! jeongin's hands flew to his head. his hair! where was his wig?

heart rate picking up, jeongin abruptly stood up from the chair, ignoring the makeup artist's protest so he could roam around the room in search of any costumes that were left.

he searched and searched but didn't find any wigs. he was dead.

one minute later, he was tapping on jeonghan's shoulder.

"have you seen my wig?" jeongin asked nervously once jeonghan turned to give him attention.

jeonghan just rolled his eyes, "you're not a girl anymore, jeongin. your character is a boy who likes crossdressing. you don't need a wig for that."

"but... but! what about 'look at his coiffed and crispy locks'?" he desperately insisted, quoting one line of the song they were going to perform.

jeonghan just darted him an annoyed look and hissed, "just forget it."

before jeongin could protest any further, one of jeonghan's staff came to him and announced neo culture high was ready to start.

jeongin lowered his head, squeezing his eyes tightly so he wouldn't ruin his makeup with tears.